Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-May-2005, 12:25
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by JPM
Could you not just push the tank/seat assembly forward as close as you get the tank to the yokes (if you've got a mono) would this not move weight forward?

Movign seat/tank forward alters weight fore/aft distribution, it will put more weight further forward but doesn't alter riders position. I've been thinking about this since it came up and I'd say you can get the same effect by dropping the bars down the fork ( not the same as pushing forks up though yoke which actually alters head angle), the bars would end up the same amount lower than the seat as if you raised the seat pad and you'd push more weight onto the nose in exactly the same way. if you raise the seat height ( not ride height) it has to increase c of g and theres no way that can be beneficial. We've tested mountain bikes at pretty high DH speeds and i can guarantee anyone whos done it with different BB heights will prefer one thats lower. Add in the where it places your weight at high angles of lean and increases the distance from contact patch and once again it ain't good. Obviously theres some sideways and forces to consider in that one. I'm aware MTB doesn't relate to motorbikes in the same way as you've got much higher lean angles and the balance between machine/rider weight is vastly different but I'd take a bit of convincing that moving weight up is good

I'd say the benefit is the riders ergonomic preferences, most people prefer the race type position for fast road/track use which the 999 doesn't really have, its long and flat rather than arse up a la 998 etc, raising the seat height puts you back in that nose down/arse high position which means you can feel the front end and it feels more secure or planted hence the impression its better ( which it probably is).

Reading about Toselands F05 Ducati have moved a lot of weight down to lower c of g, the only reason to move seat up is if you can't get bars low enough as they might catch fairing. I'd think its the relationship between bars/seat which is the critical factor but hey, I'm just an armchair race engineer, Moto GP 2 on X box anyone
Old 27-May-2005, 14:01
Mille

Mood: 1098s...oh yes
I,ve recently purchased a high level race seat from Protwins , with the tank and seat unit pushed completely forward, the difference at Rockingham was very noticable. Being around 6ft the bike turned better ...highly recommend
Old 27-May-2005, 14:20
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by Green1
I,ve recently purchased a high level race seat from Protwins , with the tank and seat unit pushed completely forward, the difference at Rockingham was very noticable. Being around 6ft the bike turned better ...highly recommend

Had you tried lowering the handlebars on the fork legs before that?, I'd be interested to know if that had same effect. My bars are pushed up against the top crown so i think can be lowered.

When you say "it turned better" was that on the entry into the turn, through turn when bike is leant over, more stable or easier to get on gas out of turn or just because it flicked from one side to the other through an S bend easier??

Height might actually come into it, i'm quite small so sit a long way forward over the tank anyway, the taller you are the more you'll slide back in seat to get the most comfortable stretch to bars.

This one's really doing my head in trying to work it out.
Old 27-May-2005, 15:31
Mille

Mood: 1098s...oh yes
For the reasoning on Why..? I'm no expert.

Give either Brett or Rob a call at Protwins with there race knowledge they have the experience ......on 01342 892888
Old 27-May-2005, 18:24
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by Green1

Can I ask what you paid?
Old 27-May-2005, 19:08
500SD

Mood: Out with the grey....in with the satin black
Quote:
Originally posted by andyb

Can I ask what you paid?

Pro-twins quoted me £200 + vat a couple of weeks ago

[Edited on 27-5-2005 by Wylie1]