Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Jan-2005, 22:11
Big Twin
Bikes: KTM Arsey Ocho

Mood: retiring
Introductions and 749 Advice

Hi all,

This is my first post on the board, pleased to meet you all.
I have 620 Monster at the moment, but looking for a change.
The Hot favourite, currently, is a 749s. I have insurance sorted and it seems to be the best bike for me. However, I am trying to make sure that I get a good one and would appreciate any pointers for things to look out for. I will not buy new, I have learned about depriciation on a new bike on the monster, so I am looking at an 04 or even 03 bike. Obviously, the bank account will prefer an 03 so I am wondering 1) what are the differences between the 03/04?
2)what problems am I likely to come across.
3) A termigionis going to upset the resale value.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Al
Old 17-Jan-2005, 22:22
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
welcome aboard. mines a vodka redbull cheers.

im sure the 749 experts will be along soon.
Old 17-Jan-2005, 22:34
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
The '03 749 and 749S have the same engine as each other. The S has full Showa suspension and titanium nitride forks, plus a Showa steering damper. The 749 has a Boge rear shock and damper, plus lower spec Showa forks.

The '04 749 and 749 Dark have the same engine as each other, which is the same spec as the '03 749. Chassis spec is the same as each other, but the Dark doesn't have a steering damper. The '04 749S has an upgraded engine with a touch more power. It has different cams and a higher compression ratio.

There are no major problems except for the usual used bike things. The only extra problem I would watch out for is stalling on idle on an '04 749S. They seem quite prone to it happening, but usually early in their life (under 1000m). My 749S started doing it at about 1200. It's fixed by getting a dealer to set up the cam timing correctly - they need a very accurate 'tool' of some description that was issued by Ducati after the first cases were reported.

Depending on the model of Termi fitted, they can add a few quid to the bike. I think the most popular is the asymmetric system (basically a slip on) and this would probably add about £500 to the price of the bike.

Hope that helps! A test ride on a 749 will probably sell you
Old 17-Jan-2005, 22:51
Big Twin

Thanks Guys!
That would explain why there is a bit of a difference in cost between the 04s and 03s.
I have test ridden the standard 749 and loved it, but found that the insurance was the same for the S so have set my sights on that. I also find that the monos are more available on the S which, to me, is a real plus for the bike.
Are there any negatives for the S??
Thanks for your info!!

[Edited on 17-1-2005 by ak47]
Old 17-Jan-2005, 23:11
Big Twin

Another issue is living with the 749.

I commute on my bike at the moment, I am the sort of person that will use the bike everyday, if I can. Not far, 6 miles through london. I am told that the pressure on your wrists is more bearable than the early bike, 748 say. However, on the test ride my back side was feeling it after little more than an hour. does it get better at speed? or can you get softer seats (I am sure that sort of ting is frowned upon but I thought I'd ask)?
The other option is to get a cheap "courier" bike and save the Duc for weekends, but that seems like a waste.

That's all for now, I sure I have more!

[Edited on 17-1-2005 by ak47]
Old 17-Jan-2005, 23:33
Big Twin

I don't commute either, and I agree with DCR, it does get at your wrists when riding in town. The seat hasn't been a problem for me (guess its all the excess padding on the glutes!!).

Motorways are no trouble, and I found it a little comfier than 748s and 996s I tried before I bought the 749.

I've just had Termi asymmetric system fitted to mine (although its yet to be set up), and the sound is fantastic, really addictive!

I think you should go for it, theres plenty of knowledgable people here...you won't regret it at all.
Old 17-Jan-2005, 23:34
Big Twin

I have seen one for sale with titanium cans, they sound flash.....are they?
Old 17-Jan-2005, 23:35
Big Twin

Any idea of ball park cost for Termigoni carbon slip-ons?
Sorry for all the questions. One day i'll have answers
Old 17-Jan-2005, 23:50
Mille

Mood: Bring the noise!
AK47,

I've got a '04 749s. Fantactic bike. Try and look for one with the asymetric muffler kit as they are around 800-1000 pounds to buy + fitting and setup.

Commutting that distance shouldn't be too bad either. The clutch is a little heavy but you soon get used to it
Old 17-Jan-2005, 23:53
500SD

Mood: 2 for 1 mmm :)
hey Ak, Guinness please.

i just joined the boards in the December after purchasing an 03 749s only done 600 miles, i havnt actually riden her yet, cant wait till march to get out in the fine weather.

There is a massive wealth of experience and knowledge on these forums that is priceless ! and everyones great.

ive been pricing up some Termis as well, here what ive found, this is the full price for some.

http://www.ducati-spares.com/acatalog/999_exhausts.html

/ian