Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Oct-2005, 11:09
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally posted by galaxy
Just so I understand...you're running the stock ECU with the PC3 and not the new Termi ECU? I was curious myself just what exactly the new ECU actually does. After installing my system and the ECU it still ran like crap. Had to go get it tuned anyways. Running great now (except for my flat spot) but left me curious as to how it would run if I left the stock ECU in and had it tuned to match the system??? Just what exactly did the Termi ECU actually change...rev limiter, timing, fuel mapping, all of the above??

I am running Termis on the standard ecu. Some Ducati dealers say they run better this way, though as HW says, they do run a bit lean. Hence the PC. At the moment mine runs great without the PC but I prefer to keep the engine healthy and will fit a pc3.

The map that comes with the PC3 for a 749 with termis was rubbish on my bike, it had a big flat spot at 5000rpm ish and also ran really rich at times. Would like to try a few other maps.
Old 03-Oct-2005, 11:30
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by 749er
I am running Termis on the standard ecu. Some Ducati dealers say they run better this way, though as HW says, they do run a bit lean. Hence the PC. At the moment mine runs great without the PC but I prefer to keep the engine healthy and will fit a pc3.

The map that comes with the PC3 for a 749 with termis was rubbish on my bike, it had a big flat spot at 5000rpm ish and also ran really rich at times. Would like to try a few other maps.

Beware ... I was running Termi with stock ECU for a week or so (only on the road), until the prebooked day for the PC3 fitting. Max was very concerned when I fetched the bike as in his opinion it was runing DANGEROUSLY lean. He explained the graphs of before and after and you can see it is way out at higer rpm. He was worried that I had been running on trackdays like that.

He did also say that the response varied a lot with temperature, and thought that with mine running at about 70C or just over most of the time it was running very (too) cool. In the summer heat sat in traffic it did cook up very fast to over 100C but as soonas I started moving again it went down ito the high 70's. These days it is running at 70C.

[Edited on 3-10-2005 by HW]
Old 03-Oct-2005, 11:40
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
I think you are over complicating this. The idea od downloading loading someone elses map is brilliant in theory, til you ask, where was their bike at, and where is mine?

If you do upload someone elses map, are you going to then check it on a dyno? In which case, you might of as well had the dyno place do it in the first place.

If not, are you any better off, do you really know how your bike is running?
Old 03-Oct-2005, 12:04
Big Twin

A valid point Andy, but someone running same year stock 749 with the asymetric Termi is (likely to be) closer to the mark using a map that was done on my bike with same set up than using some other basic map for some other set up. It might not have been tuned to the whole bike, but should hopefully correct any dangerous (to the bike) fuelling errors. After all, that is exactly what you get when you buy the Termi and use the provided ECU isn't it?

[Edited on 3-10-2005 by HW]
Old 04-Oct-2005, 05:34
Mille

From what I understand from my experiences with my mechanic, the stock ECU is programmable, but only to a point. They can change the mixture. BUT, the change applies to the entire rpm range. You can not target certain ranges so any adjustment made, applies all the time. With this in mind, this is why I am so curious about what good the Termi ECU does if you can richen up the factory one???
Old 04-Oct-2005, 11:45
Big Twin

OK, well the fuel/air misture is adjustable for sure. I have a graph here showing the mixture settings across the rev range with the Termi and stock ECU and it was WAY out. Dangerously lean in fact, Dynomax were very concered that I had maybe been using it for trackdays with it set like that because it would have caused problems. In fact, I hadn't.

SO, programmable to a point, but I do not think you will get it rich enough with the stock ECU for the Termi, without help. Also, the mapping is not programmable and that is what used to be in the form of a replacement chip, but not is a replacemnet ECU. Or so I understand.
Old 22-Oct-2005, 18:21
Big Twin

Well .... that's been a bumpy ride for sure. I took advantage of the custom map which I ended up getting for £30, but there was a flat spot at around 6k - just about where the next gear comes in when fast(ish) road riding. I was invited to bring it back and it went on the dyno again. There was a big dip in the fuel/air mixture (very rich) so they tuned that out. Trouble was, it affects the power response elsewhere too. Got the messy bit at 6k tuned out, but it was horrid further down which I didn't notice until later. Also, the throttle response was all gone, really flat when you opened it up.

Up shot of it is, I decided to try a standard map from Dynojet. They do one for 2004 749 with asymetric Termi and std of aftermarket filters. (M715-504 if anyone is interested). Preliminary tests this afternoon are promising. Throttle response really good, smooth delivery throughout the range. I'll need to go and live with it for a while, but I am smiling again at the moment.
Old 22-Oct-2005, 19:04
Ducati Corse

The standard ECU is only adjustable for the idle CO level. The plan is that this will set the correct mixture right though the rev range and of course it will do exactly that, but only if you are running the bike in standard spec. If you modify the bike then you may very well be able to set the idle CO correctly but it will almost certainly be wrong further up the rev range.
Old 22-Oct-2005, 22:47

I have an 04 749 with a cored-out stock exhaust. I installed the exhaust and brought it to a local shop known for their expert service (BCM in Laconia, New Hamshire, USA). They optimized the stock computer's air/fuel mixture using the Mathesis Tool. I made 100 hp at the rear wheel and 54 ft/lbs. of torque on a conservative dyno. The bike has no flat spots. They install SIL Moto exhusts all the time. They do not come with a ECU. The stock ECU can be modified to any exhaust.
Old 22-Oct-2005, 23:23
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by RI749
I have an 04 749 with a cored-out stock exhaust. I installed the exhaust and brought it to a local shop known for their expert service (BCM in Laconia, New Hamshire, USA). They optimized the stock computer's air/fuel mixture using the Mathesis Tool. I made 100 hp at the rear wheel and 54 ft/lbs. of torque on a conservative dyno. The bike has no flat spots. They install SIL Moto exhusts all the time. They do not come with a ECU. The stock ECU can be modified to any exhaust.

Makes you wonder why they supply the special ECU for the exhaust. Apparently, if you need to buy one they cost £830! I will be getting a replacement under warranty, and as I will not need to fit it at the moment it will remain "unkeyed". Useful if I decide to sell the exhaust seperate to the bike.