Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Feb-2006, 17:59

dremmel??

decided i'd get one whilst at b&q (the only place i could get a t7!ref last thread) now i know carbon749 tackled this on carbon clutch cover and i wish to do the same but where do i start??do i cut from inside outwards or outwards in..

[Edited on 26-2-2006 by JAS749]

Old 19-Feb-2006, 18:04
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
outwards in .... if it spelches then it should be on the inside and not seen.

Sharp tool, fast as possible and do not force it ... let the tool do the cutting.

Don't let it get too hot as you will "burn" the resin and leave the cut line discoloured.

Best thing to do is work out which piece you will cut out / off and then practice on the bit that will become scrap before going for the proper cut.

All that said, don't be put off ... it is easy to do.
Old 19-Feb-2006, 18:15

carbon749..am i fine it do it in a well ventilated room or you suggest mask up and do it out doors..thanks for your pearls of wisdom mate
Old 19-Feb-2006, 18:18
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Depends how much you plan to do. Small amount (clutch cover) ok in garage, anything larger would be best done outdoors.

Try not to breath too much of the dust in, plus the dust is black and can be messy so don't do it in the front room.
Old 19-Feb-2006, 21:04
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Warning!
The cutting will involve partially burning the fibre.
The smoke produced when carbon fibre burns is Carcinogenic.
Ask me how I know....
I went to a helicopter crash where it had subsequently gone up in smoke... Following a call from the Fire Service after they had taken advice from the CAA I then had to go to see the mechanic who had bravely rescued two from the airframe and take him to the hospital to get him x-rayed to ensure that his lungs were clear.
If you are doing this wear a mask & do it out of doors.

The bit in italics is a lift from a report on the hazards caused by burning composite materials including carbon fibre...

In general, hazards to equipment seems to be less than originally expected. Hazards to personnel have not been well studied, but seem to be significant.

Unfortunately, there is no consistent set of guidelines for dealing with mishaps involving composite materials. The ACPO report provides some general guidelines, but it is intended to be used with other documents. Universal guidelines are not possible, because of the widely varying conditions under which accidents can occur, but more research will still be useful.

The report contains three checklists for response, containment, and clean-up actions. The first three items on the respons echecklist are emphasized:

Minimize unnecessary personnel; only firefighters with Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be in the immediate vicinity.
All unprotected personnel should avoid the downwind area of the crash site.
Areas affected by dense smoke should be evacuated, including the removal of mobile, critical equipment.

[Edited on 19-2-2006 by Rushjob]
Old 19-Feb-2006, 23:56
500SD

Plus the dust can give you silicosis. Best wear a mask, huh!
Old 20-Feb-2006, 00:22
500SD

Mood: Warmed up and ready to go
Quote:
Originally posted by Rushjob
Warning!
The cutting will involve partially burning the fibre.
The smoke produced when carbon fibre burns is Carcinogenic.
Ask me how I know....
I went to a helicopter crash where it had subsequently gone up in smoke... Following a call from the Fire Service after they had taken advice from the CAA I then had to go to see the mechanic who had bravely rescued two from the airframe and take him to the hospital to get him x-rayed to ensure that his lungs were clear.
If you are doing this wear a mask & do it out of doors.

The bit in italics is a lift from a report on the hazards caused by burning composite materials including carbon fibre...

In general, hazards to equipment seems to be less than originally expected. Hazards to personnel have not been well studied, but seem to be significant.

Unfortunately, there is no consistent set of guidelines for dealing with mishaps involving composite materials. The ACPO report provides some general guidelines, but it is intended to be used with other documents. Universal guidelines are not possible, because of the widely varying conditions under which accidents can occur, but more research will still be useful.

The report contains three checklists for response, containment, and clean-up actions. The first three items on the respons echecklist are emphasized:

Minimize unnecessary personnel; only firefighters with Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be in the immediate vicinity.
All unprotected personnel should avoid the downwind area of the crash site.
Areas affected by dense smoke should be evacuated, including the removal of mobile, critical equipment.

[Edited on 19-2-2006 by Rushjob]

Interesting....

Everything has a cancer risk...even washing up liquid....smoking(2nd hand)

I was in the RAF and knew a lot of the Mountain Rescue Team members at RAF Kinloss. Theyre job is to primarily rescue downed pilots/aircrew but what they do most of the time is rescue stupid tourists from mountains here in Scotland

I dont think they worry about the carbon fibre deposits much when they arrive on an accident scene though......much more about the arms and legs and heads.....
Old 26-Feb-2006, 12:45

all done

Old 26-Feb-2006, 13:24
Mille

Mood: Sparks will fly. If it keeps on
Looks good. Now just replace them rusty springs with stainless ones job done
Old 26-Feb-2006, 13:59

will do watch this space