Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 28-Dec-2006, 18:06

enduro newbee

im thinking of buying an enduro bike to go out trail ridin with a few mates and occasionally doing the odd enduro race, being new to it and all that i wondered if there is any one here that does enduro who can help me in what bike to go for, im thinkin a ktm exc 450. well thats what me mates ride and are telling me to go for one...would this be a good starting bike ? i have heard they can be a bit of a handfull
Old 28-Dec-2006, 18:47
Ducati Corse

Mood: Looking for a one way ticket to the 'Ring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by booleys749s
im thinking of buying an enduro bike to go out trail ridin with a few mates and occasionally doing the odd enduro race, being new to it and all that i wondered if there is any one here that does enduro who can help me in what bike to go for, im thinkin a ktm exc 450. well thats what me mates ride and are telling me to go for one...would this be a good starting bike ? i have heard they can be a bit of a handfull

I rode a few bikes at a weekend thing in Wales, went from 250-450 four strokes and some 250 2 strokes.
The big KTM was a handful on the technical stuff due to it's weight and the fact it was so keen to get on with it, once you got to the open fast gravel roads it was awesome and very fast (I was a novice at the time, I'm sure some would say only the big 950 is fast).
If I was to do more technical stuff I would get a 250, for more open road stuff the 450 is better.

Hope that may help.

Jeff
Old 28-Dec-2006, 21:50
Big Twin

Mood: High as a kite!
I think the 450EXC needs loads of Servicing so if you're prepared to do all that (mainly oil/filters) then go for it.If you have never been off road maybe look at a 250.I've never heard anyone moan about the Suzuki DRZ400,bit worthy but easy to ride and less servicing.
Old 28-Dec-2006, 23:30
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Drop a PM to BDG-he's your man for enduro and KTM's

John

Growing old-disgracefully!
Old 29-Dec-2006, 01:49
Big Twin

CRF 250X, WR 250? or DR 350...all the bikes you need and range from £3750-1000...depending on your budget.
Old 29-Dec-2006, 11:09
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
If you're thinking about enduros, sign up with the gym and get down there every day...They are without doubt the most exhausting thing I've ever tried.

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 29-Dec-2006, 15:34
500SD

Mood: Out with the grey....in with the satin black
I've got a KTM200exc & been entering some enduros this year. I've not done any trail riding though.

The choice of bike is a tough one as there are so many variables that you need to take into consideration, ie. budget, main use (trails with some road work or enduro racing), previous offroad experience, your maintenance skills, level of fitness (lighter bikes are less demanding), how much fun do you want to have (2-stroke = max fun!), etc, etc....the list goes on....

My view on choice of bike:
DR's are good trail bikes, but ain't gonna cut it in any enduro race (too soft & heavy).....WR's (Yam) are good, but a bit dated & lean slightly more towards trails (apart from latest '07 models), CRF***X's (Hon) are very good, but KTM's are the real racers. Spec of KTM's is higher than the jap machines. Go to a local enduro & you'll see most bikes are orange! If you decide on KTM, you'll have the choice of 2-stroke or 4-stroke as well. 450exc could be a bit of a handful (in race conditions) if you've not ridden offroad before & is heavier than the 2-smoke models, but is probably a better choice if you intend to ride it on the road for any distance (between trails).

To race you just need to get yourself kitted out (motocross gear for racing as you'll get too hot in enduro kit), buy an annual race licence (£40), join a club (£25), then send off an entry form for each meeting (£30-40). You'll also need to prep the bike & get a few spare parts (very cheap), etc. PM me if you need any help or advice.

Jools is spot on.....cycle lots & get down the gym....3-4 hr races are the norm so you will get fitter. Be prepared to have trouble moving for a few days after each race! At 35, I don't heal or bounce as well as I used to when I raced motocross as a kid.

I'd also add, make sure you've got the time to ride & maintain it. It takes quite a while to clean, re-lube, change oil, etc after each ride/race. Since I started racing, I've rarely been able to find the time to ride my 749s. I've got a 4wk old son (+ 4yr old daughter) & am seriously considering selling the KTM + 749s to buy a 749r as I know i'm going to find it harder to get the time to ride both in '07 & I miss riding on the road.

Where abouts in the country are you booley?
Old 01-Jan-2007, 18:46

hi guys and thanks for the advice...

i test rode the KTM exc 450 & 250 a few days ago. was impressed with the 450 but being new to the game i just thought the 450 maybe a little to much. so i am thinking towards the 250 a little lighter and possibly a bit easier to ride. only time will tell, but if anyone sees anythin out there for sale, let me no~!

wylie1 i pm ya pal!