Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-May-2009, 15:47
Bevel Head

Bikes in a van

Dear All

Looking to get 3 sports bikes in a long-wheel-base transit next Tuesday for a track day at Silverstone. Any experience/ ideas/ tips?

We've not loaded bikes into a van before so should be interesting.

Anyone else going to Silverstone GP with Focused Events Tuesday 12th May, next week? We'll be the ones with the bikes falling off the back of the lorry...

Regards

Mark.
Old 07-May-2009, 16:36
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
When I've done this I've put two in forwards and one backwards.

like this

---->
<----
---->

With mirrors off the handle bars are often the widest bit of the bike and three in all facing forwards sometimes just isn't possible even if you stagger the line line up so they aren't bar to bar as it were.

Ray.
Old 07-May-2009, 18:18
Bevel Head

Good idea. On their stands (they'll all road bikes) or paddock stands?
Old 07-May-2009, 21:24
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
I prefer to use a rear paddock stand only on my 998 but I can fasten the bike securely on the stand very easily.

Just give yourself plenty of time to load up and make sure the bikes are secure. I tend to use the frame of the bike to fasten it down both front and rear, plenty of cloths etc to avoid any rub damage

You need to be sure that the bikes are secure if you have to brake hard or heaven forbid run into something, they are unlikely to break free under acceleration in a Transit unless it's one the specials with an F1 or cosworth engine

Enjoy yer day.

Ray.
Old 07-May-2009, 21:51
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
I used a couple of old camping matresses to line the inside of the van.That way the bike has something soft to lean against.Got them for pennies from the local Sally Army or Sue Ryder shop.Use ratchet straps and load the supension if possible,...a couple of straps to stop the bike toppling over,....and it wont go anywhere.
Old 08-May-2009, 00:35
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
I zip tie the front brake and push the bikes front wheel up agaist some thing
static.
Old 08-May-2009, 12:11
500SD
Bikes: 848 EVO & Multi 1000ds

Mood: When's the sun coming out
I use a bike grab (http://www.bikegrab.com/) bolted to the floor of my van and some ratched straps attached to the frame to stop the back end bouncing around. It's not going anywere. This is ok if you get regular use of a van

As mentioned in earlier posts make sure you compress the suspension to stop the bike bouncing around, put a cable tie round the front brake, use the frame as a anchor point for any ropes or ratched straps but not the wheels as they will move and the ties will work loose and cause the bikes to move. Good luck with getting all the bikes in. The 2 one way and 1 the other is the best way.
Old 08-May-2009, 13:20
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
I wouldn't trust a bike stand, side or centre ones. Even a paddock stand is dodgy unless you have the front of the bike forced up against the front of the van.

I use the Keefy method. Get an old cushion, pillow etc and lean the bike against the van and tie it to the side, two straps per bike is enough one on the centre around the peg or something and the other on the handlebar and pulled to the front of the van, again jamming the front wheel up to the front wall of the van, cable tie around the front brake and put it in gear. Won't budge. Just be careful of how steady your fairing bracket is. Remove your mirrors if you have them. An old mattress has the added benefit of allowing you a comfortable sleep in the van, or even a cat nap at lunch time.

You might be surprised at how much bikes and kit can move on a journey. I have seen bikes damaged by kit not secured and bikes falling over/moving and getting damaged. A 1098 RS arrived in Portimao completed covered in bubble wrap! Think I'd have done the same mind you it looked beautiful.

Thing is though, especially if it's your road bike or a nice paint job, not paying attention when securing could cost you a tiny little scratch which will be very annoying. I used to cover my bike with an old blanket (again use it to sleep with).

The third bike may go in backwards between the two on the walls of the van. Place soft items, kit bags, leathers or tyres between the bikes and strap to both sides of the van. If it's a long wheel base, you will be able to get the third bike behind one of the others, but watch out for the vans wheel arch scratching your belly pan.

Nowadays, I ride my CB500 up the ramp and dump it in the corner - difficult to know how it could be more scratched

WeeJohnyB
Old 08-May-2009, 16:09
Bevel Head

Dear All

Thanks for your comments. I feel a bit more confident now, even if my two mates seem a bit dubious...

Photos to follow next week for examples of how/ how not to do it!

Regards

Mark.
Old 10-May-2009, 10:59
Bevel Head

Three road bikes will not fit so having to go for a Luton! A bit overkill but it's all I can get at short notice.

May try and get a Sprinter next time.