Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 21-Dec-2009, 18:33
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
How are you doing in the snow?

Worst I've seen for a long while. Took me 2.5 hours to get to and from work as the trains were so bad on top of the 50% service due to a strike, but I had to get into the office otherwise, I would have stayed at home. Thursday night I spent 5 hours until 2.00am on the hill I live on helping people. We had 6 inches of snow on top of ice. After hours of pushing cars, I took the executive decision to close the road, a main road through the town. I found some cones and closed the bottom then ran up to the top of the hill and put some full bin bags over the road. We had about 20 cars and buses and vans abandoned in various random places on the road, it was completely blocked and even 4x4's were slipping 10 metres before bashing into the kerb. We then helped as many as possible get off the road, but most just had to leave their cars and walk. Amazing the amount of people who tried to move the cones and wouldn't listen or even look at the mess they could see in front of them but insisted they could make it - they didn't, unlucky. Got some real abuse from people. No gritting on a major road and a steep hill at that, don't know what the council plan was but it didn't work. Snow hasn't gone and more over the weekend. More again today on top of the poor conditions and it's like an ice rink again. I moved my car off the hill as it was only luck that it was not hit by the sliding cars. I put it in the local car park that had 6 inches of snow and is on a hill. It took me 20 minutes to get 20metres as it's an auto with fat tyres and even although it's got 4WD, if I put it in drive and still with my foot on the brake, just the power of the engine ticking over made it go forward with my foot still on the brake, so I had the mad situation of taking my foot off the brake to lurch forward in order to get control not knowing if it will stop. Plus, with the wheels on full lock to the right, it went straight on, crazy situation trying to get into a parking space. M25 is solid, so my town is near static. There is just one track of tyre lines but when the traffic dies down, the snow will land and make my road unpassable again. There will be a lot of people stuck in their cars tonight. You know that advice you hear but never take notice of cause it won't ever happen to you? Take it! Don't drive and if you do, take a shovel, a bag of grit, a flask of something hot, food, warm clothes, waterproofs, boots/wellies, a blanket, phone charger for the car etc etc.

Looks much worth up north.

WeeJohnyB
Old 21-Dec-2009, 19:01
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Falling quite heavily for the last couple of hours in South Oxfordshire. We were scheduled to have our cooling tower at work cleaned today but it didn't happen as they didn't turn up, trouble is we have to turn everything off before they arrive, now we can't get things back on as the water temp is to low. All this is costing us thousands in lost income and on top of that I ended up leaving work 90 minutes later than I should which put me on the tail end of all the traffic and very slow moving traffic at that. Stuck behind somebody in a Clio that wouldn't go above 15mph and they left a nice safe gap of about 200 to 300 yards (yes yards) to the car in front. Took me 35 minutes to cover the 3.5 miles from works main gate to the A34 and then they went a different direction so the remaining 14 miles home took me 20 minutes.
Mre fun and games in the morning no doubt just getting to work, then the real fun and games will start

Still its the first time in the last 5 years I haven't arranged the cleaning of the cooling tower, now they know why I avoid the winter months

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 21-Dec-2009, 19:55
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/sh...t=81280&page=2

Chris
Old 21-Dec-2009, 20:55
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Not so grim in this part of the North. Some areas a few miles away have had a lot more.

Nowt much around here, about an inch. Not bad enough to pull the ABS fuse anyway, but enough to have a play on where it's frozen.

The tyres fitted to 99% of vehicles on UK roads just don't work on snow & ice, even on the chelsea tractors, hence the whole job grinds to a halt.

Don't fancy the trackday on snow at the Nurburging then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV9SAYvGJsw

About 1 min 40 in, the funs begins.............even in a beetle coupe

In the sticks up here it's DIY gritting on the hills, the council just leave a few little heaps at the roadside so you can sort yourself out if need be.

Ray.
Old 21-Dec-2009, 21:34
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
snowed in the office for the second time this year! This time, I decided to wait and see if teh traffic improved - it didnt! So got the train back to Fareham from Basingstoke and left the car, as did loads of others

last had a text at 19.15 from a collegue who left the office at 14.45 and was less than half a mile up the road on the one way out of the estate! Oh dear...
Old 21-Dec-2009, 21:58
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse SE, Evoluzione 2 ....

Mood: Dementor hunted by Foggy :)
Alton area in total chaos.....Hampshire County Council obviously thought it would be a good idea to let the snow fill all the potholes that they left from the Summer Not been able to get out of my drive since the snow on Friday, no gritters....nothing... plain incompetence t*****s

Hants - Meet Popham Airfield every 2nd Sunday of the Month @ 1pm

Ducati Snells of Alton : >>
848 Corse SE Evoluzione 2 : >>
Dementor Site :>>
Sponsor of DD Riders

Last edited by Dementor : 21-Dec-2009 at 22:02.
Old 21-Dec-2009, 22:03
Mille
Bikes: 999 bip zx6r DD

Quite bad around the New Forrest
Fancy a lap of the IOM tt course ?http://www.gov.im/tourism/webcam/webcam.aspx?webcam=6
Snowmobile over the mountain perhaps?
Old 21-Dec-2009, 22:15
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
I was expecting it to be a nightmare, given the reports of the M25, M4, etc being gridlocked.
It was snowing as I headed up the A3M from Portsmouth, but not really settling. Some of the back roads are bit on the entertaining side even in a range rover, but they were all passable.

I'm looking for an excuse not to go to work tomorrow, but its not snowed here yet. Just my luck
Old 22-Dec-2009, 12:11
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
"I'm dreaming of a white Christmas..."
Old 22-Dec-2009, 12:45
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Where the heck do all you lot live? Not even a flutter of snow down here in portsmouth... bright sunshine, bone dry roads, just a bit chilly. Might get the r6 out this afty.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit