Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Dec-2006, 16:25

I'm new here, what can I get you

I acquired my first ever road going Ducati at the weekend, an ST2, and there is a tab running so help yourself to a drink and I'll waffle on a bit while you're refreshing your throat.
Many, many years ago I had a racing Ducati, a MachI but the bike and I came to the early conclusion that racing wasn't for me so roll forward many years to this summer when I toured France a couple of times on my Hornet.
It got around but was lacking in the luggage handling ability stakes and the tank range is quite dire as well. I also had a TRX but found the seating position a little uncomfortable there and it also needs it's own luggage container for all the oil it uses (not a problem as they all do that Sir).
I was given various suggestions for next years touring bike and here we are, the TRX has gone and the Hornet will stay as a day to day bike.
I been given a fair bit of advice already and I've got a manual on order from Baines Racing who are only up the road from me. I have got a CD but I'm old fashioned enough to like a paper copy.
I'm trying to get hold of Brancato Engineering to stop the sidestand self retracting so we're getting there.
A few outstanding questions please -
Is it possible to just take off just the fairing lowers as I'd like to give the bike a good clean ?
I'd like a Baglux tank cover if anyone knows where I could source one of those please ?
Finally, for now, what do people use to jack up the front to take the front wheel out ? I suspect a standard paddock stand will lift the front too high as there's only a small gap between the rear wheel and the ground when it's on the centre stand.
Thank you and have another drink as you probably deserve it having got this far.
Old 12-Dec-2006, 16:28
Ducati Corse

'ello - and welcome

you didnt by any chance purchase your bike from Fred did you?

Mines a large hot chocky please
Old 12-Dec-2006, 16:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK
'ello - and welcome

you didnt by any chance purchase your bike from Fred did you? ......
Thank you and yes, it was I.
Well someone had to.
Old 12-Dec-2006, 16:36
Ducati Corse

Its prob best off with you enjoy

so, you had a look round here then? - will spot some familiar 'handles'
Old 12-Dec-2006, 16:36
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Welcome, nice of you to offer a drink. I'll have a bottle of meths and a brown paper bag to hide it please.

Baglux stuff is good, most dealers should be able to get it or try baglux direct on 01745 823333.

If there isn't much clearance between the back wheekl and the ground i suspect the ride height has been increased, same on my old ST4s.

Ducati performance do a front paddock stand with small lugs that fitted into the small holes on the bottom of the forks. It still worked on my bike even with the increased ride height.
Old 12-Dec-2006, 16:49
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Welcome Hustler. I've got an ST2 as well and I love it, it's a very under rated bike.

In answers to some of your questions.

I have no idea where to source a baglux tank bag thingy, because I've never felt the need for a tank bag.

It depends what you mean by 'fairing lowers'. If you litteraly mean just the lowest bits of the fairing, yes, you can. Just undo the 4 allen bolts along each side and the two underneath the fairing by the V piece and the lower panels will flex out. The only things you might have to look out for are wellnuts that have split or corroded - you might need some replacements on hand.

If by 'lowers' you mean anything below the top fairing (ie the mid panels) then you are out of luck. Everything has to come off, and by everything I mean the mirrors, the 'dash' panels, the top fairing, the little airdam fairing under the light until finally you can get to all the bolts for the middle panels. They are - I'm afraid the work of the devil and it'll take you about an hour to take them off the first time you do it. If you take all the fairings off it's a good idea to get busy cleaning all the electrical connectors and relays you can find - because you won't want to be taking the fairings off regularly.

If you're feeling flash, do a search on 'Rushjob' user name - he's posted up a method of converting the fairings to Dzus fasteners and making it a few minutes to get them off.

I use a paddock stand to get my front wheel out, even though the rear wheel clearance is just like yours. If you are worried about it, you can find a bit of scaffold plank to put the centre stand on.

Enjoy the bike

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 12-Dec-2006, 17:01

Thanks for all the replies people.
I like a tank bag for map reading and keeping little bits and bobs ready and easy to hand, like change for tolls for example. But each to their own and all that.
I feared the fairing would be like that as I have been trawling this site and it did look as if I would have to take the lot off. Never mind, as the bike won't be doing very much in the next month or two.
I shall follow up the paddock stand ideas.
Thanks again, appreciated.
Old 12-Dec-2006, 17:04
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Having some tinnies and a barbie
Hello Hustler, good to see another Ducati owner into the fold.

Mines a large bottle of cough medicine(still in paper bag from chemists)
Old 12-Dec-2006, 19:05
Ducati Corse

oh, forgot to say to you Hustler - you might want to get in touch with Fordie - as he is your local regional organiser, and the BHCN seem to enjoy some good rides etc
Old 12-Dec-2006, 19:08
Big Twin

Back in the day I'd put the bike on the centrestand, lean it over, kick a piece of 3/4 plywood under the nearside tang, go round the other side, lean it the other way, and kick another piece of plywood under the offside tang. Job's a good 'un. Or position the bike so the front wheel overhangs a nice deep kerb!

As far as fairing removal goes, the good news is that it's not *that* long since the plastic was all off it, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

A tank bag doesn't have to be a Baglux jobbie, though, does it? Did I show you my superb Aldi tank-bag; 17 quid? Best tank bag I ever owned. Really.

Unless used used to those cheap Japanese bikes with plastic tanks.

Like I said, if you want some indicator lenses, just give me a shout.