Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Jun-2003, 21:02
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Belts and Rockers

Just out of interest I thought I might mention the fact that I had my belts changed today after 10,000 miles,this is the second time that I have changed them, the first time was before heading of to Spain after covering about 7,000 I guess that was more precaution than neccesaty.I was suprised at the condition of them after 10,000 looking like new with no markings or fraying thankfully. I no that Ducati recomend 12000 miles in between changes and I would not want to venture passed that figure but I all so hear some members change a lot earlier than this,again more on the side of precation. I also had them take a peak at the valve/rocker clearances and they report no adjustment required.Seems that if you are pron to taking it up to the redline /limiter you are more likely to need adjustment ,I normally go up to 8000 max on mine as it drops BHP after that (Thats what the Dyno said)I hav'nt seen many threads on this one so hope it help/reasure those that are thinking about it . Regards Fordie
Old 12-Jun-2003, 09:03
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Cheers Fordie!

That's reassuring.

I've done 8k on mine now and I guess I'll get the 12k service in this winter. I was wondering about getting it done before then to make sure the belts were OK, but as it'll still be under warranty I'll leave it. I did have one valve re-shimmed at the 6k service though!

Old 12-Jun-2003, 21:39

As the belts ahave dropped in price theres reallyno excuse for doing them, every 2 years for me, which is about 10K miles.

I usually advise about every 10K. you gotta take em off to do the shims anyway (or atleast its a lot easier) so you can give em a good inspection then.

All the modern bikes i think SS onwards use steel pulleys and these are lot more wear ressistant than the alloy ones, so there really little to worry about.

Kev
Old 10-Jul-2003, 14:17
Montjuic

Mood: Tinckering and Grazing Knuckle
Did you do the valve shims yourself? or is this best leave to an expert with more experience than the ability to comprehend the Ducati Service Manual?

Was gonna drop mine into Dave Woods in Alesbury? Heard nothing but high recommendations of his company.
Old 15-Jul-2003, 21:01

Yes i do my own. Yes it best left to someone whos knows what their doing but how do you get expereince if you never try???