Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-May-2006, 23:37
500SD

Brake levers

OK, here's the thing. There are two things I do with my right hand. One is brake and the other twist the throttle. (OK, there are other things I do with my right hand but we are talking about riding )

I've always found the feel of the brake lever nice but verging on the soft side. This, by itself, isn't a problem.

With the throttle, I had the single cable mod done to reduce the travel so I can get full throttle with out taking a second handful. The flip side is that the action is a lot stiffer. Again, by itself this isn't a problem.

My trouble is that the combination of these two things makes doing blip downchanges whilst braking impossible to achieve smoothly. The brake is too sensitive, even with two fingers, to achieve a blip without upsetting the braking.

I do blip downchanges all the time on the Multi and I miss not being able to do it on the 999. Something has to give. I don't think I can reduce the stiffness of the throttle control (I've already tried grease on the cable and reducing the spring tension on the throttle bodies could lead to the thing getting stuck open). I figure the answer is to make the brake lever stiffer and thereby less sensitive.

So, this long winded explanation is to get to this: Can you get different levers to fit the standard radial MC that changes the leverage?

I've looked at CRG levers, but they seem to adjust for throw not leverage. I know you can get Brembo billet racing MCs levers with differing leverage but how about the standard stuff?

Any thoughts?
Old 06-May-2006, 06:12
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Hmm,yeah those brakes are a bit fierce,are'nt they?
I'm using the standard throttle and dont find blipping much of a problem.
I think the only way you will get an adjustable ratio lever will be to change the master cylinder.
Old 09-May-2006, 11:55
Mille

sounds like a one of to me, I'd thought that any replacement whould make it more sensitive not less, you could try one finger braking
no help at all but hi any way
Old 09-May-2006, 18:17

Evolutione make a great flat GP type lever that fits the OEM radial pump on the 749/999.
Old 09-May-2006, 18:27
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
The short answer to your long winded question is no. You could fit a slipper clutch and not worry about blipping on down changes. Or, keep practising!
Old 10-May-2006, 00:29
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by FelixYou could fit a slipper clutch and not worry about blipping on down changes.
But I like doing it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix Or, keep practising!

Actually, I am getting somewhere with that. I've found that keeping a vice-like grip on the throttle with the three fingers whilst maintaining a feather touch on the brake with the other two makes it possible. It's a bit alien at the moment but I'll work on it.

I guess it's the trouble with riding another bike daily. You get so used to that one.