Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Nov-2006, 19:56
Mille

Mood: In danger of scaring myself
1098 UK prices

Published today on Moto Rapido's website. Imagine it will be similar at other authorised Ducati dealers. Pity we can't enjoy the "negotiated" lower rate that the American dealers managed to get for their customers from Ducati...still they are as follows:

Base model: £11,250.00
"S" model: £13995.00
Tricolore model: £15995.00

Compared to the base model:

In essence, £2745 more gets you the DDA, Ohlins front and rear and a carbon front mudguard on the "S"

£4745 more gets you the DDA, Ohlins front and rear, carbon front mudguard, the "different paint scheme", and the Termi system

I cannot stretch to the Tricolore at the moment, but then again I am not a lover of the paint job on it anyway, so I am going for the "S" instead and will probably end up spending the difference on the Termis anyway. That's a nonsense in financial reasoning on my part but at least I can spread the cost over a longer period which is less painful than shelling out £16K in one go! (Oh how I miss the grey import days and my beloved 748SPS)
Old 18-Nov-2006, 20:42
WSB Hero

Mood: No point in working long hours to die early
Still bleeding expensive, if they want to poach people from the rising sun.
Nice bike tho.
Old 18-Nov-2006, 21:04
DSC Club Member
Ducati Corse

Mood: I feel the need, the need for speed.
What makes them so expensive ?

Is it just the " Ducati " badge on the tank ?

Still want one

748R - Less is more !
Old 18-Nov-2006, 23:40
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
an R1 with brembos, marchsinis (sp) and ohlins cost £14k, so seems fair
Old 18-Nov-2006, 23:50
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 749er
an R1 with brembos, marchsinis (sp) and ohlins cost £14k, so seems fair

NOt a good comparison DEKKA ! LOL

R1 starts, runs and takes you all over the place without the "worry" of it not starting !!

PMSL

mav
Old 19-Nov-2006, 05:22
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Ahhh...well. That's still me lost to them as a returning customer. The days of me spending £14k on a Ducati and then having to suffer savage depreciation are over. I am neither stupid or willing any longer. Their loss.
Old 19-Nov-2006, 17:58
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmav
NOt a good comparison DEKKA ! LOL

R1 starts, runs and takes you all over the place without the "worry" of it not starting !!

PMSL

mav

yoy are right it is not a fair comparison, the R1 is dull, ugly, boring, lacks character and does not win s many superbike races as a Ducati
Old 19-Nov-2006, 14:50
Ducati Dealer
Mille
Bikes: 1098R Track Bike

Mood: Dealer of the Year 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz 748
What makes them so expensive ?

Is it just the " Ducati " badge on the tank ?

Still want one

I hear this question all the time - there are a few reason but the for the main part: -

Firstly, Ducati are not the same size as any of the competitors that are most mentioned here, they are a "niche" market.
People think they are of similar size because of the strength of the brand and the success in racing but the truth is very much otherwise.

I mean how could you compare Ducati to say Honda or Yamaha?

Honda build tractors, generators, cars, motorbikes and much, much, much, much more.

Yamaha are similar in that they have their finger in many pies such as musical instruments and so on.

Kawasaki have significant roots in heavy engineering and as an example are experts in aircraft undercarriges.

Suzuki fall into the same category, cars etc.

BMW have a hugely successful car industry behind them.

To put it in perspective, Ducati build in the region of 30- 40,000 bikes a year - that's it!!

That is roughly just 2 - 3 DAYS of production for Honda on a global scale!!! - just allow that to sink in!!!!
There is also circa only 1,000 employees, my other half works in an office bigger than that!!!

The more you sell the cheaper it becomes to make them and prices can drop!

When Ducati are pleased about beating companies of that sheer magnitude in racing, it's because a tiny company (in comparison) such as theirs should never have a hope in hell of doing so, the resources they have are so much less for research and development - it's just their designers and engineers are superb and the design concept is totally different and arguably a better package.

Secondly, it is more expensive to actually build a twin, two water jackets, two seperate cylinders and so on (this is one reason why Aprilia and Honda twins are also more expensive generally)

LastlyThe brand name and image, not every brand can hold up to the success Ducati can!! Especially considering their comparitive size. They really are the underdog!!

Roll that lot together with the costs of racing, investing in new manufacturing techniques and the import taxes our government slap on etc, etc and the price of the bikes comes out the way it is!!

Mart

Last edited by Martin Ducati Glasgow : 19-Nov-2006 at 14:54.
Old 19-Nov-2006, 14:55
Mille

Mood: In danger of scaring myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Ducati Glasgow
I hear this question all the time - there are a few reason but the for the main part: -

Firstly, Ducati are not the same size as any of the competitors that are most mentioned here, they are a "niche" market.
People think they are of similar size because of the strength of the brand and the success in racing but the truth is very much otherwise.

I mean how could you compare Ducati to say Honda or Yamaha?

Honda build tractors, generators, cars, motorbikes and much, much, much, much more.

Yamaha are similar in that they have their finger in many pies such as musical instruments and so on.

Kawasaki have significant roots in heavy engineering and as an example are experts in aircraft undercarriges.

Suzuki fall into the same category, cars etc.

BMW have a hugely successful car industry behind them.

To put it in perspective, Ducati build in the region of 30- 40,000 bikes a year - that's it!!

That is roughly just 2 - 3 DAYS of production for Honda on a global scale!!! - just allow that to sink in!!!!

The more you sell the cheaper it becomes to make them and prices can drop!

When Ducati are pleased about beating companies of that sheer magnitude in racing, it's because a tiny company (in comparison) such as theirs should never have a hope in hell of doing so, the resources they have are so much less for research and development - it's just their designers and engineers are superb and the design concept is totally different and arguably a better package.

Secondly, it is more expensive to actually build a twin, two water jackets, two seperate cylinders and so on (this is one reason why Aprilia and Honda twins are also more expensive generally)

LastlyThe brand name and image, not every brand can hold up to the success Ducati can!! Especially considering their comparitive size. They really are the underdog!!

Roll that lot together with the costs of racing, investing in new manufacturing techniques and the import taxes our government slap on etc, etc and the price of the bikes comes out the way it is!!

Mart

Well put Mart. Despite this however the Americam market has cut it's prices significantly this year compared to what they were paying for the 999 range last year, which makes me think there is still room for Ducati UK to do the same were it possible (even a small amount as a gesture) but then pigs might fly.
Old 19-Nov-2006, 15:03
Ducati Dealer
Mille
Bikes: 1098R Track Bike

Mood: Dealer of the Year 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod
Well put Mart. Despite this however the Americam market has cut it's prices significantly this year compared to what they were paying for the 999 range last year, which makes me think there is still room for Ducati UK to do the same were it possible (even a small amount as a gesture) but then pigs might fly.

I also hoped for a "gesture" reduction but can only guess why there wasn't, so in my position I better reserve judgement.

For a guess though - keeping prices the same as the 999 goes as far as it can to protect future 2nd hand 999 values.