Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-Oct-2009, 10:05
Montjuic

have you looked on the duccutters site?
There's at least one superbike running a 2V engine
http://www.duccutters.com/Hull-944Corsa.tpl - may be more as well, I haven't looked for a while.
Having had an MTS1000 and an ST2 I wouldn't say either engine is ideal - both a bit flat for track use, but you could definitely ride the wheels off them which seems to be the goal.

I think you'll have inlet clearance issues with the either engine - I'm thinking of going the other way (916 engine into my MTS) and putting them side by side the frames are quite different around the inlets, and the 916 intakes seem to go through where the bracing is on the MTS frame.

If you're doing all this you could consider chopping out the bracing where it gets in the way and refabricating a 2V style brace, but don't position it so that it feeds loads into the middle of an unbraced tube.

Mark
Old 10-Oct-2009, 10:54
Big Twin

Where are you located? If local I could come about some day to check how the frame fits with your engine.

I appreciate that I could faff on getting the frame modified but I just don't want that carry on.

Rad have done something like that
http://www.radicalducati.com/index.php?page=99-evo

and it looks like an ST2 engine needs modification with a cross member in 749/999 style to fit the throttle bodies.

On the other hand I have a bit of a hope as the 998 or 996 Foggy frames I would be working from (got both) have the "kyalami" cross member so maybe it would work with them??
Old 10-Oct-2009, 17:45
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I've used the ST2 engine extensively, 'cos I've had one for 8 years. I've also ridden quite a few dual spark engines - including Sparky round Cadwell.

Now admitedly I didn't get to ride Sparky at it's best because the cam timing was off when I rode it and the engine was not making the power it should, but I have to say on balance I still prefer the ST engine because it revs to 10K before the limiter cuts in. As Monty says, the DS motors have there rev limiter set some 1400 revs earlier and I find I'm always banging up against it when I ride a DS. I suppose it's something you would get used to, but the extra revs are nice to have in hand when you need them - even if the engine is not making any extra power up there.

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 10-Oct-2009, 18:01
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Having some tinnies and a barbie
How about something along this line?

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/sh...ght=compressor
Old 12-Oct-2009, 09:32
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
I can see my downpipes
Phil have you any idea when you will no longer need to borrow them

About now

Happy to get them back to you shortly. Let me know if it's urgent.
Old 16-Oct-2009, 14:49
Montjuic

Quote:
Where are you located? If local I could come about some day to check how the frame fits with your engine.

If this is directed at me - then I'm in Bath. You're welcome to pop in and have a look and a measure up. You can mail me direct at ducatiparts.110mb@gmail.com if you want to fix something up.

Over the past couple of days I'm wondering about fitting the 916 engine and fabricating manifolds to use the 1000DS intakes & airbox. It may move the area of difficulty to somewhere a bit more achievable. Maybe you could do the opposite - 2V with 4V manifolds?

Mark.
Old 20-Oct-2009, 14:12
Big Twin
Bikes: 916SPS Ratbike + 749R Shed

Mood: Ugly girls (749) are more dirty.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by pguenet
I want something very light and very nimble which I can truly ride to the limit without the fear of being highsided into outer space.

Philippe...
I am in agreement with you on this following my Clearways highside...looking to do something similar but less pricey than your idea - married with kids sort of budget!!

Bon chance mec!

R
Old 25-Oct-2009, 23:54
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Mood: I like my bike
Talking

if you are looking for custom carbon bits to save weight as well then apparently going to the south coast to some of the larger yacht harbours where there are a number of producers of very high quality carbon pieces. They caqn copy or build from scratch...apparently.
Old 26-Oct-2009, 23:33
Big Twin

Married with kids here too... but have managed to collect enough tasty parts before that... need to pick up a shock, sterring damper and then it is the engine + TBs + loom - that will have to wait for next year's bonus...

Re the carbon, thanks for the tip... Though for that sort of work, I am looking at picking up the skill myself. Steep learning curve, I am realising and though working from the garage (which has no door to the house) I am stinking up the house with polyester & Epoxy resin fumes....
If I get good at it eventually, I am also thinking of doing the whole bodywork for the ST4 in Carbon ... and with a quick release DZus mechanism...
Old 17-Dec-2009, 18:26
GTL
Bikes: SS 1000ds

Mood: crashed
Check out this one too: http://teamhustler.net/the-motorcycles/.

If you can fit the ds engine in your frame without much hassle, I'd go for the 1100ds. As John said before, you can get 110bhp without going too crazy on the mods. It might feel boring thanks to the flat torque curve but that's only until you check the speed you are doing!

Also, in case you cannot fit an SS airbox in that frame, you could either try this http://www.tpoparts.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=119 or this http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=65731 (one of many reviews here: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=70752).

What about the fuel tank? Which one are you thinking to use?