Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Feb-2004, 10:40   #1
Big Twin

Tyre Warmers
Any of you guys have any recommendations of makes/types to look at? I've seen a couple (Diamond(Diasec.co.uk)) advertised in MCN and some Motrax ones for about the same price of £130.

I dont claim to be Rossi, so I don't want some GP standard gear...just something that will do the job.

Any makes to avoid!

Also if you've got any for sale (or front paddock stand)...see market section.

Cheers

[Edited on 4-2-2004 by Harv748]
Old 04-Feb-2004, 11:16   #2
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
sorry to hijack the thread; but do they make a real difference even allowing for the time you may wait in pit lane, even on road tyres such at sc's.
Old 04-Feb-2004, 11:35   #3
Big Twin

mmmh... I think the general concensus is yes.

For me its all about confindence. Think about the last TD you did, and how you gained confidence (better lines/corner speed etc) during the course of the session. Obviously a lot of that is due to getting used to the circuit etc, but a lot is also down to the bike reaching its 'working temp' as the session progresses. Everything from tyres/oil in the suspension/engine/rider reaches its optimum temperature...and the bike just seems better allround...less nervous...smoother...leading to better laps. Anything I can do to get to that stage, quicker, is worth it in my opinion!

This will only be my second year of trackdays (fast novice/slow inter)...and my main worry when lapping is losing the front or rear! Personally speaking, knowing the tyres have at least 'some' heat in them prior to going out will make a HUGE difference to my confidence.

As for sitting in the pit lane...from what I've seen, most guys who have warmers seem to leave them on for as long as possible, and then join the back of the que. Obviously if you are sat there for a while (due to an accident or summut) then yeah...your going to lose some of the benifits...but I think for the money (£130)...they are well worth the investment if you do more than 2 or 3 TD's a year.
Old 04-Feb-2004, 11:41   #4
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Harv, yes, use a set myself. They work a treat. I use them on my slicks and also on my "intermediates" (Dunlop RR's). I used them for the first time on the Dunlops in the afternoon at last year's DSC trackday at Mallory, when the downpour had stopped and it was slightly damp. It was absolutely superb! Didn't have any "moments" and surprised WJB around the outside at Gerrards. I am planning on using the same "intermediates" during this year's race season.

Definitely recommended, wouldn't do another TD or race without them.

[Edited on 4-2-2004 by Felix]
Old 04-Feb-2004, 11:46   #5
BSB Star

harv,

cheers for that, yup, all makes sense.

i guess if you are up to speed even 1 lap quicker then that is 7 laps per trackday so one whole session.

7 trackdays and more than paid for them selves. go on then discount for 2 sets???
Old 04-Feb-2004, 11:59   #6
Big Twin

funny you say that dickie...thats now three people I know off who are interested (if your serious?) in some for this coming year. If anyone else is interested...it could be worth contacting some suppliers for some form of discount/deal?

Anyone else?
Old 04-Feb-2004, 12:04   #7
BSB Star

definitely up for some, the sooner the better. will need them by mid march.
Old 04-Feb-2004, 12:36   #8
Dibble

MW was looking for warmers at the Ally Pally so he may be interested in yer doing a deal somewhere .. i'll email him and get him to check this thread out ...
Old 04-Feb-2004, 13:16   #9
Mille

Harv,

I am in the market for a set too, planning to look at Ally Pally this weekend.

Like you I have done a little research and would be pleased to hear from anyone with particular recommendations.

Can they be run from a power inverter connected to the car or is a generator necessary?

I looked at the Diamond equipment too. It appears that you can buy replacement parts for these which seems to make better long term sense.

Definately count me in with the group purchase.
Old 04-Feb-2004, 13:28   #10
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by uncledunnie

Can they be run from a power inverter connected to the car or is a generator necessary?

Definately count me in with the group purchase.

dont you just plug them into the sockets in the pit garages ?

im easy really. if we all decide which ones to go for then see the best deal we can get on them.

wich i'd thought about it beforew i went to ally pally last week. doh!