Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Oct-2012, 19:07
Bikes: 748S

Belts?

After a bit of advise please, I bought a 748s in march, it had done 9500k miles, it had had its belts done in October 2012 at about 8500k miles, they were also changed in 2008, but it never really did more than 2000miles between each change, now since march I've put 5k miles on the beauty, I've regularly serviced it, oil, filters etc, recently I put a new clutch in bled all the fluids, it is well looked after, my question is should I change the belts or wait till its done the 12000 miles the book says?

Your wisdom is welcomed.
Old 12-Oct-2012, 19:41
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by connor748
it had had its belts done in October 2012 at about 8500k miles, they were also changed in 2008,

Look like you just did them

Something that I go on is how long has the engine been sat unused without getting turned over so as to rotate the belts so they sit differently on the pulleys, idler and tensioner

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 12-Oct-2012, 19:42
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by connor748
After a bit of advise please, I bought a 748s in march, it had done 9500k miles, it had had its belts done in October 2012 at about 8500k miles, they were also changed in 2008, but it never really did more than 2000miles between each change, now since march I've put 5k miles on the beauty, I've regularly serviced it, oil, filters etc, recently I put a new clutch in bled all the fluids, it is well looked after, my question is should I change the belts or wait till its done the 12000 miles the book says?

Your wisdom is welcomed.

If you are going to lay it up over winter, I'd leave it as is for the last few weeks of use, then put a pair of belts on for 2013 Spring/summer. JMHO tho'. My 749 is well past its scheduled change already, I still use it occasionally as well.
Old 15-Oct-2012, 00:09
GTL

Cracking bike you’ve got yourself there mate, I’ve had mine for 10 years and I don’t think I could ever sell it…just fantastic. As Skids suggests I turn the engine over now and again through winter but other than that I have the belts changed every two years regardless or on the mileage(ish) if earlier. I’ve heard some folk change every year just in case but (looking for some wood to touch) I’ve never had any belt issues. Hope this helps.