Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 22-Dec-2005, 01:04
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
But when I did enter at the last Pembrey of the season it was linked and thats the rules I played to and the link was still there when I decided to prep a 750SS for next season which is why I asked the question on their website and suggested a update.

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix
This is certainly not an isolated case and it just struck a nerve.

I can understand that, but I'm not whinging

If you had been with NG for as long as I have (bearing in mind i was mechanicing for my mates before I started racing myself) you would have known they value riders input.

At one time halfway through the season they would hold a riders forum at one of the meetings, where issues and ideas could be voiced with the committee taking note of what the racers had to say especially if the experienced racers raised concerns.
Following one such forum they introduced a warm-up lap before the races, prior to this there was no warm-up lap. You formed up on the grid which was about 10 riders per row and 3 to 4 rows (Wide Airfield circuits). Then when the flag dropped the race started. What changed things was the introduction of the Dunlop D207GP, it was pointed out that unlike the Pirelli Dragons (previous top choice for the racers) the Dunlops need to get some heat in them. Now none of the circuits wwe ran at had power and 1.5kw Gennys and Tyre warmers were a rare sight. So after this was pointed out by the racers it was decided to introduce a warm-up lap and it has been like that ever since.
Also when Streetstocks were introduced at NG a few rules were modified after feedback from the racers with a lot of the riders input going thru me.

Now I don't expect rule changes to be made once the season is underway unless on safety grounds but I do expect organisers to consider sensible suggestions during the closed season especially when made nearer to the end of the previous season rather than close to the beging of the new season.
Old 22-Dec-2005, 03:01
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Edwards
The reason we didn't allow the replacement of the ECU was that after discussion with a number of people, including Ducati experts such as Geoff Baines, the feeling was that it would make policing the series very difficult.

Most ECU replacements, including just changing the EPROM on some of the earlier bikes, allow the ignition advance to be altered. At least if we restrict everyone to standard ECUs then we can keep track of what people are doing and create a fair series for more people.

The rules for the series continue to evolve and had we had such feedback at some point during the last year when we changed the rules to specifically allow larger air cooled motors, done with Ducati in mind, we could have had more time to investigate the pros and cons of such a suggestion.

Surely the majority of riders have no trouble keeping their red keys to hand so don't have any problems with using the stock ECU. I appreciate that Nigel is a special case but in most circumstances I don't see it as being a problem.

It's not just about keeping the red keys to hand though, it's about not being able to remove the standard clocks to run another dash if you like. And if you didn't - it's about the cost of replacing the entire suite of key, clocks and ecu which is dramatically more expensive than adding the FIM ECU for example.

I know we both know that Nigel is a perfect case in point here - I'm not suggesting you make a rule specifically for him. I came across the same rule which prevented me from buying a crash damaged bike I could have bought cheaply to enter minitwins. Maybe you'll see this as a valid reason or not but ... if that rule had of allowed replacement ECU's I would have bought an 800SS a few months or so ago and would have been prepping a bike for minitwins right now. I know I'm not reason enough to change rules but I am a definite example of someone who is racing in a different class to minitwins because of this one rule.

I'm not whinging, I'm making a valid point.

Sorry Felix if you feel that it's me who is whinging a bit here ...

TP
Old 22-Dec-2005, 05:31
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Tony understands the issue I have with the 800ss perfectly well but, Mike still doesn't seem to understand it. I'm not really a special case nor am I asking to be made one. As it happens I have two 800ss Dukes. One with a red key and all the instruments (it is new) and one without (a cat C recovered bike). However, I will not use the new bike because I cannot afford to risk trashing the instrument panel on it. This problem would not exist if I could use the FIM ECU because it bypasses the ECU/immobiliser and instrument panel integration.

The problems I and any other Ducati rider face are this (even with the bike with the red key):

1. I cannot replace the instrument panel with something else (like a race tacho) because the bike won't run without the original coded panel.

2. If I break the instrument panel in a crash I cannot ride the bike until a new oem unit is fitted and then re-programmed at a cost of ~£600. This cost is significantly more than an FIM ECU.

Before anyone asks - it is not clear whether or not a used panel could be substituted either. I asked the question of Ducati and they weren't able to confirm one way or another. I've spoken to John Hackett at length on several occasions about this issue and he wasn't sure because at some point in 2003/2004 Ducati changed the way the the immobiliser worked. Earlier bikes did not depend upon the panel to be run but, later bikes do.

It's all academic really - for these two reasons alone I will not be racing an 800ss in Minitwins now. Lest I be accused of attempting blackmail - I want to make it clear that I made this decision purely on the basis of financial common sense.

[Edited on 22-12-2005 by twpd]

Old 22-Dec-2005, 05:39
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by twpd
Ooops! Someone didn't like having some pertinent questions being asked about the even-handedness and consistency of the minitwin regs. The thread has been removed from NG's website.

And that sort of attitude sums up exactly why the thread *was* removed!

Mike I thought we had agreed to disagree. So far I have kept my peace so, don't kick it off again.

Old 23-Dec-2005, 00:15
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ericthered40
Good on yu fella I been sitting here waiting for that response.

Rather than comments such as that maybe you have something useful to contribute?

No nothing, other than suggest you apologize to Kevin for your earlier personally insulting post.

Happy Christmas

Old 23-Dec-2005, 01:38

On what basis was it insulting?

[Edited on 23-12-2005 by Mike Edwards]
Old 23-Dec-2005, 02:29
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Quote:
On what basis was it insulting?

[Edited on 23-12-2005 by Mike Edwards]

I am not going to answer this as i saw your unedited post first and think it may influence my reply

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit