Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 31-May-2005, 18:30
500SD

Mood: PENSO POSITIVO....SEMPRE!!
DSC, I need some suggestions..

Dear board, and dear DSC fellow members.. for the one of you that don't know me personally.. I am Italian, moved to UK in 2004 and living in Ascot Berks for business reasons. Loved bikes since age 13, raced at different levels (dirt bikes) since and still nowdays.

let's get to the point. I need some practical suggestion as still a rookie for track days (only two done recently - Brands indy - and 850 miles on my 999) in UK.

two of my crazy Italian (of course bikers..) friends are going to visit me for a week or so.. they are going to drive their car up to London and they are going to bring with them a nice 2005 999 and a nicer 2005 MV F4 1000 already equipped with track fairings. Of course the reason of their vacation is to visit me (not) and do some UK track days. ..experiencing the best UK tracks.. We probably will do a nice reportage and send it to Superbike Italy. It will be for pleasure only, not racing training or other.
I am planning an intensive track days session which will affect seriousily my bike, my stamina..and my wallet... (and of course, I will keep my finger crossed all the time for the weather..)

27June Brands indy
28June Donigton GP
29June Cadwell full circuit
30June Mallory park

Of course, we will start with novice group (me at least).

here the questions:

1) is it a totally crazy plan?
2) From Donigton to Cadwell does anyone knows a place where we can sleep the night (withouth getting back to ascot) with, of course, a garage for the bikes??
3) Starting with brand new supercorsa on Monday 27..how long they will last?? will the tyres make the 4 days marathon?Consider that I am not that fast...
4) what should I perform as maintenance during the track days on the 999, starting the first day in mint conditions (oil, chain etc.) ?

Thanks guys (also for reading this long message..) , any suggestion is welcome.. I have only few spots available in some sessions so I have to book the dates quite soon..
Brogins
Old 31-May-2005, 18:42
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Crazy plan yes! although exciting also, there's 4 hard days of track days and driving from place to place, long days, long nights and early mornings to boot!

Brands to Donny is a good few hours, then from Donny to Cadwell that'll be a journey in itself, the shortest will be Cadwell to Mallory I would guess.

If it was me I'd try and either drop one and have a rest or try and find different track days closer together location wise just to give you some rest.

As for tyres Donny is really hard on tyres, dunno about the rest, I'd be tempted to take another rear anyways, worst case scenario they'll be a tyre guy at the track I guess.

As for maintenance well it's probably worth changing the oil before and after the 4 days, adjust your chain obviously as I am sure 4 days of abuse will take it's toll, I can't imagine there's much more to worry about as your bike is so new, pads etc will probably take a beating but should last 4 days, clutch plates should be OK also.

Can't help on the accomodation, sorry.

[Edited on 31-5-2005 by JPM]
Old 31-May-2005, 18:43
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
I have a suggestion. Make sure any suggestions for where to stay are U2U'd not posted on here. That little collection of bikes would be very tempting for anyone browsing the board looking for bikes to nick!

I can recommend a B & B at Cadwell but there's no garage. The bikes are parked out of sight, though. U2U me if you want the full address.

And have a good time. Take plenty of Ibuprofen and Red Bull. You'll need it

Old 31-May-2005, 18:59
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

How about adding...

25June Snetterton DSC trackday & Desmo Due race
26June Snetterton 8-hour endurance
27June Brands indy
28June Donington GP
29June Cadwell full circuit
30June Mallory park

How are you travelling between tracks? Bikes on trailers, or are you riding between tracks

I would think one set of tyres would just about do those 4 days.

Oh, and Donny to Cadwell is the shortest journey... You'll pass Donny on your way back to Mallory

Crazy idea, but I like it
Old 31-May-2005, 19:16
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Brogins do the donny on the 28th, I will be there and so will Yeti and with a bit of luck Lord Rattler.
Old 31-May-2005, 21:40
500SD

Mood: PENSO POSITIVO....SEMPRE!!
Hi Guys,
I was thinking about the DSC track day..of course..but I can't that weekend as they (my friends) arrives sometimes on Saturday. It will take roughly 17/18 hours drive with a trailer and 25 grands of bikes on it.
So Sunday they will rest - yeah right - in some bar in London I guess - last day for a drink -

Monday we start, and may be with just the Brands evening session..in order not to get too stressed.
Tuesday we drive early (with cars and trailers) to Donny. I have been there last July to watch MotoGp and it took me two hours and half (with no trailer).
At night Tuesday from Donny to Cadwell - How long will it take?
Rest in cadwell for the night and wednesday cadwell full circuit.
At night we may drop it here... and avoid Mallory.
I am not sure about the 4th day... The problem is that I can not find any track days available on Friday or Saturday.. because thursday rest will be a good idea.

saturday night they will leave (hopefully in one piece - both men and bikes) back to Italy.
Yes Jon, we will be at Donington on the 28th.
Thanks Guys
Old 31-May-2005, 21:54
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Donny to Cadwell is about 75 miles, but mostly single carriageway, so will take about an hour and a half.

I'll do a quick search and also ring a couple of DD racers, coz several spent the night in B&B's before our race at Cadwell.
Old 31-May-2005, 23:02
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Crazy CRAZY plan Brogins, you're going to be knackered!
But go for it!

Donny to Cadwell should be less than 2 hours, and I would recommend the same place to sleep as redruth is talking of. It's safe for the bikes and you get a great breakfast before you leave.

Tyres - I managed 4 track days last year, plus a bit of road riding, on the same set of tyres. They were getting a bit tired at the last one and probably should have been replaced. So like JPM says, be ready to replace the rear.

Have fun!
Old 31-May-2005, 23:27
888 at Last !!!

Have you thought about buying a tent and camping on site? You will need as much relaxation time as possible - drive to the circuit and pitch up. No need to worry about finding a place to stay or driving.

There will be plenty of places to stay near Donny & Brands but Cadwell in particular is in the middle of nowhere! I stayed in Lincoln (30 miles away) Marriott Hotel - nice location.

I hope you're fit
Old 31-May-2005, 23:28
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
takes me 40mins to get to donny and 2h-15mins to cadwell. So I guess to get to caddy from donny should take you 1hr -45mins.