Ducati Sporting Club UK
Ducati Insurance - Questions and Answers!
This section allows you to ask questions about insurance directly to Ducati Insurance and receive a reply!

Old 23-Aug-2005, 17:49
500SD

If you change insurers, does the protected no-claims still stand - or is it merely the way in which insurers hold on to their existing clients? Surely any new insurer will look at your claims record for themselves?

How would you answer the question they all ask: "Have you made any claims etc. in the last five years?"
Old 23-Aug-2005, 21:36
GTL

Quote:
Originally posted by weeveetwin
If you change insurers, does the protected no-claims still stand - or is it merely the way in which insurers hold on to their existing clients? Surely any new insurer will look at your claims record for themselves?

How would you answer the question they all ask: "Have you made any claims etc. in the last five years?"

Not all insurers offer the option of a protected NCB but, if they do, they will normally offer it against the "proof of claims entitlement" document an insurer is obliged to give you when your cover expires.

However, they are not obliged to cover you...if you have a protected no claims bonus, but have had five claims in the last three years, they could just refuse to cover you. Regarding what to say in the previous claims section, if you don't mention a claim, they can refuse to pay when the time comes...theoretically, all insurers now have access to a central database that holds claims made against all insurers country wide. While I doubt this is fully operational, its probably always wise to tell the whole truth in these things. Not much point in paying £50 a month for insurance then be told you're not covered when you write off your 23 stone, champion kick-boxer neighbours pride and joy
Old 24-Aug-2005, 19:21
500SD

Oh the joys of old age (40)

Protected no claims £ 224.00
Old 09-Sep-2005, 14:41
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
I had a 60% protected NCD then went and had a minor prang. When it came to renewal time my premium doubled, I phone the insurance company and enquired as to why I was paying so much with a protected NCB and was told that it was still protected but it was there policy to load the premium so as to re coup there losses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY....Explain someone!
Old 09-Sep-2005, 14:46
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
My new policy through Premium Choice came with an automatic protected NCB, and they still beat my previous insurer's renewal, so I just took it. As a rule though, I wouldn't normally bother...

Martin
Old 09-Sep-2005, 15:04
GTL

Quote:
Originally posted by rcgbob44
I had a 60% protected NCD then went and had a minor prang. When it came to renewal time my premium doubled, I phone the insurance company and enquired as to why I was paying so much with a protected NCB and was told that it was still protected but it was there policy to load the premium so as to re coup there losses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY....Explain someone!

Basically, the insurers see the No Claims Discount as a completely seperate entity to the premium itself...If you make a claim, the premium goes up - the NCD just decides what percentage of the premium you actually pay. Looking at a year in isolation, the protected option might look like a waste of money but, if you don't take it, there is a "triple whammy":

1/ Your base premium goes up
2/ Your discount goes down (compounding step 1)
3/ You have a reduced discount for more than one year (compounding steps1 & 2)

At the end of the day, your insurance company just wants you to pay them lots of money and not make any claims...seems reasonable enough