Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Sep-2003, 23:22
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
What goes wrong with high mileages?

I have done 16,500 miles on my ST4s to date and am very pleased with it. It needed new a clutch at 10,000 miles and discs were warped after 12,000 miles.

Apart from the obvious routine servicing what else do i need to watch for and how durable are the 996 engines long term?

Comments very much appreciated from those in the know.
Old 24-Sep-2003, 23:39
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Well mine has done nearly 20,000 now without any mechanical mishaps. The disk's warped and were done under warranty, it had a new ECU and Ohlins again warranty. Considering it has been to Italy twice 2 up, and once one up, and done Germany twice including the Nurburgring, been to LeMans for the GP, oh and done a couple of track days I reckon it's been dam good. The other thing to consider in all this is that according to JHP I am a hard rider.

John
Old 25-Sep-2003, 00:31
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
If the're the problems your having with a ST4 at those sort of mileages they are on a par with my 19,000 mile 916Bp, it hasn't done any european trips with me on it, but it did with its previous owner, it also stands up to the wheelies very well, although the oil light does come on when you get it into third. Regular belt, oil and filter changes appears to do the trick.
Old 29-Sep-2003, 20:55
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
ST4s High Milage

Absolutely nothing wrong in enjoying the bike (ST4s Yr2001 Yellow) to its full. Just get out there and have fun.
Done 14k so far. I live in Switzerland and enjoy the delights of the high twisty mountain passes (tough on brakes, engine braking, clutch, and gear box). I ride quickly as my swiss speeding fine proves (£1,800 - yes that's not a typo - and a 6 week ban to go with it). The bike has run wonderfully and with regular servicing (Italia bike Lincoln - yes I do ride a round trip of 1,500miles back to Blighty just to visit my favourite dealer).
I cannot share the same views as those expressed recently in "RIDE" magazines 2003 reader survey. I just wonder if those riders a) know how to ride a Duc and b) understand that on-time servicing by those who share our passion for Ducati is vital. I've had some funny unexplained incidences, but nothing that has dumped me at the side of the road. And don't run away with the idea that the bike has not been caught out in some appaling monsoons - it has (why is Belgium and Luxembourg always wet?). What has been been changed apart from the regular service items is new clutch plates at 12k as well as new chain and sprokets at the same time. Tyres (std Pilot Sports) are currently wearing at 4k for the rear and 6k for the front. New brake pads still not required and no sign so far of any disc warp - fingers crossed for the future. My only grumbles are the crap headlight and the chain tensioning (there must be a better, quicker and more precise way). I'll gladly share detailed experiences with anyone re the bikes performance, alpine biking routes, places to stay etc.
Old 01-Oct-2003, 12:49
Mille

Mood: Back on the bike
Ah, and I thought it was just me that wanted to know how ST4s's stood up to
being used . A lot. Mine has done 23,000 m. in 13 months, new ECU, two fuel gauge displays and front wheel bearing - all under warranty. Chain lasted 22,000
m. ( with Scottoiler ) but probably should have been changed a great deal earlier, as it was
knackered, and BT010's fr. & rr. last approx 4 & 6 k.
Looked into an extended warranty, but nothing doing , and the SMMT one is silly.
Pay £417 for £500 of cover. Bung it on a horse. Definitely pleased with commuting, w/end scratching, trips to France, etc. and occasional trackday. Improvements ? Chain tensioning - agreed, silly fairing attachment idea meaning you have to take all of it off for most things, bigger battery as nightmare on cold mornings as lives outside, and that's about it.
And no extened warranty available.
Question ? Would you buy another ? Yes, I certainly would at some point, but as the finance guy needs to be paid over the next 23 months, I will have an ST4S that will , or should have done approx 64 k. miles.
Cost of the sort of parts that give ie ECU at £700= is of concern, but I am told by the dealer that the waarnty of spares fitted runs from the date they are fitted not from the date of the start of the overall warranty.
Old 02-Oct-2003, 00:45
Duke of Edinburgh

Interesting comments on the ST4S, which we all seem to agree is a cracking bike. I have just had the clutch replaced at 12k miles, which I thought must be early but I see a couple of you guys have also had to replace it then. Same with warped disks (twice for me). Oh, and a rear shock. Otherwise it has not missed a beat in taking me all over Scotland as well as two European trips.
Old 02-Oct-2003, 16:14
Mille

Mood: Back on the bike
You'd think there would be more of them about and particulalrly in the most becoming shade of the 'bat-barf grey' colour scheme that avoids the garish
red and yellow arrangements favoured by so many fellow members with their rapid
machines.
Old 03-Oct-2003, 10:29

High Mileages

Since changing job circumstances mean
I now use my St4s for my daily 135mile round trip to work ,its clocked up 10,800 miles.
So far its had replaced, fuel gauge lcd display ( found cracked at dealer pdi),
Ecu,(under warranty at first service, poor battery charging),rear tyre at 3,000, front tyre at 7,000. Its now on Avon Av45st Azarro's front and rear. Chain has been adjusted only 3 times. I'm getting nearly 60mpg at 'motorway' speeds.

I'm going to change the cam-belts myself (I'm a reasonably competent mechanic) as there's no official dealer in my area!
Found this 'tech info' web site useful

http://www.ducatitech.com

I'm going to get my local garage to check out the tip that the belts are same ones as those used in Renault Clio 1.1 engine

The headlight is c##p! I've just put a 100w H1 bulb in the main beam to try and get a better spread of light (not very 'euro legal' but it seems to work),it does get mighty hot though so I'm restricting its' use to only when bike is 'in motion'

And finally, as I'm going to be on the bike all winter, has anyone got any recommendations for heated grips??

Pete

[Edited on 3-10-2003 by PeteC]
Old 03-Oct-2003, 11:37
Ducati Corse

Is it really worth saving a few quid by using belts off a car? I'm as tight as they come but i wouldnt risk it, if only for piece of mind.
Old 03-Oct-2003, 19:20

belts

The new official Ducati belts I've got in my grubby paws have the following part number written on them

Gates Powergrip (made in UK)
HTD 120 2 1 11DS

Seems daft to me to pay 'extra' just because the belts have been shipped to Italy and back again if they're made in UK!! If I can get the same belt cheaper by cutting out the middle-man in Italy,why not?

http://www.gates.com/europe/sitemap.cfm?location_id=245

Pete