Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-May-2003, 17:31
Mille

Mood: Back on the bike
Touring items & advice ?

I am pondering the problem of how to carry a 42 mm. spanner, 1 L. top-up bottle of engine oil and some Scottoiler oil stashed into the underseat, or similar area for an extended bash around the hi-ways and by-ways of Europe ? A combination Allen set folds away neatly, the few tools that Ducati supply are best left at home, and any tips from experienced tourers of what to take , and how would be gratefully received.

Also, those puncture repair kits with a small gas canister and a 'plug' sealed in with solvent, are they worth it & do they work OK on the road, or is one better off with Green Slime or one of those other puncture sealant cans ?
Old 27-May-2003, 21:11
Mille

Mood: need enlightenment
What bike have you got?

I have the st4 and best purchase was the full pannier set so carrying the hairdryer and kitchen sink for her who shall be obeyed isnt a problem.

it make carrying a few bits for those ducati moments a little easier and a tank bag

just done 1950 to france and back
Old 28-May-2003, 10:36
Montjuic

Mood: when am i riding next?
My ST2 now has 30,000 on the clock. Just back from a run to Monza, play time in the Alps and then went over to Le Mans for the GP. I've also taken her to Valencia, Assen, Knockhill etc.

Tools
I have a small Halfords socket set and allen key set and the Ducati supplied kit. I have rarely used them.

Puncture repair
I don't carry a repair kit. A puncture is so rare that I regard it as a major breakdown..!!

Insurance
I have RAC European cover for me and the bike. Worth every penny. Make sure you are covered for getting you and the bike back home. I've never needed it but the guy I was with at Le Mans lost a cam belt on the way home and they paid for everything to get him and bike home.

Personal Accident cover
I have a Amex policy that covers me for any eventuality. Some EXCLUDE motorcycling as a "dangerous sport"..!! Make absolutely sure you are covered in the event of a spill.

trust this helps. Drop me a mail if want to

Ant
Old 28-May-2003, 10:58
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
It's suprising just how much room there is in the two side fairings each side of the seat.
When off to Europe, I manage to squeeze
8,10,13,17,19, & 21mm sockets, 3/8 etxn & ratchet, spare nuts, washers, bolts, fuses, bulbs, puncture outfit, full allen key set, gerber multitool, disposable camera, hand cleaning wipes, loads of cable ties, insulating tape, puncture repair kit and a first aid kit in there - sad I know, and that is as well as a full set of spanners, pliers, mini molegrips and a mini Maglite torch the tool kit bag.
This leaves the panniers free for my bottles of cheap booze & several boxes of cheap fags to keep Nelly happy!
Aye!
Old 28-May-2003, 15:27
Mille

Mood: Back on the bike
I have an ST4s . So therein lies the trick. Use the two side "hamster"side fairing pouches and wrap up the items . What do you do about the rear spindle nut ?
and the oils , Martin ? You must have needed some, in 1950 m. around la belle France, or did you buy these as best available en route ?
Old 28-May-2003, 16:34
Ducati Corse

I'm packing at the moment for our france trip on friday. My ST4 hasnt used a drop of oil since i last did it about 4000 miles ago so i dont plan on taking any. The rear tyre has that green stuff in it so that isnt a problem, and i read somewhere that you tend to get most punctures in the rear tyre anyhow. I've added a n allen key set and a spanner to fit the levers and i'm taking a spare brake/clutch lever but thats it really.
Oh and i got European recovery plus medical insurance ( for both of us) from Direct Line for £44.00 which i was quite please with!

Paul.
Old 28-May-2003, 23:36
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
I am also heading into France on Friday, on my way down to Mugello. Preparation, check oil and top up as neccessary, top up scottoiler and carry spare bottle in side pouch, standard toolkit, puncture outfit, cable ties, tyre gauge and gaffer tape-thats it. I have done Italy twice, France once and Germany once-never missed a beat. If you adjust your chain before you leave and keep it well lubed it shouldn't need touching before you return-so you don't need a big socket.

John
Old 29-May-2003, 08:59
Ducati Corse

I put the Scotoiler on my bike when i got it about 4000 miles ago and i havent needed to adjust the chain yet!
Good point John, i'd forgotten to take extra oil for it!

Paul.
Old 29-May-2003, 11:34
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Always happy to help. Whereabouts are you heading?? We are going to Troyes Friday night and then down onto the Massive Centrale probably Florac for a couple of days and then onto Florence.
Florac is a village on the N106 just south of Mende if you are interested.

John
Old 29-May-2003, 11:46

I am also heading to Mugello on Tuesday on my ST4S. You mention putting stuff in the side pouches - what do you pack it in, and how do you stop it rattling around?
I have fixed the Scotoiler in the LH side pouch which limits my carrying capacity. I also struggle to get the oiler working reliably, but thats another story!
Mike