Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 08-Dec-2005, 22:49
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by FiscusFish
Quote:
Originally posted by adnydrum

My '99 900SSie just had a major service which came to £524. However, 4 hours of it was replacing 3 shims, so I was a bit unlucky.

How the hell do you take 4 hours to change shims? Did they have to get a bus to another dealer to get stock...?

Could always try it your self.............. i recon its a technical complex job requiring expert attention......... i would compare it to a bstard solicitor, or estate agent!
Old 08-Dec-2005, 22:57
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
any of the ss's to do the rear cyl exhaust shims (valve clearances) is a nightmare to get to them because of the suspension.

If it needs shimming it is quite time consuming.

Snells have a very good reputation, and are not known for ripping people off. A fair 'old fashioned' company IMHO

Alan
Old 09-Dec-2005, 09:49
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
Could always try it your self.............. i recon its a technical complex job requiring expert attention......... i would compare it to a bstard solicitor, or estate agent!

I've only had to check the valves on my SL 5-6 times and had to adjust them 2-3 times so I'm certainly not an expert. It's not like I work at a Ducati dealers and work on them everyday...

The valves are the trickiest part of servicing a 2-valve but only from an access point of view as Alan says, however engines don't get much less complex than the DesmoDue. They're only one step up from C90s... Compared to checking or worse adjusting the valves on a Japanese IL4 with 16 under bucket shims (or God forbid a VFR V4 with VTEC) it's a piece of wee wee...

Getting to the shims for the vertical cylinder requires you to take off the rear shock and remove the battery and a few other bits. The bike's having a service anyway so the fairing and belts are liable to be off. Worse case is the closer shims need doing on the vertical cylinder but 4 hours (say 3 1/2 hours if you get the trainee to undo the 2 bolts holding on the shock and the couple to the battery...)?

It's a fallacy that all Ducatis are difficult and complex to work on and require the skilled and trained hands of surgeons to fix.

Darren
Old 09-Dec-2005, 10:36
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
nelly I think will be around the same cost...most of the dealers are...3-400+vat + anything extra
Old 09-Dec-2005, 11:45
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by FiscusFish
Quote:
Originally posted by andyb

I've only had to check the valves on my SL 5-6 times and had to adjust them 2-3 times so I'm certainly not an expert. It's not like I work at a Ducati dealers and work on them everyday...

The valves are the trickiest part of servicing a 2-valve but only from an access point of view as Alan says, however engines don't get much less complex than the DesmoDue. They're only one step up from C90s... Compared to checking or worse adjusting the valves on a Japanese IL4 with 16 under bucket shims (or God forbid a VFR V4 with VTEC) it's a piece of wee wee...

Getting to the shims for the vertical cylinder requires you to take off the rear shock and remove the battery and a few other bits. The bike's having a service anyway so the fairing and belts are liable to be off. Worse case is the closer shims need doing on the vertical cylinder but 4 hours (say 3 1/2 hours if you get the trainee to undo the 2 bolts holding on the shock and the couple to the battery...)?

It's a fallacy that all Ducatis are difficult and complex to work on and require the skilled and trained hands of surgeons to fix.

Darren
There you go then, get fiscusfish to do it for you.........

I recon Baines take the heads off to do the shims!
Old 09-Dec-2005, 22:50

So I guess all things considered, £549 although expensive, is not exceptional.

Am waiting for a price from Sigma Performance. They quote 2 valve servicing from £275 +VAT +parts inc. lapping valves, etc.

With the bike being worth so little, I just can't justify spending £549 on a service.

My Dad was a mechanic for 20-odd years - looks like I might have to bring him out of retirement!
Old 11-Dec-2005, 12:24
Bevel Head

This is a copy of an email from Jeff at GTEC. Hope it's of use.

Thanks for your enquiry.
To service your 750ie should cost no more than £400, this includes belts,
oil, filters, engine set-up (this cannot be done by most independent dealers
as they do not have the diagnostic kit!), valve clearance setting, hydraulic
fluid change etc, basically it is a full front to rear service!
The belts should be changed on a 2 year basis irrespective of the mileage,
so if your unsure of the history I would recommend that you have them
changed. As the belts are removed during the service there is no difference
in labour cost so you are only paying for the cost of the belts.
I am situated South of Leicester, near Market Harborough and on the Border
of Northamptonshire, so when you want your Ducati servicing let me know and
I'll send you some directions.
Best regards,
Jeff

http://www.gtecperformance.co.uk/