Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Nov-2006, 11:52

Going to tune up my 1000ss myself

Hi!

I have a 2003 1000ss with 10,000 miles on the clock. The last tune up was at 6,000 miles. Previous tune ups were done at a Ducati dealer. I have some basic questions. I am going to go down to the Ducati dealer and buy the following:

1) Oil

2) Oil filter

3) 4 spark plugs

4) New air cleaner

What else should I be changing? Should I be changing the brake pads at 10,000 miles also? I am not sure how to tell if they need replacing or not.

Any special tools needed?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks –

Scott
Old 03-Nov-2006, 12:47
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Well, there are no special tools you will need other than maybe an oil filter wrench to loosen the oil filter. You're only supposed to tighten the oil filter finger tight when you do it up, but somehow they always seem a bugger to undo. Make sure you get a strap type filter wrench, the ones with a chain won't fit between the rear of the filter and the sump casting.

Make sure that you get the washers for the oil filter and a washer for the gauze filter 'cos you'll want to take the gauze filter out as well and check for crud and debris.

You might want to replace the fuel filter as well as your little list, and it sounds as if a Haynes manual wouldn't go amiss

Brake pads have a wear groove in them so if the groove is gone, time to change pads. You can see the groove by looking down through the caliper.

Mind you, there are a couple of warnings here. With no disrespect, and without trying to sound arrogant, are you sure that you should be servicing brakes if you don't know what to look for?

The other thing is that the little list you've written up will save you money if you can do them yourself, but if you haven't had the 12,000 mile service yet there's a whole list of other service items to check, such as valve shims, that would be better done by a qualified service centre

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 03-Nov-2006, 14:04
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Hi Scott, when I read the title to your thread I though "aha, someone else knows the secret of the 1000ss" then I read it to find you were talking about servicing.
My 2003 twinspark is having a little "tuning" done to it currently-it's at JHP having a 1080 kit, performance cams, gasflow, performance exhaust, fueling setup etc etc-different thing altogether.

John

Growing old-disgracefully!
Old 03-Nov-2006, 14:07
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Erm, I'm afraid I had similar thoughts to Jools.

Also - unless you are going to ride the bike over winter - why not leave servicing until the new year? Keep your money until after xmas - you might need it!

Good luck - Frank

John - please make sure you bring that 1000ss to the next DSC trackday
Old 03-Nov-2006, 16:22
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

I have your ride booked Frank.

John

Old 03-Nov-2006, 16:28
Big Twin

Mood: Black and grey (and a bit of red)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty
Hi Scott, when I read the title to your thread I though "aha, someone else knows the secret of the 1000ss" then I read it to find you were talking about servicing.
My 2003 twinspark is having a little "tuning" done to it currently-it's at JHP having a 1080 kit, performance cams, gasflow, performance exhaust, fueling setup etc etc-different thing altogether.

John

What sort of bhp has Mr. Hackett promised out of that little lot?

And do you get some sort of deal on the cost?

Just wondered like....
Old 03-Nov-2006, 17:19
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
If it turns out somewhere in the 1080 Multistrada ballpark that JHP lent us for the BMF, it'll be somewhere in the 110-115 bracket...

Och captain...the crystals will never take it

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 04-Nov-2006, 16:46
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood

I'm not sure what sort of power it will make, but Paul Sutcliff sent me a txt this morning saying his Multi-which has had a similar tune-is putting out 94bhp-at the rear wheel-with 69ft lbs of torque. That should be fun in a 165kg Duke.

John