Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Jul-2005, 10:56
Mille
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Enjoying a REAL summer!
David,

Sold a '99 SPS earlier this year for a '02 998S, so I guess I'm closest so far to your dilema...

Buy the SPS if your trips are reasonably short and not around town, if you enjoy trackdays but not commuting, if you want to tinker and tweak to exract the ultimate from your machine.

Buy the 998 if you do the odd tour on your bike, commuted, potter around rather than go nuts out at all opportunities and want a bike that doesn't require constant attention to keep it sweet.

The SPS is a full on race bike for the road - the 998 will do everything the SPS does on road/track to within a gnats, but will be more day-to-day friendly...

Giles
Old 01-Jul-2005, 14:45
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Quote:
Originally posted by Harv748
Quote:
Originally posted by beancounter
Harv, when you gonna sell me that SP3 ?

Do I have to come round and cause trouble !

Beany boy...bring it on...

SPS ...paaah...I've seen more exclusivity in a mini metro

[Edited on 1-7-2005 by Harv748]

Stop rubbing it in Harv-it sat in my garage for 6 weeks-and like a fool I let it go.............

John
Old 01-Jul-2005, 22:50
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Mood: I like my bike
If you cannot get a ride on the FE see if you can get a ride in a 2nd hand 998S. This should help you take a decision.
Old 01-Jul-2005, 23:08
Mille

Decision made!

Thanks for all your help everyone - today I put down a deposit on the 998s FE! I collect it a week on Monday!

At the moment I am getting the following "extras" ...
[list=1]
50mm Termis
Datatool System 3 alarm
Padock stand
Carbon rear hugger
Tank protector
Front number board (stone chip protection!)[/list=1]

I am also thinking about some more carbon - just coz it looks so good on the SPS (airbox, scoops, front mudguard, exhaust heat cover).

Anything else that should be on my list?
Old 01-Jul-2005, 23:14
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
All very sensible extras, my 998 Hybrid has 50mm Termis although I have a 54mm half system sitting here waiting to be fitted, I fitted a gel type front number board yesterday and tried to fit a carbon shock gaurd earlier but will have to either remove the wheel to fit it and if that don't work i'll have to unbolt the shock to fit it.
Also fitted carbon heal gaurds to my harris rearsets yesterday.

Hopefully I'll get a nice billet clutch cover soon to show off the JHP slipper clutch.
Old 01-Jul-2005, 23:27
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
All very sensible extras, my 998 Hybrid has 50mm Termis although I have a 54mm half system sitting here waiting to be fitted, I fitted a gel type front number board yesterday and tried to fit a carbon shock gaurd earlier but will have to either remove the wheel to fit it and if that don't work i'll have to unbolt the shock to fit it.

Hopefully I'll get a nice billet clutch cover soon to show off the JHP slipper clutch.

...and you say my bikes got too much bling!
Old 02-Jul-2005, 16:32
500SD

Mood: Happy as Larry!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by david.hicks
Thanks for all your help everyone - today I put down a deposit on the 998s FE! I collect it a week on Monday!

At the moment I am getting the following "extras" ...
[list=1]
50mm Termis
Datatool System 3 alarm
Padock stand
Carbon rear hugger
Tank protector
Front number board (stone chip protection!)[/list=1]

I am also thinking about some more carbon - just coz it looks so good on the SPS (airbox, scoops, front mudguard, exhaust heat cover).

Anything else that should be on my list?
Slipper clutch,every time!! Especially since you've come off a jap bike!!!
Old 02-Jul-2005, 16:37
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
Quote:
Originally posted by Harv748
Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids

...and you say my bikes got too much bling!

THATS NOTHING
Old 02-Jul-2005, 17:35

996r engine

996r (yr 2001) has a deep sump sandcast testastretta engine ,the 998/998s engines had the same bore 100mm as the 996r. The 998r has a shorter stroke (108mm bore) than the 996r longer stroke ,smaller (100mm) bore
Apart from the crank, rods,cylinders most parts are the same ;- the heads dont look any different?
The 996r motor is the same engine as the 998s????(some 998s motors had diecast cases????
so as far as I see it the 996r does have the same motor as the 998s testastretta?

Quote:
Originally posted by BDG
David

welcome to the board.

Tough decision to make, i have owned a year 2000 SPS (with Ohlins front forks) same as the 99 SPS otherwise, and curently have a 996R which has essentially the same engine and running gear as the 998FE.

Its a very close call, the SPS is a bit more brutal, bit more character! the testastretta engine in the 998 is more powerful, smoother and refined, but certainly not bland. On balance i would go with the 996R (but only just, the difference isn't as big as you may expect in my honest opinion). Lot depends on your budget, the new bike will depreciate more, and how much you value 2 years warranty.

For a more detailed comparison do a search here on the board on a story i wrote recently comparing the 2 bikes
"996SPS vs 996R Performance Touring Test" complete with dyno graphs of both bikes.

By the way the 996R does have the 998 testasretta engine, just in case you don't know.

Good luck.
Old 02-Jul-2005, 17:39

yeh sorry misread your post,this time of night I am mostly full of s--- anyway sorry

Quote:
Originally posted by BDG
David

welcome to the board.

Tough decision to make, i have owned a year 2000 SPS (with Ohlins front forks) same as the 99 SPS otherwise, and curently have a 996R which has essentially the same engine and running gear as the 998FE.

Its a very close call, the SPS is a bit more brutal, bit more character! the testastretta engine in the 998 is more powerful, smoother and refined, but certainly not bland. On balance i would go with the 996R (but only just, the difference isn't as big as you may expect in my honest opinion). Lot depends on your budget, the new bike will depreciate more, and how much you value 2 years warranty.

For a more detailed comparison do a search here on the board on a story i wrote recently comparing the 2 bikes
"996SPS vs 996R Performance Touring Test" complete with dyno graphs of both bikes.

By the way the 996R does have the 998 testasretta engine, just in case you don't know.

Good luck.