Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Apr-2006, 19:03

daylight MOTs for Roche replica replicas

hi all

have been away for a while hence no postings for ages. Have recently had some time to sort out 888 which now looks great with new transfers (thanks Nat!) and black wheels (i am one of the many who prefer them to gold). Jasper: hope the suspension part is of some use as a spare if nothing else- so sorry about long delay.

onto the subject of the thread:

for all those out there who love the pure race looks of the 888 corsas- and after much discussion with friends on the (controversial) subject of riding road legal race replicas on the road - i found an interesting website that confirms rules on motorbike MOTs.

www.motuk.co.uk/mcmanual

it confirms that if not fitted (or if masked over) you do not need lights, direction indicators or even a brake light for your bike to pass an MOT and be road legal. your MOT would be issued with an advisory note recording that the bike can only be used in daylight.

i think that i am right in saying that www.ricambi-weiss.de still produces 888 race fairings - has anyone had any dealings with them recently?
Old 17-Apr-2006, 20:20
500SD

Mood: need a bike...
Durham Plod have advised me that I'll still need to fit a brake light, the rest of it can be (and is going to be) redundant
Old 17-Apr-2006, 20:47
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Quote:
Originally posted by dan
i think that i am right in saying that www.ricambi-weiss.de still produces 888 race fairings - has anyone had any dealings with them recently?

I bought loads off him last year (kept crashing!) without fuss. He occaisionally needed a prod to get an order moving, but most of the stuff arrived within ten days. Pretty cheap too, but the quality isn't too great.

Better quality, but more expensive, are these guys:

http://www.esprit-racing.com/part/mtmp.htm

you'll need to speak a little franglais and pay in euros.

Good luck,

Ali
Old 17-Apr-2006, 22:26
Mille

Mood: Built for comfort, not speed
Quote:
Originally posted by 851neil
Durham Plod have advised me that I'll still need to fit a brake light, the rest of it can be (and is going to be) redundant

Just wondered where you went for the info from Durham?? so I can go to my MOT station with some ammo
Old 18-Apr-2006, 01:26

pretty sure the MOT web site link listed in start of thread topic is quoting from 'The Motorcycle and Side Car Testers Manual'. para 1.1 relates to Front and Rear Position lamps; 1.2 relates to headlights; 1.3 to stoplamps and 1.5 to direction indicators. I pressume that this is the manual that MOT testers go by and that they will, therefore, have a copy of it - can anyone confirm that this is the manual that lays down the law for MOTs?
Old 18-Apr-2006, 01:49
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Neil

Hope you got that in writing

Dan

It might save you a fine off the boys in blue if you do a search on the sporting club message board for 'daylight mot'

Phil
Old 18-Apr-2006, 19:06
500SD

couple of dealers have offered me a daytime MOT -Kawasaki Newcastle, M&S. I asked the BiB at the last Durham bike open day (Police run it regularly), don't remember who I spoke to but it was a traffic bike guy.
cheers

Neil
Old 19-Apr-2006, 00:24
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
I think that unless you have a letter from your local force stating that the machine is legal without lights then a police officer can use his discretion and report you.

At the end of the day all he has to say is that in his opinion the road conditions dictated that a dipped headlight should have been used and you didn't have one fitted, so you were therefore a danger to yourself and other road users.

I ran a ducati years ago with a daytime mot but I certainly wouldn't chance it now. Too many rules and regulations.

Old 19-Apr-2006, 01:10

Hi,i may be wronge,but i think you need an audible meens of warning a horn and after '85 the brake light must work off both the front +back brake levers,the rest can't be failed if not fitted.This was told to me by a ministry tester some years ago. Steve R. Cornwall P.S. The old type bulb type is no longer legal (toot toot=no good shame!) p.p.s termi's don't count.
Old 19-Apr-2006, 22:13
500SD

yes - a horn is a must and is being fitted, spoke to the local testing station today and they stated that if they tested it then a note would be placed on the MOT stating Daytime use only...
Phl your'e perfectly correct if it's overcast, miserable or I get caught out then I can be pink ticketed at the very least - but then again I don't intend to be out on the bike at any other time than summer days and long summer nights & it certainly won't be seeing any rain - unless I'm caught out and have no option but to ride...Saying all of this though I'm planning to ride her to the IOM for the TT hmmmm should be a good test of all of the comments made up to now...
I'm also leaving the facility to take power off the loom for the lighting circuit - just in case