Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Nov-2004, 22:48
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
S2R, 620 & Paul Smarts bikes (NEC)

Alan has come away from the NEC today scratching his head because having seen the the new S2R, and also the 620 monster - and all 3 Paul Smart bikes, he is very confused about the front brake calipers

All of these bikes have got fitted with 2 piston slider calipers, which seems to be very old technology - as Ducati have been using 4 pot brembos on the monster range for quite a long time - in fact, as far back as he can remember..

Does anyone know why Ducati have done this?

Is this a way of of saving money? - or is there some new technology surrounding them? - as they look like the ones fitted to bikes 15 or more years ago.

Anyone have any answers?

Is it also right that the Paul Smarts arent going to be launched till 2006 now - is there a problem - as the bikes on the stand looked all 'together'

Old 04-Nov-2004, 23:22
GTL

Cheaper calipers !!

And Sport Classics at show are still the prototype/mock ups from last year
Old 04-Nov-2004, 23:26
500SD

I guess they must be ok. But not half as good looking on the bike . Must be ample but did notice on 1000ie spec same as s4r. Would look better in gold.

Good jobby I will be getting S4r then CK
Old 05-Nov-2004, 00:11
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Smiley and waiting for the sunshine
What about the 620 Multi-Strada...?
No single swing, lower seat...(so I can get on it!)
AND a snip at £5500...I wish I could go to the NEC...
Do you think if I wish hard enough and click the heels of my red chipie trainers 3 times i might get there???
Old 05-Nov-2004, 09:49
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Albie - :P:P

Lisa, I'm sure a sickie is due??

Anyone else - what about these brakes then?

C
Old 07-Nov-2004, 19:04
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
They are the same type as fitted to my 600 hornet only brembo instead of nissin, they worked well but got worse due to rubber brake lines, I guess the s2r will still come with braided lines?

The calipers were mounted on some sort of sliding pin system so the caliper moved as you braked because the pistons only come from the outside pad and the pulls the inside pad in, i think? looks more complex and more parts involved to mount caliper to and the sliders needed regular cleaning/greasing in winter to

they don't look so good either
Old 07-Nov-2004, 20:27
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Maybe its more to do with Brembo offering Ducati a economical but effective calliper to help the Marketing price of the new bikes.

Even back in the 70s I remember Brembo doing 2-pot opposed piston callipers
Old 16-Nov-2004, 00:28
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
Just found this pic on the ducati.com, clearly shows the sliding bracket for the caliper look better than the nissins I had on my honda and still have braided hoses

Pads look easier to get out to, still a shame they used them instead of goldlines but I guess costs got to be cut somewhere
Old 16-Nov-2004, 09:23
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by CK and AK
Alan has come away from the NEC today scratching his head because having seen the the new S2R, and also the 620 monster - and all 3 Paul Smart bikes, he is very confused about the front brake calipers

All of these bikes have got fitted with 2 piston slider calipers, which seems to be very old technology - as Ducati have been using 4 pot brembos on the monster range for quite a long time - in fact, as far back as he can remember..

Does anyone know why Ducati have done this?

Is this a way of of saving money? - or is there some new technology surrounding them? - as they look like the ones fitted to bikes 15 or more years ago.

Anyone have any answers?

Is it also right that the Paul Smarts arent going to be launched till 2006 now - is there a problem - as the bikes on the stand looked all 'together'

My understanding was that spec on the SportClassics hadn't been finalised yet - only a few key things ilke Ohlins all round (for the Paul Smart anyway)

I was originally told that I would get my Paul Smart in Nov 05 but thats actually when they start building them. The best information I have regarding delivery is Spring 06. Il Duce has ordered one as well and is closer to Ducati than I so maybe he has better information?
Old 16-Nov-2004, 14:47
Big Twin

It's all just another example of poorer build and component quality from Ducati these days.

We were looking at that 749R: the God-awful weld in the front of the tank, which looked like it'd been done by a 1st-year apprentice, with a tacky seam an inch or so below it: not good enough on a motorcycle that expensive. And WTF is that horrible colour they're making them these days. had me wondering if it was the lights in the hall, or my eyesight. Looked more like "red oxide" than anything else! :P

Have to say the best-built bike on the stand looked to be the 1000DS (Supersport), easily.