Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Jul-2006, 16:14
500SD

Mood: DOH!
Talking

I'm basing my reply on claimed figures from manufacturers. I don't know if you're bike is standard or not either. According to Ducatis own claims the 996R gives out 75 torques, this, in fact, is virtually identical to weeksys R1 which claims 77.
The gixxers on the other hand claim between 81 and 87.
I've ridden with a fellow on a 999 (albeit while I was running mine in) and can confirm that in the lower revs (4-6k) the 999 had more stomp. As soon as you get above that it cannot hold a candle unless you have a lot of money to throw at it.
You will probably find that the R1 is reasonably closely matched but that's because R1's are for girls!
Old 18-Jul-2006, 17:36
500SD

Lol, yep, complete girls bike
Old 18-Jul-2006, 17:50
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Like Weeksy said though, the main problem isn't having all that power, it's finding somewhere that you can use it all.

I wonder where you could keep any litre bike pinned all the way through the gears? I guess that would make most A & B road scratching fun I guess you either keep the revs down or just use three gears

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 18-Jul-2006, 18:29
everton

The last R1 I rode was Whele's and that ain't no snail however I never had any problem's staying with him on my 999R or vice versa - straight line only mind - and we were'nt hanging around.

Obviously Gary is way more accomplished than me on the twisties but then someone way more accomplished than me would easily stick with him on a 999R on those twisties.

I liked the R1 but the power delivery is completely different to the 999R and therefore, dare I suggest it, not as enjoyable or usable than the 999R - or is it just familiarity on my part.

At the end of the day - I was at Foxes last night (which, strictly speaking, was at the end of yesterday actually ) and out of 300+ bikes there was 1 X 999R , 1 X 996 SPS and a couple of 996's of other specs. There were dozens of R1s, moreso than any evident Fireblades, Kwaks or K6s, oh and the crowd was round the 999R as always even in its neglected stated.

Power isn't everything.
Old 18-Jul-2006, 18:42
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
oh god...we're into mines bigger than yours!!

FANTASTIC!

R1's for girls.....well I saw a couple out on Sunday and they werre ridden by girls, maybe theres something in that

arent Dukes quoted at the wheel and Japs at the crank?? Cant remember seeing (other than the 2006 models) a test which had any over them over 80...ready to be corrected
Old 18-Jul-2006, 18:54
everton

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders

As I said power (size) isn't everything!
Old 18-Jul-2006, 19:21
500SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders

FANTASTIC!

R1's for girls.....well I saw a couple out on Sunday and they werre ridden by girls, maybe theres something in that

arent Dukes quoted at the wheel and Japs at the crank?? Cant remember seeing (other than the 2006 models) a test which had any over them over 80...ready to be corrected

Lol, at least someone gets my comments in context!
I couldn't find any tests in my mags which were in ftlb, they were all in Nm, but they has the 999s at 98 and all the jap thous over 100.
Another improtant factor is weight, Dukes are pretty heavy. Whilst I know that the japs overstate their weights (should that be understate?) there's no doubt that Dukes are heavier, and mostly overgeared as well.

At the end of the day, I'm playing devils advocate here, it makes little real difference out there on the roads, especially since rider skill plays such a huge part in it.

Jen.

P.S. Jools, you don't need much room for a thou when your name's not Weeksy mate! ;-)
Old 18-Jul-2006, 19:23
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
I was quite happily staying with litre IL4's out of the hairpin at Jerez onto the start/finish straight - and they were quicker mid-corner then me. After we had reached 3rd or 4th they'd start to pull away but then we were in the braking zone quite quickly so made stuff all difference. I also had trouble keeping the front on the deck, I wouldn't have minded playing around with the gearing on it, maybe even going taller. That was on a bog standard 998R.

Shame I'm selling it ..

Don't these R1's drink a little oil
Old 18-Jul-2006, 22:25
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
LOL you boys are slaying me....

we're comparing a £3500 stock R1 with a 998R and a 999R for power.... LOL and the best you can give me is "i had no trouble sticking with it"

Come on gents... have a word.... we're talking 4 years and over £10,000 difference... i could by 6 of my bikes for what Everton paid for his

Jools, you're right fella, it's hard keeping them pinned and in some ways it does detract a little from the experience.... but i can live with that
Old 19-Jul-2006, 00:25
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
but mine is a '98....ok 18k when new but then the R1 would be about £7k ish

think the question is what is more fun.....oh and more usable......oh and more tasteful smooth, sleek iconic 916 or cheap, mass produced jap clap trap!!

:0

firm tongue in cheek