Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Mar-2006, 15:08

antonye sounds a good deal to me.
Cant make Cadwell though!
Motherinlaw's party
Old 20-Mar-2006, 15:11
Big Twin

David>

Ring Louigi. He stocks some very good batteries which have more oomph that the the stock one, and they're the same size, so no need to modify the tray.

Can't remember what they're called, but I've got one and it cost around 50 quid odd, can't remember exactly.
Old 20-Mar-2006, 15:44
Mille

Quote:
Originally posted by TP
On a standard 996 I had one cable tied into the battery tray and raised with some cardboard cut to fit the tray. I was going to do something more permanent but I sold the bike and bought the 998R. The R needed a battery recently but the tray is even smaller than the 996 so I just bought a Varta direct replacement instead of going the Odyssey route.

If Odyssey made a battery small enough to fit the tray in the R and had twice the cranking amps I'd have one in a shot - they are great.

Do you know if an Otimate will work with this Odyssey battery?
Old 22-Mar-2006, 17:02
Mille

Mood: good
i think optimates will work with any battery won't they???

Failing that, you can always bump start your bike! Works every time with mine...
Old 22-Mar-2006, 18:31
Mille

I wasn't sure, but it says on the Optimate website that it is "optimised for modern batteries from 2.5 Ah to 28 Ah"

The Odyssey PC680 is 16Ah so it should be OK - I hope so anyway as I have just ordered one from here!
Old 22-Mar-2006, 18:56
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

I use a Battery Tender. I don’t use it all the time because the drain/discharge is very slow for this type of battery. I charge it when the on-board voltmeter drops from 12.8V to (say) 12.7V or 12.6V.

In the Owners Manual that comes with the battery, here’s what the manufacturer (Hawker) says about chargers:

“To get long life from the Odyssey battery it is important that the battery be kept near full charge. Low power 1.25 amp Battery Tenders will keep a fully charged battery fully charged, but cannot recharge if Odyssey becomes discharged.

Special chargers such as the Deltran 12V 6 amp or 12V 20 amp designed for Odyssey are required for routine deep discharge applications (such as total loss racing applications where you don’t charge during a race). If a standard automotive charger is used to boost charge a discharged battery (11.5V) because of an accessory left on, it is important to make sure that the charging voltage does not exceed 15V during charge.”

(For a PC 680 this means no faster than a two hour charge time at 10 amps.)

BTW, the Odyssey carries a two year full free replacement warranty when used in a motorcycle.

http://batterytender.com/notice_odys...43f5 f600533f

Notice to Odyssey Battery Users

Deltran Battery Tender no longer endorses nor recommends the Hawker Energy Products Odyssey line of batteries for PowerSports vehicles. In our opinion, Hawker's advertising program for the Odyssey battery does not promote the best interest of the PowerSports industry or consuming public.

The marketing department at Hawker uses the term "PCA" to rate their battery cold cranking capacity. The term "Pulse Cranking Ampere" is not a BCI (Battery Council International) industry standard and in our opinion should not be used to measure battery output.

The battery industry has, and still uses, a very specific set of criteria to test batteries ("CCA"). The term "PCA" can be, and is, very misleading to the consumer because it is inconsistent with industry standards.

Deltran is a forty year old family-owned business that prides itself on not only customer satisfaction, but most importantly, product safety. In our opinion the chargers specifications recommended by Hawker could be very dangerous to the average consumer if those chargers were inadvertently used on normal flooded or gel batteries.

Deltran also believes that most of the today's PowerSports vehicles are supplied with standard alternators that have an output of approximately 14.2 volts. Hawker Odyssey batteries require a voltage over 14.7 volts to fully recharge the battery. The standard alternator will not return a Hawker Odyssey battery to a full state of charge.

We feel that the Hawker Odyssey battery was developed for the Stand-by Power industry and not for Powersports vehicles.

COMMENT: This sounds like a finger-pointing battery failure dispute between Hawker and Deltran, but I can address the two issues mentioned.

First, my Odyssey Owners Manual states that the battery is rated at 280 "CCA", not "PCA" as Deltran claims, so I haven't been misled.

Second, according to my on-board digital voltmeter, my 916 charging system that outputs around 13.6V will bring an Odyssey to the fully-charged voltage level of 12.8 volts that Hawker specifies, so Deltran's statement that a voltage output greater than 14.7 volts is needed for a full recharge is not correct - at least for a partially discharged PC680 battery. Perhaps this is an issue only for an Odyssey that has seen a deep discharge.

[Edited on 3-22-2006 by Shazaam!]
Old 23-Mar-2006, 13:08
Mille

Blimey! What does that all mean in practice for an electronic-ignoramus like me with an Odyssey PC680 and an Optimate III?
Old 23-Mar-2006, 13:33
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
I'm with you David. Will it start or won't it is about as complicated as I can cope with. Having read this thread I've just checked if my 996 will turn it over and it does. Before Christmas, it was dead. I first put it on a full size (i.e. not an Optimate) battery charger as the battery was only about 9 months old. That got it going and since then it's been on an Optimate. Started up a treat just now.

Might sound stupid but do you know there's a little button on the throttle that gives it (I'm assuming) a touch of choke to start it up. I only discovered this about a year ago so pardon me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs. Let it run for 2 or 3 minutes then rev the throttle and the button will click off.

Old 23-Mar-2006, 13:54
Mille

Funny you should mention that - I discovered it for the first time at the weekend when I got my bike up on my new lift for the first time and saw it from a whole new angle!
Old 23-Mar-2006, 16:36
Mille
Bikes: 748R, ZXR 400

Mood: Glad to be back down south.
Whaaattt!!!! Only just noticed, how have you guys been cold starting it then? Never mind, not a choke but a device that holds open the throttle slightly via a wedge within the throttle mech to save you blipping. ECU works out the correct ratio mixture for cold starts via sensors and pure magic.