Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Feb-2009, 20:52
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

I am sure that previously its been fine when touring but I remember riding from Salisbury to Brands Hatch watching BSB and on my return to the bike park the engine only just catching. My feeling is that I am happy to pay a premium for a better battery and modify the battery tray if it gives some additional security.

I wil definitely check the wiring/charging system, not having done it before what I am I looking for, just something higher or a specific resistance.
Old 02-Mar-2009, 18:59
Montjuic

It sounds like you may have the usual dreaded ST regulator/rectifier problem. You certainly need to check it. Without looking it up, I can't remember the exact figures, but it's ringing a bell that your reg/rect. should be throwing out about 14.5 volts when charging. Also check the state of the cables and connectors for anything that's fried (or rubbed through and shorting).

The ST's gave loads of problems with these. Basically because the originals were pants. So much so that there were warranty replacements available.
Mine was changed with no charge (pardon the pun) when the bike was 6 years old. So ring Ducati UK and see if yours has any outstanding warranty work or recalls. They will still honour them.

If you haven't got a multi-meter, any half decent mechanic will be able to tell you in 2 minutes if your battery is not receiving enough charge. The regulator is under and to the rear of the right hand side of the headlamp housing.
Defininetly check it before bunging money at another battery.
Old 04-Mar-2009, 14:30
Ducati Corse

You need to be seeing about 14.5 volts across the battery with the engine running at about 2k, the voltage should stay constant when the revs rise but it may drop back at tickover.
Old 05-Mar-2009, 03:29
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

back in the saddle yet?

Howdy Rockhopper. Just noticed you haven't started your ST since June. So, just wondering how your rehab is coming along. Will you be riding soon? (please say yes)
BTW, I keep my ST on Optimate 24/7 during the winter when early morning cranking might create a problem, but when it warms up I generally ride more and the battery seems up to snuff. Optimate is a saver though...great purchase.
Old 05-Mar-2009, 09:47
Ducati Corse

Hi Jim! I started it up the other day and rode it to Cornerspeed (five miles!!) for him to check rockers (didn't need any) and valve clearances etc, then i collected it on saturday and we went for a 50 mile ride around the area. The arm didn't give me any trouble, infact i'd forgotten all about it till you mentioned it!

Hoping to be doing a lot more riding this year, my new lady friend is a biker (well if you can call a 600 Diversion a bike)!

I'm not on here that much these days, spend most of my internet time over on the Italian Sporting club forum.
Old 05-Mar-2009, 17:28
Ducati Meccanica

Should the regulator have been changed during services at a main dealer or only if I had pointed out a potential issue.
Old 05-Mar-2009, 20:29
Ducati Corse

Regulators are not a service item, they would only have looked at it if you'd told them you were having a problem.
Old 06-Mar-2009, 02:55
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

I thought you were going to say you were not on here much cause you were spending a lot of time on your new girlfriend (despite the Diversion).

Glad to hear the arm is better!
Old 10-Mar-2009, 22:20
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhopper
You need to be seeing about 14.5 volts across the battery with the engine running at about 2k, the voltage should stay constant when the revs rise but it may drop back at tickover.

What is the acceptable range ?
Old 10-Mar-2009, 23:32
Montjuic

Mood: bring on the sun !
Talking I Feel Blessed

could be a bit lucky but my ST still has same battery from new, standard fit gel, which by its design will hold charge better when not used than a lead acid cell, anyway, have regularily only run mine in summer boost battery once maybe twice in winter and run trouble free all summer without charge, and will most likely do same this year, why are you lot having so much bother? Are you killing the battery by overcharging or are the chargers you use not suitable for gel packs as they overheat and distort if charged too quickly.