Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Feb-2004, 16:38
Montjuic

Mood: FREEEZZZING

Hi New here.
I have just brought a 916 97 model, with Termi´s, Marchesini´s and a little Carbon. I have a 14 tooth front sprocket but its not on the bike. Does it make a difference to put it on, do I need a new chain ? What other mods have you guys done to your bikes, WHY did you do them and was it worth it ??
Thanks for a great site, I am living in SWEDEN where DUCATI`s dont have the clubs and shops so its good to read this board.
Old 08-Feb-2004, 16:42
Dibble

Hiya,

The 14 tooth sprocket is one of the most common upgrades you will find, it makes a noticable difference to your throttle response and helps punch you along ....

As for other mods, the list is endless ... lightened flywheels, larger airtubes, Ohlins rear shocks ....

The other very common and noticable upgrade is to fit a 180 section rear tyre in lace of the 190, it will help it turn in quicker .....

With the sprocket you may need to shorten the chain slightly but someone with more know - how than me will be along soon to advise you on that ....

Old 08-Feb-2004, 17:46
Mille

Mood: Feeling Sad being Ducati-less :(
Welcome

The 14 tooth sprocket is a very quick and easy improvement on the bike, you won't need to shorten the chain unless its very stretched, in which case, change it along with the rear sprocket !

If you do change the sprocket, make sure you adjust the chain correctly and turn the rear hub the correct direction to adjust the chain, otherwise you handling will go south very quickly !!

Other mods as stated are endless, limited only by your wallet to be honest.

Personally the best mod I have done to my bike other than the 14 tooth fron sprocket is to have a slipper clutch fitted and a power commander fitted and setup correctly, the bike is completely standard other than that now and is briliant. Mine used to be tricked up with most of the extras on it, but I've put it back to near standard now and still love it and I have some extra cash in my pocket now !!

Enjoy it..............

[Edited on 8-2-2004 by muttsnuts]
Old 09-Feb-2004, 07:44
Bevel Head

Mood: Spring is coming, but its a bit
Welcome to the board Rick_916,
I did the 14t front mod a few months ago. It makes the bike far easier to ride at low speed in towns and for feeding through traffic. It seems to be a bit better off the throttle as well. The only downside Ive noticed is that motorway cruising speeds (real world - 85-90mph) is a bit more 'busy' with more vibration due to the higher revs.
Overall, definately a worthwhile mod. Ive got the 180 section rear to go on when I get my new tyres put on as well.

cheers,
Ben