Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Nov-2006, 19:33
Montjuic

Mood: Saving
Hi, here's my take on the new model , i think that this is a lovely bike, but i think its the bike that should have replaced the 748/998 three or so years ago (sorry 749/999 owners) and when it was time for a new model after that the designers could have really gone to town and given us something really specatular this time .

Last edited by wato39 : 15-Nov-2006 at 19:35.
Old 15-Nov-2006, 19:53
500SD

Mood: I can live with backpain!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDaMauler
I think Ducati will sell a few 1098`s and clean up in WSB/BSB and maybe AMA!!! when they start racing it, then all the Jap factories will start shouting about the extra 100-200cc`s.

Its about aesthetics,performance is a seperate issue and Ducati have never had a problem with that.
Old 16-Nov-2006, 00:13
888 at Last !!!

Mood: On the up
I agree, but Ducati need to sell road bikes in order (I presume) to help fund the track - surely bike evolution can only go at a certain, albeit slightly unknown commercial, pace? So, in creating an iconic superbike (take your pick) and then a less popular version (take your pick!) (supposedly) they have to try and harmonise what they would like to do, versus what the rest are doing, versus what they can do so that we continue to buy into wanting one.

For a less 'mass' manufacturer like Ducati, this must be a difficult balance.

Phew, can't even think if that reads right, off to lie down :0
Old 16-Nov-2006, 10:12
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 749R 2004

Mood: luvin' bein back out on the 'R'
Wink speed blocks ? on a Ducati ??

who said it was like an R1 ?

speed blocks ? on a Ducati ??

that aside....I like it I do...........needs more carbon tho'

Sharpy (carbon *****)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1098side panel tri.jpg (52.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 16-Nov-2006, 18:41
Mille

Mood: Ha ha eat my flailing tyre rubbe
I think in all honesty the look of the bike will become less important when people start to test ride it. Yes it is an 'evolution of the 916' which is no bad thing, yes it looks nothing like a 749r which for me is how the 999 should have looked in the first place, but if we want to keep buying ducati's then the company needs to be selling bikes and they reckon this look will so let's hope it does. When the sbk bike arrives it will have moved on again design wise after a year of sales just like the 999 did and the 916 before it and we will all be wanting one. I just have a feeling the engine is going to wipe the floor with competition 'twins' let alone the inline fours. Having owned a ZX10 and a 853sps I know which was easier to ride and potentially faster so add another 40bhp to the duke '160hp' probably a rear wheel 150, up the torque in the mid to high rpm which is where the 'old' twins lost out to the R1's and gixers and we all better hope we are good enough riders to use the thing, It's going to be awesome.....Imagine a 996sps with less weight and nearly 20 more horses wow.....
I won't be buying one though. As alot of us have pointed out, ducati have shot themselves in the foot so many times with their 'exclusive' pricing I would have thought they would have learned by now. Why they can't keep the price to say £10'700 and just charge more for the accessories that everyone will be buying because they want their bike to look and sound like troy's seems like a missed oppertunity to me. And I say all this impartially as I now own a BMW K1200R. Which is really my point, ride it first stare at it later, it will grow on you, and be happy it doesn't look like a teapot and go like a mobility buggy : )

Last edited by flyingbanana : 16-Nov-2006 at 18:46.
Old 16-Nov-2006, 18:46
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 749R 2004

Mood: luvin' bein back out on the 'R'
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbanana
yes it looks nothing like a 749r which for me is how the 999 should have looked in the first place

well said that man
Old 17-Nov-2006, 14:25
Bevel Head

To anyone not convinced this bike is a looker,check out;

Ducati.ms website....do a search on 1098.....click on "pics from milano"

If these images don't change opinions......then test riding the " puney underpowered,over weight old hag" wont either!
Old 17-Nov-2006, 15:22
Cucciolo
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse

Mood: Waiting for the revolution!
My god what a large site that is! I see our 900Man is a poster on there aswell...
Old 17-Nov-2006, 15:49
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
I definately prefer the looks of the1098 over the 999, and can't wait to see it in the flesh, and ride one.

Would i swap it for the 996R?...mmmmmmmmmmmmm.........temptation

I think Ducati have done well with this.
Old 17-Nov-2006, 16:18
WSB Hero

Mood: No point in working long hours to die early
Site don't work. Not recognised. Ducati.ms ?????