Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 04-Aug-2013, 10:56
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
Its in yer head Matt, simple. Have a good session of balls out and back to the froont you'll be...too much natural corner speed not to be

I understood the first bit, agree with the second bit, whats the third bit mean?
Old 04-Aug-2013, 11:12
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: 620SS Desmo Due 800SS Minitwin 1000SS Monster 750

Mood: Inquisitive cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spjallen
How much did you raise the rear by and what did you feel?

Theres 12mm of adjustment on the ohlins .. I uncreased the length by about 4mm to try and found it just about right so left it at that

the front forks are at standard height

Puts more weight on the front quickens the steering .. drops into corners a lot easier and the front feels a lot more planted
Old 04-Aug-2013, 11:15
DSC Club Member
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat2hew
as you know, I've got Deans old Maxton shock which is 5mm longer than standard with another 15mm of adjustment, I have tested it on a track day and now have it wound it fully out, this has raised the rear by 28mm at the seat, I have also raised the front by 10mm for more ground clearance.

I find that I now feel much more in touch with the front tyre, I can push more weight onto the front in corners allowing me to keep a higher mid corner speed, beforehand I felt that the front tyre was on the limit of grip and all the weight was sat back on the rear, which pushes you wide mid corner making you throttle off to pull it back in.

that's about where I'm at at the moment.

I'm still not sure why I'm so slow at the moment but I'm hoping that this will have helped.

Thats pretty extreme
Old 04-Aug-2013, 11:20
DSC Club Member
Mille

Quote:
I understood the first bit, agree with the second bit, whats the third bit mean?

One too many shandies?
Old 04-Aug-2013, 11:46
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

in my honest opinion though, I've been about bikes for over 20 years, probably the first 15 of those I didn't know my arse from elbow. But the things I've learned since I started racing... what I never learned was how to be fast... I always was.

for years I'd been watching people paying suspension 'experts' money to click a few nobs and turn a few screws and thought it was a load bollox. until one day a friend wasted his money and said it was so good he'd pay for the bloke to look at my fireblade, it was amazing, I couldn't believe how much better it was.

the first couple of rounds this year I thought it was me, not pushing, being careful and being out of practice. I have drawn on my years of experience and decided that a lot of my lost speed is my new bike a bit this year is not set up properly, maybe the bike makes more difference than I previously believed.
Old 04-Aug-2013, 12:49
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Not as experienced at racing, but it made a world of difference to me. To the point of I started taking liberties a little, and a couple of visits to the med centre, but all driven by confidence in the bike working so well under me.

SS very different to a monster chassis too imo having ridden both
Old 04-Aug-2013, 15:20
DSC Club Member
Mille

Spent my first couple of years on stock suspension .. all it did was wreck my confidence in the front end .. the standard ss springs are awful and every time i started to push a bit i ended up on my arse.

That said i've raced with guys who can seemingly jump on any old pile and still go fast.

The one thing i can say for certain tho is that there's not that big a difference between the front riders and mid pack in DD .. I was running at the pointy end at oulton (3rd) and donny (4th) after the crash at cadwell on the sat i only buttoned it off a little bit for the races on the sunday but was fighting for 16th
Old 04-Aug-2013, 15:28
DSC Club Member
Mille

Quote:
I have drawn on and decided that a lot of my lost speed is my new bike a bit this year is not set up properly, maybe the bike makes more difference than I previously believed.

If you believe it .. it's true

*legs crossed sitting in a room of candles*
Old 04-Aug-2013, 19:48
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
as you know, I've got Deans old Maxton shock which is 5mm longer than standard with another 15mm of adjustment, I have tested it on a track day and now have it wound it fully out, this has raised the rear by 28mm at the seat, I have also raised the front by 10mm for more ground clearance.

Like I said to you in the Cadwell collecting area your bike was to low at the back

Standard shock length for Deans bike was 330mm so 5mm longer takes it up to the length of a SSie shock at 335mm. Adding 15mm to take it to 350mm makes it the same length as Dallas use to run his Nitron at in his 600SS Class B bike that then became his 620 Class A bike

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 06-Aug-2013, 12:13
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Like I said to you in the Cadwell collecting area your bike was to low at the back

Standard shock length for Deans bike was 330mm so 5mm longer takes it up to the length of a SSie shock at 335mm. Adding 15mm to take it to 350mm makes it the same length as Dallas use to run his Nitron at in his 600SS Class B bike that then became his 620 Class A bike

interesting.... obviously you can go too far, but does anyone know what happens when you do?