Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 15-Jan-2009, 12:42
500SD

New DD Class B Rule

Should DD bring in a new rule that allows any DD Class B competitor to buy any other DD Class B competitor's bike for a sum agreed by the club, e.g £1000?

Discuss ;-)
Old 15-Jan-2009, 12:56
Ducati Dealer

how would this work though if i was to compete in one or 2 races then that would make me eligable to buy a bike

im sure people could throw a bike together for a few hundred pounds and ride round in last place if u were only interested in getting a good replacement
Old 15-Jan-2009, 13:02
Big Twin
Bikes: KTM Arsey Ocho

Mood: retiring
I theory this technique works in many race series to limit costs and modifications. I think that it wouldn't work here because the series has evolved to far and it is impossible to find an agreement of the level to set the purchase price.
Old 15-Jan-2009, 13:45
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak47
I theory this technique works in many race series to limit costs and modifications. I think that it wouldn't work here because the series has evolved to far and it is impossible to find an agreement of the level to set the purchase price.

He speaketh the truth. It's a great rule but has to be introduced at the beginning of the series, and had we done that we'd never have filled a grid as no one would've been able to find a bike for that sort of money. It also restricts innovation, a desire to present the bike to reasonable standard (not an area I have ever focussed on....) and spend on those items that help safety (suspension and brake servicing, etc).

Good rule for a rat-bike series but a not possible to apply it retrospectively.

Le 2p de moi.
Old 15-Jan-2009, 14:05
500SD

You make fair points, I think.

Ali B - the amount I quoted was just a for instance. A level could be set for the mimum standard of bike in terms of equipment (both safety and performance) and the cost calculated appropriately. Also, bikes must be maintained and would be inspected regularly by the club techie and don't forget that the NE scrutineers also check bikes. In terms of innovation, I see why you would mention this and for some people this is a big thing but the spirit of Class B especially was/is meant to be cheap not innovative.

Things could be done to standardise things - e.g sole suppliers for fairing, rearsets, clipons etc this could also make it cheaper (GSXR cup is an example where stabndard parts from a sole supplier are used - if I am correct).

I do accept that to 'standardise' is probably the last thing some people would want but I think most people wouldf agree that these are a 'simple' machine so how much of a reversal would such a rule really represent?

Playing devil's advocate.....:-)
Old 15-Jan-2009, 14:38
GTL

Mood: Faster!!!
[quote=ali]He speaketh the truth. It also restricts innovation, a desire to present the bike to reasonable standard (not an area I have ever focussed on....) [quote]

......Now THAT made me laugh AND fall on the floor!

most excellent!

....er but seriously. Why? Is there really really really a problem with our series? Really?
Old 15-Jan-2009, 15:04
Big Twin
Bikes: KTM Arsey Ocho

Mood: retiring
just coz you shelled out!!! eh mista
Old 15-Jan-2009, 15:06
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbers45
....er but seriously. Why? Is there really really really a problem with our series? Really?

The problem may be that there is only ever one winner and the rest are losers.

Years of nanny state has made that unacceptable.

Loser #68

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 15-Jan-2009, 15:23
500SD

[quote=jimbers45][quote=ali]He speaketh the truth. It also restricts innovation, a desire to present the bike to reasonable standard (not an area I have ever focussed on....)
Quote:

......Now THAT made me laugh AND fall on the floor!

most excellent!

I suffered the same reaction...priceless one from Ali....lol

I didn't say there were big problems with the series though. I'm having a 'slow work day' and don't get on the site that often so thought I'd start a thread :-) I'm tempted to change the subject line to: 'Fastfasulli's 'slow work day' thread.....one honk for yea two for nay'

...spose i'd better go find some work now.......
Old 15-Jan-2009, 15:23
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
The key thing to remember is that Class A has never been won by the most expensive bike. To reinforce this point I'd like to field my star witness...... Jimbers!!!

I know Matt's bike was pretty tasty but I strongly believe he would have been on every podium had he been riding a 95,000 mile commuter hack. Same goes for Cobby and Geoff Spencer. The issue really only comes to a head when you have two evenly matched racers battling it out for the top spot like Hawk and Doomski, Tp & Cleggy, etc.