Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.
View Poll Results: Which make of tyre would you choose to race on
Pirelli 25 64.10%
Metzeller 2 5.13%
Bridgestone 5 12.82%
Michelin 5 12.82%
Dunlop 0 0%
Avon 0 0%
Maxxis 2 5.13%
Continental 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-Apr-2009, 16:07
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Current rules mean You don't Have to Have a Generator, Tyre warmers, wets, spare wheels, spare discs, paddock stands, wheel changing tools etc

In fact you could ride your bike to the circuit and race it, Which both Earl and Jed Attack have done in the past.

Intoduce warmers and wets and the above list more or less becomes a necessity, even a van or box trailer becomes a good idea.

Don't get me wrong, I spent 8 years racing in classes using Wets and warmers before DD got off the ground and think its a exspense that DD doesn't need. More so class B than class A especially as Class B attracts regular newcomers to racing with part of the appeal being the costs involved.

And as long as mixed grids are used it would be unwise to run the two classes on different tyre setups.

I'm suprised DD has lasted this long if its in dire need of differnt tyres along with wets and warmers, especially with the choices of other classes out there. Let alone attract riders like Cobby and Geoff Spencer among others

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 22-Apr-2009, 16:51
500SD

I'm suprised DD has lasted this long if its in dire need of differnt tyres along with wets and warmers, especially with the choices of other classes out there. Let alone attract riders like Cobby and Geoff Spencer among others[/quote]

Agree with this - that is the beauty of DD.
Old 22-Apr-2009, 17:37
GTL

Mood: Faster!!!
......and I agree.....I actually have no problem with the tyre we're using because effectively we're all on the same and agree with all the arguments put forward to staying the same.

But if we are going to evolve, if we feel we need to, or our potential subscribers need to, then the easiest and cheapest way IMHO would be diablo's with warmers (if only from a confidence perspective and given we all actually believe warmers dont make seconds difference) and wets (which I rode on my DD bike for the first time on Friday and I really really enjoyed) from a safety point of view.

As to the type of tyre....I've only ever ridden Pirelli....so I am not qualified to respond to the Poll...so I havent!
Old 22-Apr-2009, 20:49
GTL

Mood: 2008 Desmodue Class B champion
[quote=jimbers45]

But if we are going to evolve, if we feel we need to, or our potential subscribers need to, then the easiest and cheapest way IMHO would be diablo's with warmers (if only from a confidence perspective and given we all actually believe warmers dont make seconds difference) and wets (which I rode on my DD bike for the first time on Friday and I really really enjoyed) from a safety point of view.

[quote]

I am finding it difficult to see your side of the arguement for wets and warmers to be honest given that from a safety aspect this series has got to be one of the safest going. It took me a while to get my head round riding on these tyres in the wet but once i did they are unbelievable! I just dont see how you can ask for them on the grounds of safety when in the three wet races i can remember last year i can only think of one faller at assen.
I dont think there are any other series that run wets and warmers that can say that!
Old 22-Apr-2009, 23:00
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
I don't think warmers are a requirement, me personally have used Diablo Corsa and Corsa111 on my 749 road bike for the last 3 sets of rubber doing 25 laps of the ring in a weekend also.

My only bitch is being constrained to H rated, Z rated are available and lots of peeps would prefer to use them, I would for sure, even tho' I've only had one moment with these current tyres, which was a back end step out at clearways.

Like Skids, Brands was a torrential down pour which stopped the race after 6 laps, but I actually enjoyed racing in it. But the rain does level the field, quite a bit.
Old 22-Apr-2009, 23:07
500SD

Ian cobby can ride on any rubber very quick. (watched him race in BOTT etc)
He has the skill to slide the bike around etc, so it's not realistic to
use Ian as a guide. (I don't think he ever was 100% in any dd race

The H rated tyres are fine for me and as Skids said it's about the cost.
Now....... I thought pirelli sponsored the series ??
Using Race tyre prices is usless to compare against a H rated road tyre
which is all it is.
Suppliers are cashing in on them FULL STOP!
Have a look at other H rated road tyre price's

But as normal it will be a pirelli did this and pirelli that response....
It's not pirelli it's the middle man

Sticky stuff just jumped on the band wagon................
Old 22-Apr-2009, 23:10
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Duke
Ian cobby can ride on any rubber very quick. (watched him race in BOTT etc)
He has the skill to slide the bike around etc, so it's not realistic to
use Ian as a guide. (I don't think he ever was 100% in any dd race

The H rated tyres are fine for me and as Skids said it's about the cost.
Now....... I thought pirelli sponsored the series ??
Using Race tyre prices is usless to compare against a H rated road tyre
which is all it is.
Suppliers are cashing in on them FULL STOP!
Have a look at other H rated road tyre price's

But as normal it will be a pirelli did this and pirelli that response....
It's not pirelli it's the middle man

I'd echo all of that Steve, good post.
Old 22-Apr-2009, 23:18
500SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
I'd echo all of that Steve, good post.

Well Thanks Phil

Know doudt it will be shot to bits ...
Old 23-Apr-2009, 00:52
GTL

Mood: Faster!!!
[quote=Matt-T28][quote=jimbers45]

Quote:

I am finding it difficult to see your side of the arguement for wets and warmers to be honest given that from a safety aspect this series has got to be one of the safest going. It took me a while to get my head round riding on these tyres in the wet but once i did they are unbelievable! I just dont see how you can ask for them on the grounds of safety when in the three wet races i can remember last year i can only think of one faller at assen.
I dont think there are any other series that run wets and warmers that can say that!

....and matt I'm actually not advocating ANY change.....I took and take the view that thems the tyres thems the rules, learn to adapt or bugger off and do something else!

BUT what I am saying is that I found running on wets was infinately more confidence inspiring which for a novice is important and the same for warmers.

As Steve says, Cobby et al....and yourself probably included, are quick on our tyre and will be quicker on whatever your put on....and because you are I aspire to be. And thats good!
Old 23-Apr-2009, 00:58
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
at the risk of upsetting some...why should DD get a better deal than any other race series? The way I undertsand it, Pirelli do us more of a favour than we do them. Without them, control tyres would not be possible and DD would probably not still be alive

in terms of cost, £160 is cheap for tyres! What do slicks and wets cost? and what about better rubber? I'm looked at a pair of super corsa and the thick end of over £200

think a reality check is needed; this is club racing at its cheapest form