Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 06-Nov-2006, 22:12
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Great day today at Donny

Me the boy Huntley and the effervescent Fordie took a little trip out at Donny today with those top fellas at No Limits.

Twas a great day indeed with Fordie on top form on the Duke, while Phil and I took our Jap girls out for a long awaited thrap around the full GP circuit - and all for the minimal sum of £69!!!

Lady luck was shining too, as the weather was very, very kind, with it being sunny and bright all day. A little fresh for the first session, but we soon discarded the fleeces when the second session was announced.

WJB was on hand to keep us honest and with gallons of tea and tons of bacon rolls on offer from the NL boys, all went swimmingly.

Huntley was riding really well on the R1 and even took a session on WJB's CB5 to bring him back to earth - the boy did good.

With a change of gearing and Fordie's first foray at Donny, he opted for the deep end of the fast group and comfortably held his own. The fella was smooth and consistent all day long and rode some great lines out there.

My blade behaved herself nicely, she's a frightening beast, awesome in the corners and a missile on the straights - just so, so fast. So precise and accurate, so predictable and honest - too fast for me no question.

Front tyre wear was kept to a minimum due to the front wheel spending virtually no time on the deck, and even producing a 140mph wheelie as I hit the crest under the Dunlop bridge - scary, scary stuff. I'd just love to get some really sticky rubber on her, some track fairings and really let her loose.

Thanks to the lads for a great day and the NL boys for a great deal.

Can we go Guadix yet????

Tim
Old 06-Nov-2006, 22:50
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Tim ,Great day indeed. I must admit i was a little awestruck at actualy being at Donnington and riding the GP circuit,some thing I had long to do. The bonus of being out there with you and Phil only added to the event.Most of my track day experiance is being out with fellow Ducati riders but being out there with those big fours with some awsome power at hand was an eye opener. The 1000RR and R1 both very fast machine and in the hands of your pair a delight to see. Certainly dropping a tooth from the front sprocket transformed my 996 and I found the added power user friendly. although I did come close on binning her when I found the front break away on the right hander of Mcleans and that was on lap four so Im not sure what caused it as Im sure the tyres were fairly warm by then and the track was dry, scary moment. Fun watching Phil go out first on WJB's 500 and returning back round after a lap to see the rest of the pack unable to close him down . Can only second what you said about Mark and the No Limit team gave us a top day . Time for bed as Im knacked but well chuffed or as much as an old chuffer can be , Regards 4D
Old 06-Nov-2006, 22:52
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Sounds wicked

I'm glad you guys had a good day, happy birthday present Phill
Old 06-Nov-2006, 23:00
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
sounds nice, very nice.
i took the 996 to donny this year and how scary was it to get out on something with a bit of power! With the dark lines being put down out of coppice and the wheelie under the bridge... ahhh, memories...

Fordie in the fast group? Don't think I'll share the same track with him - I wouldn't want to be shown up by an old bloke!!!
Old 06-Nov-2006, 23:07
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBs996
sounds nice, very nice.
Fordie in the fast group?

No surprise to me, I've followed him for miles on the road and he doesn't seem to brake for corners

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 07-Nov-2006, 00:39
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordie
although I did come close on binning her when I found the front break away on the right hander of Mcleans and that was on lap four so Im not sure what caused it as Im sure the tyres were fairly warm by then and the track was dry, scary moment. Regards 4D

That is familiar Fordie, did the same on a Ron Haslem race school day on a CBR600RR, but it let go completley, front first on the 3rd lap in, found myself going from apex to gravel trap on my back, thankfuly uninjured , & in there leathers & on one of there bikes, so well done for keeping it upright, and having a great day out with Tim, WJB & Co.

Chris
Old 07-Nov-2006, 19:55
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Nice one Tim. Did you ride the blade up or transport her?
Old 07-Nov-2006, 19:57
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Nice one Tim. Did you ride the blade up or transport her?

FFB'd her !!
Old 08-Nov-2006, 10:07
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Donnington is a fantastic track shame its so dear to hire, poor for camping, and has noise issues.

It would be a great track for the DSC trackday.

A nice Birthday treat for you, Lord R, a present from the staff??! I trust your favourite club chair was available for your use at Lunch time with a crisply ironed copy of your daily journal to hand

Ray.
Old 09-Nov-2006, 15:13
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
Yep, great day out, think we got through 200+ bacon rolls as some of you greedy feckers had more than one and both of the catering size kettles were going all day with tea and coffee and still people were asking for biscuits!

Best £69 I’ve not spent in a long time, what a bargain! I know you take a risk on the weather at this time of year, but that was like a summer’s day, albeit the fleece and winter gloves were on for the novice session sighting laps. The track was in fine shape apart from the braking zone into Foggies which was damp early on, particularly bad for me as it’s a favourite overtaking spot as the bigger bikes go past me on the straight, I have to go off line up the inside to out-brake them and it was scary a few times as they were on the dry and I certainly was not. Despite that, I was taking it easy as even with tyre warmers, the tyres were not up to temperature on such cold tarmac. Still had fun though, particularly on the CB5.
Fordie was indeed looking good, best I’ve seen you Pete to be honest, glad you liked Donny mate, maybe get you out on track more often eh?. Fil and Rattler on their Jap IL4’s looked understandably tentative on their shiney road bikes……need some fairings, bobbins and sticky tyres boys so you can ride ‘em like you do your DD bikes.

Funniest bit of the day was convincing Phil to have a go on the CB5…. ‘’I’ll just take it easy’’ he says, but rounding Goddards for the first lap out, Phil was using the rumble strip on the exit and went past head on the tank with ‘The Shed’ screaming with every gear change…oh how we laughed. Phil was first out on track at the start of the session and the bet between Fordie, Rattler and myself on the pit wall was would he still be in the front by the end of the lap….well…end of the session more like, as I don’t think anyone overtook him.

I’m off to Snetterton on Saturday and back to Donny full noise full GP on Monday 20th for only £69 again. Then it’s the long wait until Jerez, Nogaro and Cadwell!!!!!

Ray – how can you say Donny is expensive at £69??? Appreciate you’re talking about the summer and you’re right, it’s a lot, but it is a full MotoGP circuit and there is no noise problem at Donny – just come on No Limits days….we don’t do the 98db days, only full noise (except for one evening we did this year). Roll on the 20th.

WeeJohnyB