Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 21-Feb-2011, 22:52
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Brands ACU Test day with Hottrax 20th Feb 2011

Brands ACU Test day with Hottrax 20th Feb 2011

As well as getting out on my DD bike yesterday for the first time in a few months, I also got to try out My Class B bike after first giving it a £20 run on the Enforcement Dyno and then giving it its first ever track outing. Using rather old Diablos.

Wasn't quite sure what to expect as its so different from my DD race bike which is not only a 6-Speed 620 housed in a early SS chassis, it also has mods to the suspension and twin front calipers, neither of which the 583 has.

Still that initial test session wasn't to bad, first changes I need to make is reposition the gear change and also lift the bike up the forks a bit.

The lack of a fairing was interesting in that it felt odd not having anything in front of me so to speak. I didn't really need a Tacho to ride it on track but the Dyno guys could have done with it as Max Power was measured at 3750rpm, maybe they need to double that. Not only was the bike void of a Tacho but also their ignition pickup for the Dyno was broken.

The engine is completely untouched and although carbs have a dyno-jet kit fitted its running standard air-box lid and standard paper filter. Exhaust is standard down-pipes with Hi-level Sils.

Max BHP in 4th Gear Roll on was 44.9hp (SAE) with 76.7 lb/ft of torque, almost as much torque as the ZX10R that had just been on there.
May have to have a play with the cam timing at some point and see if I can move the power around, bumping up the horsepower and reducing the torque.

As always with these projects there’s a bit of development work needed, I’m still unsure of the single disc set-up although the OEM P4 Caliper worked well enough with the Aprilia RS125 front disc and the Monster S2R master-cylinder, but the conditions were hardly ideal for pushing any brake system to its maximum.

Also got chatting with a Mini Twin rider, he was saying how he has to pay around £300 for a set of tyres if he wants to be able to compete with the guys at the front and after he was told what we paid he was wishing they had a control tyre rule.

Front £120
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pirelli-120-70...em3a636 1c321

Rear £160
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pirelli-Diablo...em3a636 173d2

Felt really sorry for the lad I was sharing a garage with (No not you Ron) He had dropped his 748 off at Brands on Friday evening hoping to make the Bemsee test day on the Saturday as that’s who he races with. But due to work he couldn’t make Saturday so turned up Sunday and signed on for the Hottrax test day.
Despite being on a 748 and having full wets he was wishing he were out in the Green group alongside us DD riders. Sadly he and his bike returned from the first session in the back of the recovery trailer and that was it game over for the day, as he didn’t have enough spares to repair all the damage. I asked if the conditions had caught him out and he replied his crash was down to another rider.

Ells didn’t have much more luck either, finding his early modified to a larger spindle front wheel was a few mm off centre, Neal Catling offered up my later front wheel and found that also to be off centre and despite Chris Bushell heading back home and machining a couple of mm off the speedo replacement spacer and cleaning up the damaged spindle head Mark still wasn’t happy enough with it to venture out on track.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	Ad1001.jpg Views:	258 Size:	122.0 KB ID:	12322  Click image for larger version Name:	Ad1002.jpg Views:	268 Size:	85.9 KB ID:	12323  Click image for larger version Name:	Ad1003.jpg Views:	255 Size:	81.0 KB ID:	12324  Click image for larger version Name:	Ad1005.jpg Views:	255 Size:	113.7 KB ID:	12325  

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 21-Feb-2011, 23:11
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
I think there must be something wrong with the dyno Kev, as no way can a 583 give 76ft/lb

Just looked at mine from last year at JHP mine is 34ft/lb and my 749 is/was 55ft/lb
Old 21-Feb-2011, 23:14
MotoGP God

Not sure how its calculating the torque Phil but if its using the Revs which are a factor of 2 out then halving the torque figure will put it in the right Ball park

Old 21-Feb-2011, 23:23
500SD
Bikes: Class A 620ssie #71 - 853 R/RS Dry - 748sp Wet

Mood: Green with envy
Thumbs up

The class b bike looks good skids, very swoopy and curvy with that nose piece.

your torque does seem a bit optimistic.

Lets hope it was a training day for the operator and they get there act together before we get our (read mine) top 3 bikes on it at brands
Old 21-Feb-2011, 23:35
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
what I cant understand is why every other monster, even with the same seat unit, looks higher at the rear than mine?!

would be interested Kev in anything you do to mod the pegs to go back further, as discused yesterday I'd like to try them further back
Old 22-Feb-2011, 00:03
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Not sure how its calculating the torque Phil but if its using the Revs which are a factor of 2 out then halving the torque figure will put it in the right Ball park

Mmm that would make more sense.
Old 22-Feb-2011, 00:13
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Early DD testing - takes me back to the day.......

And you need to get the dremel to those Endurance seat units

......"during the war"......
Old 22-Feb-2011, 04:23
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
what I cant understand is why every other monster, even with the same seat unit, looks higher at the rear than mine?!

would be interested Kev in anything you do to mod the pegs to go back further, as discused yesterday I'd like to try them further back

Paul I think you will find my pegs are futher back than yours, if I fit a reverse pattern lever the gear change toe peg ends up in the same place as the 916 one currently on it.
I could get more adjustment by fitting set of adjustable 916 pegs, the sort where the footrest is on a cam and the plates have a couple of different mounting holes.

Tim I know what you mean about the Dremel after seeing the seat that came with Dallas's bike that he bought off Jimbers

Old 22-Feb-2011, 11:47
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler
Early DD testing - takes me back to the day.......

And you need to get the dremel to those Endurance seat units

......"during the war"......

She didn't stay that pretty for long if my memory serves me
Old 22-Feb-2011, 19:18
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Sadly, they rarely do