Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 13-May-2009, 20:46
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
Anglesey report...

well, I am finally home so writing a quick report of my weekend

First and foremost I want to thank everyone for all their support, well wishes, gifts and encouragement over the past few days. The biggest thanks by far go to Bongo and Ryan for literally picking us up and sorting us out at the weekend and through to today. You guys were just the best and words cannot say how grateful we/I am for your help. Huge thanks to Andy (QFM) for looking after Jon this week, much appreciated mister!

so anyway, won't bore you with the details, but we arived Friday afternoon, got set up and waited for Bongo and Ryan before dinner, Jack Daniels and talking **** perfect evening!!

Saturday and it's cold and grey but the rain is holding out for now so out we go for practice. Holy ****, the wind was so strong that I could barely hang on in places. I was scrubbing tyres initially and then stuck in a bit of traffice before getting a few clear laps but by this time it was so strong I wasn't even using 6th on the straight as the wind was pushing me back. Rocket was terrifying and the gust were just flicking me all over the place. Qualified 8th on grid but not impressed with myself and **** grid position right next to the wall.

Then it rained.. and hailed and snowed and the wind blew!! Couldn't believe it was May and we were supposed to be racing!! It looked like we would be sat in the van until the rain stopped and the track started to dry off. First race and Bongo is telling me it's gonna be dry out there!! I am not convinced but can't avoid going out so set off for the grid only to see a huge puddle in front of me right at the point I would be hitting the first corner.

Lights go out and for once I actually moved forward off the start...woohoooo!! i dived into the first corner and kept on the gas powering through the melee and trying to make up some places. I get my head down and realise I am doing ok, next thing I am passing and up into 3rd place... yeeehaaa!! I know there is at least 1 Class B rider in front so I am getting very excited and next thing I mess my gears up and when i get on the gas it's on a huge wet patch and the bike steps out at the back and i am feet in the air. I remember saying some swear words in my lid along the lines of "perfectly dry my fecking arse-BONGO!" I lose all drive and Jon and another bike come past and I am angry. I start to pull them back in and I am right up to them when Jon runs off wide. I keep going in case he comes back in and set about making some distance willing the laps away. Finally I finish and come in to see Ryan waiting for me telling me I was 2nd in Class A wooohooo, a pot finally!!

Mucho joy and excitement before getting ready to go out for 2nd race and hoping for a repeat performance. I get an ok start but get shut down at the left hander and have to run it down the inside to the first right hander. I tip in and have to pull it tight only to feel the back end start to go...bugger... down it goes so I am head up cursing my stupidity when BANG! I don't know what has happened but i am face down screaming as I cant move my legs and I have no idea what is going on.

Finally taken to med centre and discover the as I have gone down Jon has had nowhere to go and has unfortunately run over me. He has a broken collarbone and I have broken femur and possible pelvis. I get the lucky straw and go via air helicopter to Bangor where I am prodded, poked and scanned for hours and then sent off to a ward for the night after Jon, Bongo and Ryan come to say goodnight to me.

Next day and I have 3.5 hour op to pin femur and then get great (NOT) NHS treatment on the ward Bongo and Ryan pack the van up and look after Jon (you don't want to know the details - trust me!!!)

Couple of days in hospital where I am pushing myself to do as much as I can so I am allowed home. Ryan has been to see me and then came to collect me today - what a star!! Jon is now having collarbone op next week so we are all sat at home like a couple of muppets!!

So, all in all a bit of an odd one tbh, my first pot and quite a nasty mishap resulting in both of us being incapacitated. I am gutted I fell off and gutted Jon had nowhere to go but over me, but that's racing for you

We have realised we have some of the best friends you could ever ask for and we really really appreciate everything that has been done for us. Gonna be out for a while now until things get a bit more sorted but I am sure we will be back in some shape or form and some point in the future.

Thanks everyone

a couple of pictures courtesy of Craig Fisher showing how quickly it can go pear shaped!!

Old 13-May-2009, 20:57
GTL

Mood: 2008 Desmodue Class B champion
Saw the live version from a distance and couldn't really work out what had happened but seeing those pics has made me feel a bit .

Glad your gonna be ok Lily as seeing you laid there not moving wasn't very nice.

GWS
Old 13-May-2009, 21:02
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Glad to hear you are home, it's always nice to get back especially when you have tasted NCS hospitality. Wish you and Jon a speedy recovery. Take it easy gal and let it heal in it's own time.
Old 13-May-2009, 21:14
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-T28
Saw the live version from a distance and couldn't really work out what had happened but seeing those pics has made me feel a bit .

Glad your gonna be ok Lily as seeing you laid there not moving wasn't very nice.

GWS

Ouch, was standing next to Matt when it happened

Chris
Old 13-May-2009, 21:51
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Just replied on the other side, but the pics on this site stand out more, pic 3 Fkin hell, what must have gone through Jons' mind at that point, it is very lucky that your left shoulder wasn't injured also.

Hope all goes well Claire and Jon.
Old 13-May-2009, 22:16
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
GWS the pair of you.

Paul & Kirsty

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 13-May-2009, 22:17
Mille
Bikes: Super Twin 800; DD B; S2R 1000

Mood: DD class B
What moments! It could have been much worse.
I have been very upset because your accident and I could not stop
thinking about the possibility to crash during Sun races, running
5 seconds/lap slower that in previous TD.
Makes me feel doubt about my will to continue as it does not
make sense racing with fear of crashing.
Lets see...In any case I will be continuing to follow the heroes of DD,
showing the insanity of Dyonisus and the reason of Apollo.
All the best.
Old 13-May-2009, 22:23
DesmoDue Riders Rep
Bevel Head

Mood: happy
GWS both off you xxxx
Old 13-May-2009, 22:28
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa
What moments! It could have been much worse.
I have been very upset because your accident and I could not stop
thinking about the possibility to crash during Sun races, running
5 seconds/lap slower that in previous TD.
Makes me feel doubt about my will to continue as it does not
make sense racing with fear of crashing.
Lets see...In any case I will be continuing to follow the heroes of DD,
showing the insanity of Dyonisus and the reason of Apollo.
All the best.

Thanks Alex

don't let it worry you though, racing is all about fun and the accidents are rare when you consider the amount of laps we do

we are ok if a little drugged up and we are still able to be happy about the fun of the weekend and the racing. i have been reading BSN in hospital and the first thing we have watched on telly is WSB from the weekend so racing is very much still with us

not sure what happens next for us but we are lucky all things considered so we are still smiling and having fun
Old 13-May-2009, 23:14
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
That's some scary pictures I hope you both heal quickly.