Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 19-Sep-2011, 21:20
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Smile Well I wasn't expecting that to happen.

Well I thought I ought to put digit to plastic and tell of a strange happening. Funny old game this racing lark.

Had a really down emotional week as I had split with my long term partner Jan, who most in the paddock know well. Very stressfull and lots of tears and I'm a big lad but still they came.

On the Friday when everyone was practicing, I drove to Maxtons to collect my shock as Castle Combe showed me it was not doing what it should. I arrived at Oulton mid afternoon and fitted it. Thanks to Trudi allowing me the use of their purchased garage. I asked Kev Senna3 if he would take mine out to see if it was ok, (can only do that with real mates). He only did 2 laps when the rain started. But he said it was good enough for 10th on the grid.

Sat qually was mildly moist on track, no untimed practice allowed. I qualified 7th, putting me on the 3rd row. Not too bothered as mine is quick from the line. Some surprises up front tho'. Big up to Paul Kennedy and Jules Norman, Lee Cooper and Paul Nelson, also Phil the Drill was up there.

Race one kicked off track was mostly dry first corner mele I hate but was about 4th. Then past Paul Nelson on Cascades exit, making me in second place. Ron had done his usual Harry Houdini and was hiding between some class A's. I was having the usual Class A and B battle with Tom Roberts he was pulling me on the straights but was holding me on some corners, not all I must add. I squeezed past him once or twice only for him to nick it back again on the fast straights.

Anyway on lap 4 or 5 just approaching Island bend, Kev Senna blitzed past me. Bugger I thought, he was on row 5 he must be going well, or I'm not going as well as I thought I was. I follwed him through the banked hairpin and the first chicane then outbraked him into the last chicane. Knowing Kev was close I thought I must protect my lines.

Going up clay hill then heading for Druids I saw Ron with some class A bikes, by the time we got to Cascades I had the dribbles for the proverbial carrot as he was close to me then through the hairpin I was on his wheel stayed behind him through the first chicane and past him going into the second chicane. Wow P1. but still work to do. The next lap heading for Lodge I just caught sight of Rons wheel but I had the line.

Ron then past me out of Old Hall, bugger!!. I got on his wheel again through the hairpin and managed the same outbrake to the second chicane. Just holding Ron at bay till the chequered flag. One of the best races I've been part of. But still a long way from Sam West's laptime of 2 years ago.

Race 2. I was now second in the Championship and thought if I can keep Kev Senna at bay, thats a good result as the top 3 would still be the same as when we arrived at Oulton, just a different order.

Twenty minutes before our race a Bangladeshi monsoon dropped on Cheshire, it kin P**'d down. But race time it had almost stopped, but the track was very wet to flooded in parts. I'm not the most confident in the wet, I was holding second behind Ron, he was lapping some 4 to 5 seconds faster than me and just pulling away. So I had resigned myself for second place. Then on lap 4 as I rounded Island bend i saw this new shiney aluminium gouge line in the tarmac with Mr Jolley in the bunker, it was some 80 yards before the hairpin.

Now I had been having a couple of twitches from the back end, especially in the banked hairpin. So knowing I was now leading and just hoping for the double win, I elected to traverse most corners one gear higher so as not to spook myself and throw it all away. I was aware of the noise of another bike close by, but I don't look around anymore. Then on the last lap I saw the familiar number 3 bike of Kev Senna parked at Druids, I was still being almost too careful on the corners, but squirting away from them hard. Which is just as well for as I took the chequered flag, Jules Norman was 0.133 from me. I was told his front wheel was level with my leg.

If Jules had pipped me Ron would have taken the title by one point.

It has been a tremendous year for a lot of folk, we have all upped our game, Dave Jenkins, I need a word with his doctor to get some of those quick pills. Bradders, totally amazing corner speed. I have to thank my brother Rod and his son Dean for supporting me throughout. All the DD paddock are just genuine people from the crew to the supporters to the riders. I'm 80% sure I'll venture to the dark side, where I can keep Kev Senna company, I'll be his monkey.

So at 58 years and 7 months I have to say, anything is possible. But I'm also aware that it was because of Rons off that allowed it to happen.

Well done all and hope to see you all again soon.
Old 19-Sep-2011, 21:43
500SD

Mood: ready to race
Nice one phill good write up and a well deserved win you rode like a champ and now you are looking foward to doing battle with you next year started on next years bike yesterday ,6months seems ages away bored all ready
Old 19-Sep-2011, 21:52
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna3
Nice one phill good write up and a well deserved win you rode like a champ and now you are looking foward to doing battle with you next year started on next years bike yesterday ,6months seems ages away bored all ready

I'm looking for one at the mo not seen anything yet tho'.
Old 19-Sep-2011, 22:14
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 1098R Bayliss Rep

Mood: Find people who share your values, and you'll conquer the world together.
Sorry to hear about you and Jan M8, i did know before Oulton but chose not to mention it, although i could not see you from where i was on the track there is nothing worse than coming over the line and not knowing who had done what, fortunatly my pit crew Chris and Cathy were on hand to fill me in on what they saw from pit wall, congratulations m8 from all accounts and your write up two great races despite the conditions of race two. Looking forward to seeing you in the paddock next year knowing that your moving up to class A along with a few others gives me hope of a better outcome for class B next year, most of this year i have been fending off Phill the Drill i will need to watch out for him next year though, still my 9th over all in class B was enough for me, at the start of the season i told myself i would be happy in the top 10.

Next year i am aiming for top 5

Paul
Old 19-Sep-2011, 22:17
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Nice write up Phil, class "A" for you next season then

Chris
Old 19-Sep-2011, 22:24
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
hey old fella - you had me, badger, Dean's missus (sorry forgot your name [embarrassed] ) and badgers mate Chris jumping up and down and whooping for the last couple of laps!!

amazing----totally amazing----what do you mean you're only 58

can't wait for next year; see if you can do the double!!

although 1 or 2 may be trying to stop you
Old 19-Sep-2011, 22:41
Big Twin

[quote=bradders]hey old fella - you had me, badger, Dean's missus (sorry forgot your name [embarrassed] ) and badgers mate Chris jumping up and down and whooping for the last couple of laps!!

amazing----totally amazing----what do you mean you're only 58

can't wait for next year; see if you can do the double!!

Lol Paul. It would be a step too far, Angry and Awsome and Dallas have incredible pace and have a season or more under their belts. As long as I have as much fun as I've had and don't get beat by a class B I'll be happy. Its a whole new learning curve. Just got to find the right bits and pieces now to make it happen.

I've just looked at the final standings, Alan Parkes has been Mr consistent with having to drop only a 6th place. Seems a long time to those beers in January.
Old 19-Sep-2011, 22:48
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
get em framed and on the wall, even if its only in the garage

and don't do your chances down; you've done something 99.99% of people worldwide will never achieve and just like winning races, the second is easier than the first I'm sure

now sell your engine to the Dentist so he can have every advantage to win next year
Old 19-Sep-2011, 22:58
Big Twin

Hey I'm on the Home page, but they got the wrong circuit listed.
Old 19-Sep-2011, 23:30
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
Hey I'm on the Home page, but they got the wrong circuit listed.

*ahem*

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!