Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 08-Jun-2012, 14:49
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bally71
put wets on and you can still get knee down and the confidence and feel is great.

I've got my knee down in the wet on the old Pirelli Diablos in a DD race, so this isn't the issue.

I think it's very clear that wet tyres will create more problems than they solve and are not, and have never been, in the spirit of what DD was created for.

Those are the rules for DD, and if you wish to race on wets there are plenty of other series which will happily take you.

/blunt

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 08-Jun-2012, 14:49
500SD
Bikes: Class A 620ssie #71 - 853 R/RS Dry - 748sp Wet

Mood: Green with envy
Rules is rules............if you dont have wets in the rules you cant use them. Makes no difference to me, when its wets my arse clamps up and I ride like a pussy, or fall off. I dont think the cost thing comes into it really, have you seen the number of spare wheels with new sets of tyres on in the DD paddock? A weekends wet racing could save some people 3-400quid by not using multiple sets off new tyres thougout the weekend.....Gennies not really an issue too, plent of people have them as well plenty of people booking onto garages.

For me, wets would be fun. BUT i am also happy enough with the rules as they are.

PS, my 620 now running...............
Old 08-Jun-2012, 15:08
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

The other point to remember is that the rules reflect the wishes of majority of the paddock and not just a few individuals. If the paddock votes for wets, warmers, grid girls, naked riding, etc, then we would implement that as the rules.

As far as I am aware, there has never been a majority vote for wets in the paddock.

Some of the points here are worth noting - just having wets doesn't suddenly stop you falling off: the reason you fell off is because you didn't ride within the limits of the tyres you have, and wets have limits too! It may also increase the gap between the front and the back of the grid, so maybe having road tyres as a handicap is better for the racing? And statistics show that DD riders fall off just as much, if not more, in the dry than they do in the wet...

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 08-Jun-2012, 15:13
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: 620SS Desmo Due 800SS Minitwin 1000SS Monster 750

Mood: Inquisitive cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonye
Those are the rules for DD, and if you wish to race on wets there are plenty of other series which will happily take you.

Happy to play by the rules .. doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on them.

Not racing because it rains isn't really an option .. Not unless the club are happy to refund the entry fee

No need for gennys .. Spare wheels cheap as chips and I can't see what problems it would bring.

Only use them when a race declared wet

Dunlop make them so could be supplied by the same tyre guy.

This argument obviously raises it's head on a regular basis .. maybe there's a good reason
Old 08-Jun-2012, 15:19
DSC Club Member
Mille

Quote:
The other point to remember is that the rules reflect the wishes of majority of the paddock and not just a few individuals. If the paddock votes for wets, warmers, grid girls, naked riding, etc, then we would implement that as the rules.

As far as I am aware, there has never been a majority vote for wets in the paddock.

Some of the points here are worth noting - just having wets doesn't suddenly stop you falling off: the reason you fell off is because you didn't ride within the limits of the tyres you have, and wets have limits too! It may also increase the gap between the front and the back of the grid, so maybe having road tyres as a handicap is better for the racing? And statistics show that DD riders fall off just as much, if not more, in the dry than they do in the wet...

Do we get to vote do we?

They may not stop you falling off but 20 secs a lap says they're more fun.
Old 08-Jun-2012, 15:45
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bally71
This argument obviously raises it's head on a regular basis .. maybe there's a good reason

Yes it does, and usually by people who have yet to race in DD?

Old 08-Jun-2012, 16:05
DSC Club Member
Mille

Quote:
Yes it does, and usually by people who have yet to race in DD?

Not really the point is it ..
Old 08-Jun-2012, 16:11
Mille
Bikes: DD class B, Street Triple, Tiger 1050

You're quiet Dave, are you having a chuckle at the banter you started
Old 08-Jun-2012, 16:48
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Racing in the wet is ok, but its the amount of standing water. If rain is too bad in F1 & Motogp the start is delayed. Those conditions for the last race in my opinion warranted an official to intervene and say lets give it a period of time to ease.

We were stopped after 6 laps at Brands a couple of years ago because of standing water. The river running down from Rocket was the cause of Matts off. Those tyres at racing speed cannot cope with 25mm + of standing water, possibly very few can.

So in summarry its a case of how bad is bad before someone says wait a while.
Old 08-Jun-2012, 17:31
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
So in summarry its a case of how bad is bad before someone says wait a while.

...which is not something that the DSC can call, nor could the riders, as it would be down to the race organiser, and in our case Hottrax.