Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Jul-2005, 17:40
500SD

Mood: Yellow!!
Clutch

I posted awhile back about my clutch slipping, at least it feels like it slips, mainly if you give it slightly too many revs when pulling away it will kind of snatch and creak beneath me??

I have since taken the clutch cover off and cleaned it. Since replacing it, it is no better. Is it likely that I need new clutch plates??

The most annoying thing about it is that when it snatches it can actually cause the engine to stall.
Old 26-Jul-2005, 17:42
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Take the plates out and clean them, along with the pressure plate and regrease the bearing in there.

Then reassemble and give it a try.

Unless you've cleaned the dust out from the plates it will have no effect.
Old 26-Jul-2005, 18:06
500SD

OK thanks, is this something I could attempt myself or is it best left to the Ducati dealer?

How long roughly should the clutch plates last on a Duke? (based on average use) Am I right in thinking they wear quicker than wet clutches?

Thanks again.
Old 26-Jul-2005, 18:28
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: Had 748,749, 848 and now a 1199 Panigale

Mood: Living the dream.
How long have you had the bike mate? A Haynes book comes in hand at these times, because not a lot of people can afford to go to the dealer all the time, ducatis need a lot of attention. Try and get some pitchers up to show us. The Haynes will show you how much should be on each plate.
Old 26-Jul-2005, 18:40
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
If you can take the cover off, you can take the plates out!

I'd recommend a Haynes manual at this point (order from Amazon if you must) as that has the complete guide to taking the plates out and putting them back in again.

As for checking, again the Haynes manual will give specifics (plate thickness / pack thickness) but as long as there is some meat on the fibre plates left then they should be fine!

It's not a difficult job - once the cover is off it's only 6 bolts to remove the springs and caps, then the plates come out. Clean them up (a tin of clutch/brake cleaner here is good, but a dry rag is fine) and then get all the dust out of the basket and the pressure plate too. You may want to regrease the bearing on the pressure plate as well - all that dry dust tends to knacker it. Then reassemble and you're done.

[Edited on 26-7-2005 by antonye]
Old 26-Jul-2005, 19:06
500SD

Thanks guys, I will order a haynes manual anyway but I was a bit concerned about what would happen if I loosened the bolts holding the springs.

I wasn't sure how much pressure there is applied to them and how difficult it is to get them back on again, hence I didn't venture any deeper than the cover.
Old 26-Jul-2005, 19:12
500SD

My ducati dealer appears to be a bit pap anyway so I'm not so keen on relying on them for anything.

They tend to not answer questions properly or follow things up I always end up having to chase them and I allow them plenty of time to get back to me.

I would love to be able to completely manage and look after my bike myself but my only concern would be what tools I might need for the jobs and how much you can realistically look after.

I'm currently awaiting my dealer to get back to me as to whether the belts were done on the last service they had it in at 6500 miles. 2 days and they still haven't called me back to confirm and I have since called and surprise the person is busy and I am awaiting his call.
Old 26-Jul-2005, 19:32
Ducati Corse

Nothing happens when you undo the springs, the caps just fall off!
The snatchy clutch that doesnt repspond to cleaning could well mean that the tangs on the plates have mullered the fingers on the basket causing the plates to catch. You can dress the fingers with a file or replace it if your flush. Go for an STM48 tooth one from Nelly.

My clutch has been on its last legs for a while now. Every six months or so i take all the plates out and rub the steel ones with fine emery paper then spray the whole lot with brake cleaner. Its done 5 trackdays now with no trouble.
Old 26-Jul-2005, 22:15
Mille

Mood: dooM
I have the same problem with my 748 and found swapping the friction plates around helped. Try this link for info and piccys:

http://www.sportbikes.com/wwwthreads...fpart=all&vc=1
Old 27-Jul-2005, 00:23
500SD

Thanks for the link, certainly helps make things easier.

Does anyone use any special tools for the job as described?

PS: I've ordered a Haynes Manual