Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 25-Sep-2006, 13:07
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by paynep
I was just about to agree with Dom's concerns over having the DSC rather than just the DD riders voting on DD matters when I remembered -

DD was intended as a series for DSC members to experience racing, NOT as a one-make series where the riders made the racing decisions themselves, while benefitting from someone else sorting out tyres, sponsorship, entry criteria etc

That said, the DD doesn’t always seem to have enjoyed the fullest support of some sections of the DSC membership or officaldom.......

I tend to support the view that sorting out the rules,venues,formats, grids etc should be done by representatives of the DSC before the start of the season and then a single person act as liasion with the race organiser (NE or whoever) and back into the riders and the DSC.

Then it is down to individuals to decide if they want to race under the rules and conditions available at the start of the year and join or not join the series accordingly.

There may well be minor changes to the odd round and while it can be a pain, it happens in pretty much all forms of competitive sport, motor or otherwise.

So to sum up, the people who have done the majority of the hardwork in the setting up of the series thus far are arguably the best people to take us into 2007, but perhaps a different personality is required for initially dealing with any issues arising during the season?

Vote Chris Wood !!!

I agree.
There is a lot involved in pinning down the details that should now be pretty much sorted - thanks from me to ALL involved for that work.
I was just trying to think out how to say we should think back to the reason it all started, and try and keep it simple, with no poncing around once the season has started.
Vote Chris Wood.
Old 25-Sep-2006, 13:12
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by paynep
[color=black]
Vote Chris Wood !!!

But he's a bloody Aussie!! - they'll be taking our jobs next!!!
Old 25-Sep-2006, 13:23
Ducati Meccanica

Seems to me like a co-ordinated effort from all sides is required to put this back on track.

There are so many opinions, he said, they said, he did, they did or didn't !

There are many issues, some should be considered, some should be moved on from.

The end result of all this arguing will only serve to alienate the membership further, put off riders from joining and ultiamtely see the series or a derivitive of possibly being taken an advantage of by another club.

There are and have been serious issues raised this year - last year was teething issues, this year have been ones that should NEVER have happened - but they did. So now is the time to make sure they don't happen again and everyone puts the effort in to secure 2007.

Hindsight !!

Personally I think a meeting at Cadwell is a good idea - however please leave your handbags hanging on the handlebars and lets try and make the series something EVERYONE involved with can be proud of.
Old 25-Sep-2006, 13:29
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Did we not all say the same things 12 months ago?
Old 25-Sep-2006, 13:29
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix n max

There are and have been serious issues raised this year - last year was teething issues, this year have been ones that should NEVER have happened - but they did.

im interested to understand what these serious issue's are.?......

dont answer if its gonna go all " defcon 1 "....lol
Old 25-Sep-2006, 13:34
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler

I resigned from the rider's rep role because I felt that personal agendas were directly driving the actions of those in positions of responsibility and I felt that these positions were being abused for personal gain.

It now seems that recent developments from outside of the RC are also being driven by personal agendas and politics.

Tim

These kinds of issues Phil.
Old 25-Sep-2006, 13:35
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix n max
These kinds of issues Phil.

i agree 100%.........................

i cant do smileys will this do ;-)
Old 25-Sep-2006, 13:41
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by domski
Did we not all say the same things 12 months ago?

If i recall correctly there were similar manouverings going on then.

I fail to see the logic.

It should be something everyone is proud of - riders, representatives and club members, instead it's a joke.

Everyone has made an effort in some way, spent cash, time and added their commitment at a level they saw fit.

Some used it as a means to get something, though i fail to see what, out of it. Majority enjoyed it, were passionate about it, and hopefully still are.

I've no wish to blame anyone specific here - but folks wake up huh - see whats happening here - Do you want this to happen again next year ?
Old 25-Sep-2006, 14:20
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
What an excellent thread.

As a member of the MT who does not have any 'official' involvement with DD, it's very heartening to see the support that exists for the DSC continuing to run the series and some recognition for the hard work that has been put in to get the series to where it is today.

I know that some mistakes have been made, some of them thumping great big ones, but that just goes to show that human beings with all their faults are involved.

From my point of view running the DD series splits into several areas that all require attention and some improvement. Just as in any business there is the day to day operational management (ie: the nitty gritty of organising the events and schedules, communicating the same to riders and remembering the damned trophies to name but a few tasks) this role should be to ensure that all riders have to worry about is turning up and racing - I used to compete in international rallies and I know theres enough for a competitor to do without having to worry about what the event arrangements are. The way I see it, whoever does this role (whether it's the RC or an individual) and the riders themselves have absolutely the right to have the most involvement in this aspect. Same goes for sponsors.

I'm speaking for myself here not as an MT representative, but I think that DD should be one of the flagship activities of the club and it is important enough (in my view) to have a dedicated MT 'role' devoted to the running of DD. It would not be fair to dump that volume of work on one individual, so I would also like to see a structure of volunteers who would assist the MT role but not necessarily have any say in how the series was run.

So the MT role would do all of the operational management, liaising with New Era, Riders and Sponsors (making sure that the sponsors relationship with the DSC was equitable). maybe they wouldn't do all that themselves but they would be accountable to all of the above for the successful day to day operation.

In the same way, that MT member also needs to be accountable to the MT and MOST IMPORTANTLY to the membership of the club. On an operational basis that needs to be the case so that any money spent on DD (which of course belongs to all the members) can be justified and spent with required approval.

As far as the membership of the DSC is concerned I think that it IS a DSC series and therefore EVERY member should be entitled to a view of what DD is all about and how their money is spent in it's support.

I'm not advocating that we run a poll for every member on every decision, that would plainly be ridiculous, that's why I'm suggesting that the full time MT member should be elected for that purpose and given the mandate to make 'day-to-day' operational decision by the membership.

What I am suggesting is that the full membership should have a mechanism by which their suggestions and voice about the strategic direction of DD can be heard and considered. That is all I've ever advocated. Some type of suggestion box, if you will, that can be periodically considered by a DD comittee (chaired by the DD MT member) so that everyones input can be fairly evaluated, decisions made and the results of those decisions communicated.

I don't know precisely how this would work but I believe that if this governance structure was put in place it would give the members a chance to voice their ideas about whether the strategic direction of DD was in line with the aims and values of running the club in the first place. Clearly, DD as it now stands is consistent with those aims (as spelled out in the club constitution) but we do need some form of governance structure that ensures that DD remains consistent with those aims. For example, if we turned round and said "OK, this years DD effort is to spend the clubs entire reserve on doing all the GP circuits in the world" that would be stupid and I believe it IS the whole mebership who need to apply a sanity check to the strategic thinking behind DD.

If we do this with the right mechanisms and in a clear, open and honest way I believe that we can give the riders and sponsors the respect they deserve for their financial and time commitment and ensure that the members have their say as well. What members don't want to see IMHO is the riders electing themselves as some type of elite echelon of the DSC and cutting them out of the decision making loop

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 25-Sep-2006, 14:22
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Wow, I never knew that... you can press the space bar to page down the thread!
Every day's a school day!