Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 07-May-2011, 10:01
500SD
Bikes: Class A 620ssie #71 - 853 R/RS Dry - 748sp Wet

Mood: Green with envy
.............but cheaper than wives
Old 07-May-2011, 10:12
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBushell
Now the 696 would make a very good basis for a new part of the series - how much can you pick one up for now?

Chris
A quick look on Biketrader throws up a few 2008 bikes for over £4.5k... So I'm sure you can pick them up for £4k.

The reason I won't go to A is because I don't see it as a big enough step from B. The bikes are not much newer and the power isn't a lot more (sure, they are better than B, but just not enough for my liking. I mentioned at the end of last year that I would almost definitely move to A (or whatever it was called) if we could go with a newer model.

As for forcing people out of B, maybe limit to 2-3 years for anyone finishing in the top 3-5 places. Time related for everyone wouldnt work because if someone isn't comfortable/fast in B, why would they want to move up?
Old 07-May-2011, 11:38
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
If you have power to weight rules a 696 could well be the bike of choice for the more affluent but would leave other options for the techys amongst us & not make the present bikes obsolete
Old 07-May-2011, 11:54
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolley
A quick look on Biketrader throws up a few 2008 bikes for over £4.5k... So I'm sure you can pick them up for £4k.

The reason I won't go to A is because I don't see it as a big enough step from B. The bikes are not much newer and the power isn't a lot more (sure, they are better than B, but just not enough for my liking. I mentioned at the end of last year that I would almost definitely move to A (or whatever it was called) if we could go with a newer model.

As for forcing people out of B, maybe limit to 2-3 years for anyone finishing in the top 3-5 places. Time related for everyone wouldnt work because if someone isn't comfortable/fast in B, why would they want to move up?

you better keep that 848 then

out of interest, of the novices that came in to DD not having raced before (or hardly) how many have gone on to race elsewhere? I can think of rattler, sam west, dom clegg

if not many do and the rules restrict them in B will they just stop racing?

I like power to weight idea - a nice 800 in mine to keep up with the likes of 6 stone Craig
Old 07-May-2011, 12:28
500SD

So many good ideas, I dont think people join class B as a step on the racing ladder to greater things. People join DD and particulrly class B as it has a nice friendly feel to the paddock.

I think people are quite happy racing ib B year after year and would only move to class A if that had the same friendly and cheap feel to it. I have considered going to A to help me with my power to weight problem. Lets facing I would guess my bike is having to pull 3 or four stone in weight over most people around me.

696 would be a good idea but at £4K before any modifications it is too much for me. If there were £3K race prepped 696s then that would work.

Power to weight ration that included current A class bikes would allow those bikes to carry on and allow people to modify their B classes to be eligible??

Mark
Old 07-May-2011, 12:51
Big Twin

£4.5k is for a cherished road bike... I'm sure you could find a scrappy one that had been dropped for half that... Let's face it, it might get dropped again! If this is seriously a possibility, it would be nice to sort it out now so that I can sort out my bike in plenty of time. I don't want a New Year rush job.

Power to weight could get messy if you ask me. I'd rather keep it as a sort of one make thing to keep it simple for the less techy newbies, and to keep checking eligibility as straight forward as possible.
Old 07-May-2011, 14:49
500SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolley
Power to weight could get messy if you ask me. I'd rather keep it as a sort of one make thing to keep it simple for the less techy newbies, and to keep checking eligibility as straight forward as possible.

As a novice surely power to weight would also be the easiest to enforce. Requires a set of scales and dyno!

A good way of dicussing this would be at one of the two day meets. That way we can all get together.

I also think skinny riders should have to add ballast to their bikes to make it a bit evener
Old 07-May-2011, 15:03
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk

Power to weight could get messy if you ask me. I'd rather keep it as a sort of one make thing to keep it simple for the less techy newbies, and to keep checking eligibility as straight forward as possible.[/quote]

It's messy as it is! to many rules, power to weight any air cooled Ducati one rule how easy is that to control Bemsee do it with Thunder bikes works fine.
The less techy can just buy a 696 as you would like to do Ron & every one's a winner well maybe:
Old 07-May-2011, 15:18
Big Twin

If it is power/weight I could just have the Nemesis on my 848 tweaked to limit power and give me shedloads of torque!

Power/weight on the surface is straightforward, but the whole one-make/limited changes rule keeps things sensible on other costs - such as shocks/forks etc. If we are limited to small changes on one machine any amount of money shouldn't give anyone a real advantage (I think that is the main point of the series). Otherwise we just end up being another Minitwins/thunderbikes. I would like to keep things simpler than that.... it is the main reason I joined DD in the first place rather than any other series. I didn't have to know a lot about bikes... I could just go buy one and race knowing I could be competitive. If we mess with that, we could lose what the series is about (in my opinion).
Old 07-May-2011, 16:03
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Remember that when we started DD back in 2005 there were a few people that went out and dropped £5.5k on a new Monster / SS 620 to take part, as they were brand new out then.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!