Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 15-Dec-2004, 18:21
Mille

Tyre Poll

This part of the regulations has still not been fixed and we have an opportunity if we act quickly to voice our opinions and get what the collective majority actually want written into the rule book.

Be advised tho that the lean is currently towards option 1.

However the organisers would like to hear what we have to say and this poll is therefore only open to signed up competitors.

I happen to agree with Option 1, for the reasons given below.

Control tyre - closer racing based on ability and not budget
Collective tyre purchasing - reduced consumables cost
No warmers - reduced cost

And for the sneaky beakies be warned, the generator police will be out on patrol.

What does everyone else think. The subject will be closed out over the xmas hols - so its now or never if you have an opinion.
Old 15-Dec-2004, 18:29
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Happy to go with option 1.
That way (as stated) - its the cheapest option for all, no tyre warmers, no generators, no need for spare wheels.

Also - are you suggesting that there is a single type control tyre for both dry and wet or a control tyre for dry and a different wet control tyre?

I assume the former, but your poll suggests control tyres and not a control tyre.

I still think it should be one type tyre for both wet and dry ie a D207RR or similar.

Tim
Old 15-Dec-2004, 18:32
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally posted by Rattler
I still think it should be one type tyre for both wet and dry ie a D207RR or similar.

Yes - this would be my preferred choice too, to keep things simple and CHEAP!

Although, I'd have a preference for Bridgestones but maybe we could have a list of, say, 3 road legal tyres to choose from - all of the same level?

[Edited on 15-12-2004 by antonye]
Old 15-Dec-2004, 18:45
Mille

Discussions are underway with New Era regarding tyre choice / manufacturer / price - Monty is the man in the know - Bridgestones are being intimated - I've never ridden on Bridgestone tyres so I'm afraid I cannot comment - but if the're ify for you then there ify for me too.

Regarding tyre or tyres, what do you all think - 1 comprimise tyre for the year or go the whole hog and have distinct wet/inter/dry.

I would say one tyre type for the season because it stops the 3 sets of wheels, disks, tyres turning up at every round - which is what in effect it would allow and the cheque book pops up again.

The idea behind "competitors only" was not to exclude others in the discussion but merely in the vote. That way there will be no excuse for any gripes at a later date when you end up in the gravel and blame the tyres.
Old 15-Dec-2004, 18:48
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by uncledunnie
The idea behind "competitors only" was not to exclude others in the discussion but merely in the vote. That way there will be no excuse for any gripes at a later date when you end up in the gravel and blame the tyres.

Sorry - but I reserve the right to "end up in the gravel and blame the tyres" - whatever they are

Tim
Old 15-Dec-2004, 18:56
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Definitely one comprimise tyre for all - otherwise, as you say, it's 3 sets of tyres and wheels per bike.

And definitely NO tyre warmers
Old 15-Dec-2004, 18:57
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
I'd be happy to see the tyre rule allowing any road legal tyre. Let's face it, there's not a whole lot of difference in prices for all the different "top shelf" rubber.

Don't agree with one specific tyre as a rule, cos if it turns out to be, for example, Pirelli Corsas, then i'll be staying in the pits making coffee!

Not sure about wets... but initial thoughts are no wets, road tyres only.

Warmers... don't really care which way that goes!
Old 15-Dec-2004, 19:01
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
I haven't voted as I'm not competing (tempting though it is) but I would say that there should be a choice of control tyres - 2 or 3 makes. eg. When I raced I always prefered Dunlops to Michelins and would always lap faster with Dunlops, but there were plenty of others who were the exact opposite. Have a choice of tyres, just keep the really trick (expensive) stuff out. As for wets, I would always allow these, they make racing in the rain enjoyable and save loads of crashes which tend to cost more than a spare set of wheels. Just my thoughts though.

Whatever happens I'm looking forward to watching
Old 15-Dec-2004, 19:12
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by NBs996
I'd be happy to see the tyre rule allowing any road legal tyre. Let's face it, there's not a whole lot of difference in prices for all the different "top shelf" rubber.

Don't agree with one specific tyre as a rule, cos if it turns out to be, for example, Pirelli Corsas, then i'll be staying in the pits making coffee!

Nick - not sure I agree, if it was any road tyre, then I could use soft Supercorsas (my preffered choice) if it was very dry and then D207RRs (or similar if it was damp) - I'd then need 2 sets of wheels.

Unless you're suggesting that one type is selected by each rider and then he (or she) has to stick with that tyre - but difficult to police.

Steve M's idea of 3 different tyres that you could chose from is more viable I reckon as this would be a predefined list created by the organisers and would probably be a single type of tyre from Bridgestone, Dunlop or Michelin (perhaps).

Tim
Old 15-Dec-2004, 20:19
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Have always preffered Pirellis on my 900ss/900sl. I took off a half worn set of 207s and put Diablos on about a week after I got the SL. Best money spent so far.

If everyone wants a control tyre then I'll run with whatever the choice is without grumbling. I'd rather have something that was pretty good in dry & wet than something great in the dry and lethal in the wet.....

Ali