Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 14-Feb-2005, 02:40
Montjuic

Tank Range

I have a 999 for all my Sunday blasts and bought a Strada for touring.

I have found the tank range on the Strada very disappointing and wondered if there are any after market higher volume tanks available.

Anybody got any information ?
Old 14-Feb-2005, 12:10
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Never seen any, and probably highly unlikely the way the tank extends under the seat.

When you mention tank range are you just going of the fuel gauge which is notoriously pessimistic, often starts flashing empty at less than 100 miles but you still have about 7 to 8 litres left then.

It is very annoying but i deliberately ran mine dry once to find out before i did my John O'Groats to Lands End, and Sahara trips because i needed to know and couldn't trust the gauge. The problem is because the tank is so long and extends under the seat so even when the gauge reads empty there is actually a lot left in.

I work on the principle of fill up around 150 mile mark irrespective of the gauge and this still leaves some in reserve.

If the fuel light comes on before 85 miles then i've been thrashing it and may fill up a little earlier than 150 miles.
Old 21-Feb-2005, 01:03
Montjuic

Good thinking, I have never run it dry so will try this.

I have fitted Termi exhausts and done away with the cat and found the light coming on around 80 miles, not very good for my Europe tour each year.

Thanks for the suggestion will run it dry next time I go out.
Old 21-Feb-2005, 11:20
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Don't forget to take a petrol can with you, and kill the engine as soon as it starts spluttering.
Old 14-Jul-2005, 22:42
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
70 miles and the display shows empty, the light comes on and the miles to go drops to zero, fill up and it takes 6.2 litres WTF???? guess i'm save working on 9 - 10 miles to the litre then?
Old 14-Jul-2005, 22:55
Big Twin

Mood: This is a carbon free zone!
Ahhh!! the dreaded Multistrada FOOL gauge!! If you`ve seen how small amount of movement the sender has to play with and the angle it`s at you`d know why it`s ruddy hopeless,mine ran out with 158miles recorded,but 3 bars showing!
This topic has been done to death on Multistrada.net,just reset your trip every time and don`t trust the gauge!
Old 15-Jul-2005, 09:22
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by sparkin
Ahhh!! the dreaded Multistrada FOOL gauge!! If you`ve seen how small amount of movement the sender has to play with and the angle it`s at you`d know why it`s ruddy hopeless,mine ran out with 158miles recorded,but 3 bars showing!
This topic has been done to death on Multistrada.net,just reset your trip every time and don`t trust the gauge!

another nice ide spoilt by inability to make reliable electrics , i though the clocks giving all the fuel info was great on the test ride, just what i need for touring. Hate resetting the trip as i use autoroute guides and work off the mileage so its back to remembering what trip said at last fill up

i take it the consumption calculator uses actual fuel flow to work out mpg??
Old 15-Jul-2005, 17:48
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Hmmm....Steve999 and Gizmo, two more members with the 999S and Multistrada combo.

Looks like KeefyB is a trendsetter
Old 16-Jul-2005, 07:23
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by Jools
Hmmm....Steve999 and Gizmo, two more members with the 999S and Multistrada combo.

Looks like KeefyB is a trendsetter

Yep the fuel guage/computer is a bit of a joke.My bike ran out of gas yet the 'pooter calculated there was another 29 miles worth left in there.On average I can get 150 miles to a tankfull.About 140 miles in hooligan mode!
The low fuel light starts flickering around 80 miles,goes out,then stays on around 100miles.I use the trip meter everytime.