Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Jul-2006, 15:35
Mille

Mood: Don't trust women!
Would I de-value?

Probs another debate-starter, but I need people's oppinions...

My new (well to me) 748 needs tidying up a tad in the bodywork dept.

Now I was just going to get a re-spray back to the original red with original decals etc, with the exception of a carbon front fender and carbon airbox (so a red / black mix going on)...

BUT...

I have always liked the 'old' Monster Mob colour scheme used a few years back in BSB (if I remember right), and have thought about maby having the panels done like that?

Or...

Just all gloss (shiny) black panels with polished wheels, stainless exhaust guard, heal guards etc etc...

Just really wanting people's oppinions and views with regards to re-sale of the bike in the future. Will I de-value her with a after-market spray job (esp as it 'old' colours), or should I just put her back to her former (red) glory?

I do realise this is all to do with personal taste (and I always like to be different), but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot!

Cheers,

Diehard
Old 23-Jul-2006, 15:44
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
You won't devalue the bike, however as it's specific it will have to be a specific buyer who wants it, so you're restriciting your prospective market.

I think most people who want Ducatis want them in standard colours as it's more 'iconic' IMO.
Old 23-Jul-2006, 21:57
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 749R 2004

Mood: luvin' bein back out on the 'R'
you could always get some used panels of Ebay and do both !?
Old 23-Jul-2006, 23:09
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard

I have always liked the 'old' Monster Mob colour scheme used a few years back in BSB (if I remember right), and have thought about maby having the panels done like that?

Hello diehard,

If its your first 748, why not get to know the bike, see if you like it.
If so paint it as you would like and not worry about the resale value.

just a thought

TopiToo
Old 24-Jul-2006, 01:23
GTL

Mood: Older, but none the bleedin' wiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard
Probs another debate-starter, but I need people's oppinions...

Now I was just going to get a re-spray back to the original red with original decals etc, with the exception of a carbon front fender and carbon airbox (so a red / black mix going on)...

BUT...

Or...

Just all gloss (shiny) black panels with polished wheels, stainless exhaust guard, heal guards etc etc...

Just really wanting people's oppinions and views with regards to re-sale of the bike in the future. Will I de-value her with a after-market spray job (esp as it 'old' colours), or should I just put her back to her former (red) glory?

I do realise this is all to do with personal taste (and I always like to be different), but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot!

Cheers,

Diehard
Why was it resprayed in the first place? Was it accident damage?.
Old 24-Jul-2006, 09:06
Mille

Well Sharpy G, I am looking into that at mo mate as well as other avenues. Esp as the panels of eBay don't seem to be costing much.

As for the bike, I love her Topi... I have had many bikes and none(inc a 2000 750ss I owned), well none appart from one special bike I used to own, have ever really matched my riding style. But I love the 748 as it is exactly what I have been looking for, so no problem with seeing if I like her!

And re-sale value is something I always think about no-matter if it's a car or a bike. Just the weird way I am...

And finally the bike wasn't accident damaged Ducati Dad. It should be yellow but the guy I did a deal with for my GSXR 600, had bout scabby panels / wheels ready to paint the bike totally black, but then I came along... I later found he had the whole original body-kit and wheels still and sold them seperatly :-(, not a bg prob though as 1: it's still worth more than what the GSXR owed me in the current state 2: I like to tinker and 3: It's gives me options (hence the post)to be a little different...
Old 25-Jul-2006, 08:53
Mille
Bikes: 998Bip

Mood: Carbonara
I personally would pay extra for a well executed Monstermob paint job - yeah, I know it's personal, but I love 'em.

Spin
Old 25-Jul-2006, 10:38
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 1098R Bayliss Rep

Mood: Find people who share your values, and you'll conquer the world together.
yep, get the paint job done, then keep an eye out on flea bay for some origional panels at a cheap price , pop them inm the garage when it comes time to sell you can offer them along with the bike to increase the chances of a buyer who does not like the paint job and can swap the panels over.
Old 25-Jul-2006, 11:01
Mille

Some sensible thinking going on here... And the price I can get pro spray jobs done it would be daft not to have 2 sets...

Then again I have been looking at the red-bull paint job too... And Bayliss... and Hogson... where does it end!
Old 25-Jul-2006, 21:19
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: 748 sp,748 bip , 600ss dd,speed triple.

Mood: neeeeeeed piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie
i agree a well painted bike in any colour will NOT lower its VALUE just the no. who may want to buy it,my mates 748 is British racing green it looks well ard and always draws the crowds and i have NEVER herd anyone say it makes the bike look cheap!!!