Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 19-Jan-2005, 01:54
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Lockwire pliers & kit recommendations ???

Just as the post really - is it worthwhile paying more for a 'good' set or just find the cheapest possible.

I remember seeing some good ones on a Dennis Trollope stand recently but decided to wait......

Fleeced Franko
Old 19-Jan-2005, 09:43
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Personally if I am buying a tool that might involve my safety, I take the view of never skimping on quality.

It is a false economy to wire lock bolts and not do it properly. you cant do it properly with a cheap £5 pair of pliers and have the cerainty that it wont come apart.

Get the right tool for the job.

Chris
Old 19-Jan-2005, 10:32
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
You could always do it by hand! I was taught when in the RAF, took five minutes to learn the principles then a bit of practice is all it takes.

The problem with lockwire pliers is that to the untrained they can be useless for the simple reason that it's not that easy to get a "feel" for how tight the twisting is. Too tight and the wire will overstress and snap.

I have a set of pliers in the toolbox but never use them, unless I'm twisting a long run of wire, say around the sprocket bolts, and then it's only cos I'm lazy. If anyone wants me to show them how to do this, I would be happy to at the first meet. It really is not difficult - honest!
Old 19-Jan-2005, 10:36
BSB Star

Addendum:

FWIW, on the Vulcan bomber, there were certain items that were lockwired with a straight run, ie: NO twist. In particular the canopy jettison cartridge. This was a long tube that screwd into a base unit. You started the wiring at the top, wrapped it around the tube once in a clockwise direction (viewed from the top) and after passing it through the bottom holes, gave the "tail" half a dozen twists to hold it in place.

In my own opinion, modern locking methods such as lock washers, nuts and even Loktite is far superior to lockwire, and infinately more reliable in most applications.
Old 19-Jan-2005, 10:44
Mille

I'm lucky enough to have a pair of lock-wire pliers - about 40 years old - compliments of my father.

I agree with Weeksy, you can lockwire perfectly well with a cheap set of pliers - if you know what your doing.

To me the most important item is not the pliers but the wire that you use. There are many different grades available and not any old bit of wire will do because it will break when it is twisted too much.

Demon Tweaks do a range of weights and roll sizes depending on the application. I'm sure other people do too.
Old 19-Jan-2005, 12:33
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
sump plug, oil filter, and..........what's the third?
Old 19-Jan-2005, 13:08
Mille

oil filler cap, I believe
Old 19-Jan-2005, 13:47
Mille

Old 19-Jan-2005, 15:42
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by chicken
sump plug, oil filter, and..........what's the third?

How you gonna lockwire the oil filter then? On aircraft filters they have a little tag on the top to run the wire through, but I don't recall seeing one on and Ducati filter I've ever fitted.
Old 19-Jan-2005, 16:54
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Only 3, I will definetley be doing 5 otherwise I will risk failing, it was 5 on my Fireblade and also on my CBR600s, I haven't studdied the 600SS closely enough yet to know the total. On the 916 it was also 5, on a later 996 or 998 it would be 3.

As for a tool, you could always use a cup hook in the end of a drill, to twist the wires. I have a proper tool and get my wire from either raceparts UK or Denis Trollope. We get through a fair bit at the IOM with all calliper bolts done, fork pinch bolts etc.