Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-May-2004, 18:43
Big Twin
Bikes: 916SPS Ratbike + 749R Shed

Mood: Ugly girls (749) are more dirty.....
Front Sprocket Output Shaft - \"End Float\"

Was oiling my chain last night and noticed that as I turned the wheel, there was a slight "clunk" every few seconds.
I removed the front sprocket cover and noticed that there was about 1 to 2 mm of end float (in/out) on the sprocket output shaft - with accompanying "clunk" noise at the extremes of travel.
I know that the sprocket itself has float on the shaft - it wasn't the sprocket making the noise but the shaft.

Question: IS THIS NORMAL??

Anybody got an idea to put my mind at rest?

Cheers,

Richard
Old 12-May-2004, 18:50
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
End float on the shaft should be 0.1mm +/- 0.05mm. Does the shaft rotate OK? Could be a bearing that has gone? If not, then it's down to the shimming of the shafts.
Spotted this on a customers bike and after a lot of arguing with Ducati I believe he got it rectified under warranty. The shaft had never seen a shim!!!
Have you seen any "shim like" bits in the oil? It could have broken and fell out?
Old 13-May-2004, 09:09
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by nelly
End float on the shaft should be 0.1mm +/- 0.05mm. Does the shaft rotate OK? Could be a bearing that has gone? If not, then it's down to the shimming of the shafts.
Spotted this on a customers bike and after a lot of arguing with Ducati I believe he got it rectified under warranty. The shaft had never seen a shim!!!
Have you seen any "shim like" bits in the oil? It could have broken and fell out?

Nelly, thanks for the response...I was hoping that you would reply.

Does the shaft rotate OK? Yes, it's fine
Could be a bearing that has gone? I don't think so
Have you seen any "shim like" bits in the oil? No, oil change about a month ago was fine!

My bike is miles out of warranty (1996)..
I wil get a dialgauge and quantify the actual float.
What do you think could have caused this (never have run the chain too tight, it's always on the loose side of just right!)and if it HAS lost a shim, will it lead to shaft seizure etc??
Cheers,
Richard
Old 13-May-2004, 10:06
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
If the shim has broken and fell out, then I doubt it'd cause seizure. It'd more than likely get chewed to little pieces!!
I don't think think this will be the case though. I'd guess it never had one in there in the first place. Possibly '96 specs allowed a bigger float? Not sure.
The bike I had in was just out of warranty but was sorted as it was deemed that it never had a shim in there in the first place. '96 is a long time ago though, so I think you'd struggle on that one.
Is the front sprocket showing any abnormal wear to one side more than the other? If not then the shaft float isn't affecting the chain line too much. Has the gear change been OK? If so, then the meshing up of the gear clusters isn't being affected.
"If it 'aint broke.......don't mess with it" might be in order here? It's not technically right, but if it's all working OK then is it worth a full rip down to shim that shaft up? Only you can answer that one, but I'd be inclined to leave it..............
Old 13-May-2004, 14:29
Big Twin

Nelly,

That's exactly the type of answer I am looking for!
I am also the type who supports "if it ain't broke..." philosophy.
Bike appears to be going well (any comments from other Intermediate Grp riders from Cadwell who may wish to agree ??).
Gear change is slick n' sweet...sprocket wear looks pretty normal (will remove and check to confirm)...
'96 spec for end float is the same 0.1 +/-0.05mm.

I'll keep an eye on it and leave it for the mo'.

Thanks again for your techchy response.

Richard