Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Prev   Next
Old 21-Dec-2009, 18:33
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
How are you doing in the snow?

Worst I've seen for a long while. Took me 2.5 hours to get to and from work as the trains were so bad on top of the 50% service due to a strike, but I had to get into the office otherwise, I would have stayed at home. Thursday night I spent 5 hours until 2.00am on the hill I live on helping people. We had 6 inches of snow on top of ice. After hours of pushing cars, I took the executive decision to close the road, a main road through the town. I found some cones and closed the bottom then ran up to the top of the hill and put some full bin bags over the road. We had about 20 cars and buses and vans abandoned in various random places on the road, it was completely blocked and even 4x4's were slipping 10 metres before bashing into the kerb. We then helped as many as possible get off the road, but most just had to leave their cars and walk. Amazing the amount of people who tried to move the cones and wouldn't listen or even look at the mess they could see in front of them but insisted they could make it - they didn't, unlucky. Got some real abuse from people. No gritting on a major road and a steep hill at that, don't know what the council plan was but it didn't work. Snow hasn't gone and more over the weekend. More again today on top of the poor conditions and it's like an ice rink again. I moved my car off the hill as it was only luck that it was not hit by the sliding cars. I put it in the local car park that had 6 inches of snow and is on a hill. It took me 20 minutes to get 20metres as it's an auto with fat tyres and even although it's got 4WD, if I put it in drive and still with my foot on the brake, just the power of the engine ticking over made it go forward with my foot still on the brake, so I had the mad situation of taking my foot off the brake to lurch forward in order to get control not knowing if it will stop. Plus, with the wheels on full lock to the right, it went straight on, crazy situation trying to get into a parking space. M25 is solid, so my town is near static. There is just one track of tyre lines but when the traffic dies down, the snow will land and make my road unpassable again. There will be a lot of people stuck in their cars tonight. You know that advice you hear but never take notice of cause it won't ever happen to you? Take it! Don't drive and if you do, take a shovel, a bag of grit, a flask of something hot, food, warm clothes, waterproofs, boots/wellies, a blanket, phone charger for the car etc etc.

Looks much worth up north.

WeeJohnyB

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit