Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Apr-2005, 18:15
Mille

Mood: Need spares
Noise level testing

How is the noise level tested on track days for individual bikes ? Is it based on a fly by or static next to the bike ?
I've got hold of a sound level meter and I want to simulate the test to find out exactly how loud the bike is.

Barmy I know but have toys will play.

[Edited on 15-4-2005 by tricky]
Old 16-Apr-2005, 00:20
Mille

At Donington the measurement is taken from the pitwall by the bridge - don't know what the max level at that point is tho'
Old 18-Apr-2005, 13:13
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Different circuits use different methods, if they bother at all.

E.g. Goodwood did a static test last time I was there a few years ago, noise meter about half metre from the exhaust at angle of 45 degress then revs at whatever the tester thinks!!

Croft. Never seen a noide meter at the place, same at Cadwell.

If you are gonna do yer own testing there are loads of things that can affect readings, no least how open a area you test in, the wind direction etc, etc. Also rememebr that the DB scale is logarithmic,??? i.e three DB more is twice as loud, i.e. 103 DB is twice 100db.

Don't let this put you off, just search the web for circuit info, trackday companies websites or even call the circuit to ask what the limit and more importantly how they test.

Another caveat is that even if you "pass" the test with your own meter you could still "fail" at your chosen circuit due to the factors above, not least of which the circuit won't be using your meter!!

Noise is becoming an ever more sensitive issue, but it's not an exact science unfortunately as the open air is not the best laboratory to work in.

Ray