Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-May-2006, 16:45
Mille

Mood: Beige.....
Wow ! A real Ducati *person* reading this here text
I agree with 'gossa' - Ducati wouldn't have devised the 999 shape without genuine reason. Many hours spent working on aerodynamics to allow the bike to flow thru the air as much as direct in cool air wouldn't have been designed solely by an artist.
Look at the likes of the GSXR K6 range, personally I think they look quite ugly, but they work very well. It must be real hard to allow the look of a bike not overwhelm it's functional design. The Harrier was always a weird looking H.O.T.O.L craft that the American Navy made look even more strange , but theirs had added functionality and was much-o faster.

[Edited on 26-5-2006 by desmobob]
Old 26-May-2006, 22:05
Mille

So if you're reading Tim, and we appreciate that you are, why don't put pressure on MCN to stop running that mock up that is sending the wrong message to every sector of the market including the trade, existing and potential owners? I feel that you guys are not communicating the bologna message to the uk media sufficiently . the uk is obsssed with numbers,horsepower verses weight verses cost. You can't put a number on the feeling, an emotion and that is what riding a ducati is all about. If the mock ups do not give a fair representation of the direction you're gong, set the record straight.
Old 26-May-2006, 22:11
Mille

sorry for the crap punctuation, i'm on my pda mobile with that rubbish little stylus!
Old 26-May-2006, 22:13
Mille

So if you're reading Tim, and we appreciate that you are, why don't put pressure on MCN to stop running that mock up that is sending the wrong message to every sector of the market including the trade, existing and potential owners? I feel that you guys are not communicating the bologna message to the uk media sufficiently . the uk is obsssed with numbers,horsepower verses weight verses cost. You can't put a number on the feeling, an emotion and that is what riding a ducati is all about. If the mock ups do not give a fair representation of the direction you're gong, set the record straight.
Old 27-May-2006, 01:08
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
there is no way that MCN mock up will be built by Ducati like that. Ducati has a reputation as being a true design house, despite what some feel about the 749/999. Design wise it is consistent, radical and innovative.

That mock up is at best a b*stardisation of organic and angular design philosophies. It has no consistancy, there is no new concept behind it, and worst of all it would be a capitulation. To call it a pastiche would be overgenerous. At least a pastiche pays homage to a previous design icon in a somewhat less comical way. I cant use the word I would like to use as it would probably offend.

If anyone at MCN thinks that will be built then they have got all their design knowledge from Changing Rooms. On the plus side they maybe handy with a paint brush and offer to pop over and finish my decorating

I can only guess that Ducati feel its beneath them to comment and that nothing would be gained by commenting. Who needs enemies in the press?

[Edited on 27-5-2006 by 749er]
Old 27-May-2006, 12:18
Mille

Mood: I've bought a 900SL!
here here!
From my view of the developement of the sports bike ranges ducati produce, there are always step changes , ie the SS range underwent a significant style change with the SSie even though the core components didnt change that much . The Next superbike whatever it looks like wont or at least shoudn't be a re-hash of pervious versions be 888,916 999 etc i hope it will be unique in its own right. That way the models past and present stand on thier own merits. and if you want the sexy looks of the 916 or blunt racer of the 888 or angular 999 you can pick one that suites your preference.

Personally if I had the means to colect ducatis I'd have one of the 888 models to go with my now owned 999.
I'd have to miss out the 916 range as having had a 916 I'd could only own one now as an objectd'art cos I just dont fit them and I need to ride what I own not just look at but these are just my prefernces. Plus Id have to have a yellow 900superlight too. i can but dream. cant i?
Old 21-Aug-2006, 12:22
Mille

Mood: In danger of scaring myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo
i don't think this is MCN's fault, its Ducati's inability to accept that the way they market product and released info to the press has not adapted to reflect the changes the internet has brought and the need for printed magazines to beat the websites with stories. |The new bike must be past the concept stage , taking a critical path back from a November launch in Milan means that given a "normal"lead time of 60 -90 days for components, time to run a small preproduction batch, manufacturing moulds for fairings and other unique parts and testing it all works, the design has to be somewhere near final now. Compare the route Ducati take to a succesful European brand like Triumph which is increasing sales , they allow limited press publication of the prototyping and testing of new models in the likes of MCN, it doesn't harm sales as the dealers and customers then know what is coming not speculating on it. I don't understand why Ducati don't releave visuals on concepts onto their own website to stop the speculation other than thinking they'll lose the impact from its launch, not much use if you've lost 5 month sales and upset dealers and customers in the process.

I'm with you on that one. The new 1198/S/R bike must be close to or nearing completion in terms of the design. November is not that far away and as you say, tooling up, even for preproduction is a time consuming process, so we have to conclude that the bike is, bar a few last minute changes due to test results and costs, almost complete. I was not entirely convinced by the spy shots in the Italian "MotoSprint" magazine of the bike circling Mugello, as even with the black gaffa tape all over the fairing panels, it was at best a test mule for the mechanical components and if you can "let your guard down" quite that publically, it smacks of nothing short of a red herring visually to keep the press guessing. I like the idea of Ducati issuing some pre production concept sketches though. They would do well to get the feedback before they launch the new bike (as with the HyperMotard) before they commit commercial suicide and unveil the unthinkable (a rehashed 999). Let's hope thats not the case and that Alan Jenkins or the like has a hand in it's design as the Demosedici he penned is just gorgeous and leagues ahead of Terblanches recent abominations. If you disagree with that, then the post 999 introduction era which heralded poor sales figures, ought to back up my last statement.

Last edited by Rod : 21-Aug-2006 at 12:26.
Old 21-Aug-2006, 12:28
Mille

Mood: In danger of scaring myself
Another "Spy Shot" of 999 replacement

Not seen this one in the cluster released by "MotoSprint" magazine, so here it is from another angle and somewhat better quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 570neuheit07ducati1098eq4.jpg (30.3 KB, 101 views)
Old 21-Aug-2006, 22:35
Mille

Mood: Bring the noise!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod
I'm with you on that one. The new 1198/S/R bike must be close to or nearing completion in terms of the design. November is not that far away and as you say, tooling up, even for preproduction is a time consuming process, so we have to conclude that the bike is, bar a few last minute changes due to test results and costs, almost complete. I was not entirely convinced by the spy shots in the Italian "MotoSprint" magazine of the bike circling Mugello, as even with the black gaffa tape all over the fairing panels, it was at best a test mule for the mechanical components and if you can "let your guard down" quite that publically, it smacks of nothing short of a red herring visually to keep the press guessing. I like the idea of Ducati issuing some pre production concept sketches though. They would do well to get the feedback before they launch the new bike (as with the HyperMotard) before they commit commercial suicide and unveil the unthinkable (a rehashed 999). Let's hope thats not the case and that Alan Jenkins or the like has a hand in it's design as the Demosedici he penned is just gorgeous and leagues ahead of Terblanches recent abominations. If you disagree with that, then the post 999 introduction era which heralded poor sales figures, ought to back up my last statement.

Yeap......Like your thinking mate
Old 21-Aug-2006, 22:46
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Personally, I think anyone would give them a better design than any of Terblanche's efforts for them.
They do seem to oscillate between great visual designs and complete dogs tho ... think back to the 860-series-dogs sandwiched between the bevel-SS and the Darmah, the F1 series then the Paso-dogs followed by the carby-belt-SS designs.
Here's hoping !