Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-May-2004, 22:36
Mille

Mood: .
HELP! - Ventura luggage system

Greetings.

Ordered and received my Ventura luggage system for my '02 748 BIP a while back and got round to fitting it (trying to at any rate) this evening.

The parts i received were
- PF16/B Ventura pack rack
- D008/B L-bar pieces and the U-piece (for 748, 916 Biposto)

My problem is this. I have all the parts fitted, U-piece and the two L-bars and the seat even closes with all this in place BUT when i put the Pack-rack on with it over the seat, there is no way in hell it will drop in to the L-brackets without touching the seat. In fact it touches the seat well before the bits going in to the l-bracket are any where near far enough in.

I am open to the suggestion that i have done something wrong here...... but the prize goes to whoever can tell me what it is!!!

Ta muchly.
Old 11-May-2004, 22:42
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
The pack rack *always* goes so that the rack points out from the seat, not over it.

The "over the seat" option simply refers to the way the bags can be placed either over the seat or behind, depending on if you're carrying passengers or not.

If you haven't got a Ventura bag, then you really should buy one to go with it because it's so much easier than trying to bungee a rucksack or similar to the back of the bike! They really are worth the money once you've used it a couple of times.

Hope this helps,
Old 11-May-2004, 22:48
Mille

Ahhh......

That might explain it.... (where's the embarrassed as hell smiley??)

I just assumed the orientation referred to the pack-rack as well as the pack.

Cheers matey.

Yes i have the ventura bag as well. The 45l spada if i remember correctly.

Truth be told, i had binned the hopeless instructions near the start of the operation. Perhaps should have read a little further on.

[Edited on 11-5-2004 by MarkyMark76]

Old 11-May-2004, 22:54
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Excellent choice sir!

Yes, it does seem a bit odd that when putting the bag over the pillion seat that you still have to have the rack bit pointing outwards, but that's just the way it is.

By the way, if you've got a single seat unit, get a cloth of some description and tape it to the top surface of the seat to stop the bag rubbing and messing up your paint like mine did. You also want to put some tape (I use red Duck tape!) along the top of the lights because it sometimes rubs there too.
Old 11-May-2004, 22:56
Mille

Hang on though.

I've been browsing through the DSC products/discounts/regalia section and there is a picture of a 996R with the rack 'in over'. Is it different for the mono?

Old 11-May-2004, 23:04
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Well I never...

Let's just say that I had exactly the same problems as you then - I have a small ("sports") rack and it does fit over the way shown, but my large rack which takes the bag doesn't.
Old 11-May-2004, 23:16
DSC Club Rep
Big Twin
Bikes: 848

Yeah, mine fits as per the pictures, so the rack can either be over the seat if riding solo, or out behind it to allow pillion. cant say what might be up with yours Mark... can you take any piccies and post so we can see?
Old 12-May-2004, 11:07
Mille

Just spoken to Motohaus (who are the uk distributors for Ventura) and they reckon the rack pack should be mountable in either orientation on the BIP.

If that's the case i've done something very wrong. Going to have another check over it tonight. Will try and get some pics as well.

Anyone else with a BIP have this problem?
Old 12-May-2004, 14:07
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
To be honest, when I first read the instructions from Ventura it did occur to me that the rack AND bag should be forward facing when there's no pillion - as per the supplied pictures above.

However, on my SS there's no way it will go forward facing due to the grab rail. The only way I could make it forward facing is to cut out some of the thin metal cross bars from the rack, which I am reluctant to do.

See a couple of pics here -

http://www.kapital-sales.co.uk/desmo/images/ventura/

One thing I will say as a word of caution is to be careful when slotting the rack into and out of place with the brackets. Within the first week I put three chips in my paint work as the rack slipped when putting it on or removing it. I learned pretty quickly how to do it, but if the fit is at all tight on yours make sure your hand is around the base of each rack stem. Better to pinch your skin against bike and rack than take chunks out of paint work.

Overall I'm quite happy with the Ventura rack. I ride to work every day and my back is surely thanking me for not having to carry a backpack every day!

Phill

[Edited on 12-5-2004 by phillc]
Old 12-May-2004, 18:00
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Mark I have a Ventura System fitted to my 996bip I can take a few pictures of it so you can see the way it goes if you like 4D

So long as you have the silver thick spacer washers for the rear(Tail )brackets it should fit as seen. The pack can then be forward facing if no one is on the back or rear facing if they are . Make sure you tighten up the pinch nuts on the retaining finger boltsthat lock the pack to the frame, if that makes sense as they can loosen on a hard journey 4D

[Edited on 12-5-2004 by Fordie]

[Edited on 12-5-2004 by Fordie]