Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Feb-2005, 17:54
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
'enry,

At cadwell we'll have 20 minute sessions (probably about 18 mins in reality), and it's only ever taken me a lap and an arf to get the tyres as hot as they're going be... that's about 3 minutes. No warmers. Depends what rubber you're using of corse!

Weaving about on the track doesn't tend to warm tyres very quickly... when the pro's do it they're probably trying to scrub off releasing agent rather than warm they rubber. Feeding power thru the back tyre, and fairly heavy on the front brake will convert energy to heat. Or just blag some tyre warmers!

Just my opinion of corse. Most important thing to remember is cakes and wine

[Edited on 28-2-2005 by NBs996]
Old 28-Feb-2005, 18:06
Big Twin

Hmmm .... should the cakes and wine go into the Track Day Newbies Guide that I was thinking of writing (from my own experiences and questions answered)

I have bought some tyre warmers now anyway. Wife decided that compared to the risk of falling off, it was a justifiable purchse.

Hey .. I shoudl have been a salesman!

Henry
P.S. Now I better make damn sure I don't low-side it anyway after all that!
Old 28-Feb-2005, 18:20
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Echo what Nick said. Haven't done that many track days, but never had the tyres give a mm in the dry no matter how silly I've been.

I also tend to take about 1.5 laps of a decent size track before getting up to pace, might not seem like much but there's always someone who comes off on the warmup lap. The ultimate muppet award!!

Remember, all the warmers in the world won't help much on a damp/wet track. Take care and keep it upright.

Cheers,

Ali
Old 28-Feb-2005, 18:26
Ducati in my Blood

I want a wife like Henry's!
"But darling, magnesium wheels are SOOOO much safer!"

ok ok, I'm leaving.
Old 28-Feb-2005, 18:28
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Even though I had a spill trying to push a front 207RR too hard before it had warmed up properly, I'm not convinced about tyre warmers on track days unless you're ultra comitted.

First off, once you get the call for your group to muster, it's often enough of a faff trying to finish your pasty, stub your fag out, put your mobile away, get your jacket, lid and gloves back on and off to the pit lane without fiddling around with tyre warmers and gennies.

Then once you're in the pit lane or other holding area you can be there for five minutes with your nicely warmed tyres cooling off again.

As NBS says a few steady laps building the pace up gradually should see your tyres as warm as they're gonna be before too many laps are out. Depends on quite a lot of variables though, how long is the lap? How abrasive is the track? Is it a hot day or freezing cold? What type of tyres do you have - some take longer to warm than others? Let me tell you now that 207RR's take more than two and a half laps of Rockingham National on a chilly October morning.

Taking steady laps at the start of each session is what you should be doing as a track day virgin anyway isn't it?

I try and do 2 slow laps, then build the pace up gradually until I'm going for it around lap 5 (helps me warm up and get back into the flow as well). I find that I still get plenty of quick laps in - sometimes too many 'cos I'm knackered at the end of a session.

While we're talking about being knackered, most track day spills happen on the first session after lunch and the last session of the day. This is probably because digesting your lunch and the increased blood sugar levels makes you a little drowsy and combined with the fact that you're probably getting a bit cocky by now after the morning sessions. On the last session, beware the little voices inside your head telling you to put a banzai lap in because you'll have been working hard both physically and mentally by this point and you'll be more tired than you think.
Old 28-Feb-2005, 18:56
Big Twin

Points taken.

Warmers are a done deed, so I will try them I guess. It might be that for early/late season they are an advantage, and any heat in the tyres will mean it takes less time to warm them up. I dunno. You might see them on eBay before the year's out .. or you might see them on a 600 in the Desmodue

Yes, I would be taking it easy as a track day virgin.

On the type of tyres, I am running Diablos on the 749.

Now ... I wonder if wifey will let me race her Monster 620 in the Desmodue next year? Um darling ....
Old 28-Feb-2005, 19:10
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
tyre warmers are well worthwhile imho.

from my own personal experience i get more confidence with them on, still have a slightly more gentle first lap to get in the rythm and let the bike 'settle' down but then i'm pretty much at my (very limited) maximum. if i get even 1 extra decent lap per session then thats and extra whole session per trackday or an extra whole trackday for every 7.
its very much a confidence thing. i know people who go much quicker than me on colder tyres but for now it works for me.

tyre warmers will also extend the life of your tyres by keeping the number of heat cycles to a minimum.
Old 28-Feb-2005, 19:16
Ducati in my Blood

Warmers aren't just about getting the tyres hot tho... if they're left on between sessions they'll serve two purposes.
First they'll help keep the tyres withing a certain heat range all day, preventing the rubber degredation through heat cycles - heat cycles make a lot of difference when the tyres are at TRACK temp rather than riding-to-work temp;
and secondly, they'll heat up the wheel rims, thus providing an additional heat supply to the tyre whilst waiting in the collecting area.

So it's a perfectly good choice to get them warmers.

Last year I was rolling round on 208GP's, which heat up just by turning the engine on! Probably not a good choice for lots of road miles tho, but that's a different thread!
Old 28-Feb-2005, 19:23
Big Twin

Ta. I feel a bit better about spending the dosh now.

I think the most dificult thing for me will be "geting a good night's sleep the nigt before", which was menioned up above somewhere. I'm excited, (and equally nervous) now and it's 4 weeks away!

Henry
Old 28-Feb-2005, 19:27
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
yes it's all good fun. especially waiting to go out just before your first session.

they usually have revolving doors on the toilets for the first timers.

one things for sure we've all been there.

you'll love it.